What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mason most hated ... again

gong_eagle

First Grade
By James Phelps
July 27, 2007 12:00am

IT comes as no surprise that Willie Mason has been voted the player fans love to hate for the third year in a row.
The 115kg giant is the NRL's chief trash talker and a man with a child-like nature who is capable of destroying teams - and crushing their fans' hearts.
Mason's afro might be long gone but fans yesterday confirmed he is still a target, with 26 per cent of respondents voting the former Clive Churchill Medal winner as the player they love to hate.
In an exclusive Daily Telegraph fan survey, Mason was voted at the top of the love-to-hate category ahead of Roosters forward Braith Anasta and Brisbane pair Toni Carroll and Justin Hodges.
But fans also confirmed Mason's standing as one of the most respected players, voting him the second-toughest player behind Eels back-rower Nathan Hindmarsh.
One of the most controversial players in the NRL, Mason yesterday welcomed being voted as the most "hated" player in the game.
"I am in good company on that list," he said. "I don't take any of it personally. As long as the fans respect the way I play, it's OK."
Mason joked that the fans who voted in the survey "must be Queenslanders", and said his favourite sledge was being called "Willie the w . . . . .".
"Willie the w . . . . . seems to go pretty good, especially when there are 50,000 Queenslanders singing it," Mason said.
"North of the border it gets a bit harsher but fans love to hate me. You can't really ignore it. Hopefully they see me as the one who can be the danger to their team.
"When I am on the field it gets pretty harsh but off the field most people are pretty good."
Mason agreed his talent, profile and outspoken views contributed to his standing as the player fans love to hate - but he wouldn't have it any other way. "I don't mind it, they have the chance to give it to me so they might as well."
Mason said it was a privilege to be voted as one of the toughest players in the game and singled out teammate Mark O'Meley and Brisbane pair Petero Civoniceva and Darren Lockyer for special mention.
"Those guys are tough," Mason said. "I think Petero is the toughest. He does it week in, week out."
Mason's team, the Bulldogs, were voted the team fans loved to hate (27 per cent) but also the most supported (12 per cent).

SOURCE: http://www.news.com.au/sundaytelegraph/story/0,,22140592-5001023,00.html

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
He is a goose. He has opinions on anything and everything and speaks on behalf of other plays, which is just stupid.

Paullyboy

Coach
Willie Mason is by far the most entertaining player to listen to. He may be outspoken, but at least he's honest and he often speaks a lot of sense.

I'd take that any day over the dribblers who are too afraid of saying something controversial so resort to the old "one game at a time" crap.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Paullyboy said:
Willie Mason is by far the most entertaining player to listen to. He may be outspoken, but at least he's honest and he often speaks a lot of sense.

I'd take that any day over the dribblers who are too afraid of saying something controversial so resort to the old "one game at a time" crap.

I agree, Mason is good value most of the time and one of the worlds premier forwards

:lol: He's also right about a lot of the people hating him being cane toads

BlueFenix

Juniors
Mason's a machine.

Hopefully all the 'hate' means that know one will try a sign the big fella as it may upset their fans :mrgreen:.

Recently you can see what an effect Willie has on the team, they all seem to lift with Willie on the field and playing. I am glad we have signed him to a longish contract and I hope that the NRL re-thinks the loyalty payments so we can have him a dog for life.

Willie for captain.

Corbin

Juniors
If only he had signed with the Roosters when he was given the chance a few years ago :(

Charlie124

First Grade
Ive become a huge Mason fan over the last probably 2 seasons, he's outspoken and a bit of a dickhead but thats what makes him entertaining to watch.

Id have voted Jamie Lyon

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Fat head, big mouth brilliant combination that suits him perfectly.

Entertaining? Nah. Glad some people like him thou at least he has some fans.

He should leave the talking to the professionals and do what he should be doing and that's playing footy.