What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mason wants to follow NFL dream

Frederick

Staff member
Mason wants to follow NFL dream
By James Hooper
June 9, 2006

WILLIE Mason has always been a showman. The bigger the occasion, the greater the challenge, the better the New South Wales Origin enforcer performs.

list_bullet_red.gif
Mason: Cauldron holds no fear
But Mason boldly underlined the greatest challenge in his elite sporting career last night, revealing a desire to feature on the biggest stage in US sport: the National Football League.

MainGame can reveal that Mason's management team has sent a video highlights tape including footage of the forwards' devastating try in Origin I to numerous NFL teams.

Despite having inked a four-year deal with the Bulldogs until the end of 2009 last year, Mason is prepared to consider walking away from the Belmore club.

Six NFL clubs - Oakland Raiders, San Fransisco 49ers, New York Jets, New York Giants, Buffalo Bills and San Diego Chargers - are expected to hold talks with Mason's agent, Greg Keenan, in the US over the next fortnight.

And the last Australian export to star in the NFL's front line, Colin Scotts, has predicted Mason's essential combination of size, power, speed, balance and willingness is the perfect recipe for success in American football.

But for Mason, the reasoning is much simpler.

The challenge of cutting it in the multi-million-dollar elite echelon of US professional sport, where 130 million people watch the Super Bowl each year, is what dazzles.

"It would be an unbelievable challenge and it would be a massive stage like
nothing I've ever experienced," Mason said.

"I've always wondered when I've watched the NFL if I was born in the States how good I'd go at it.

"There'd be heaps to learn, but for me that's half the challenge, I just reckon the whole experience would be awesome."

Former St Louis Cardinals defensive end Scotts has volunteered to assist Mason by helping to open doors to some of the NFL's top teams.

Scotts has earmarked the position of offensive right tackle as perfect, meaning Mason would stand in the front line of defence for the team holding the ball and protect the quarterback, running backs and wide receivers.

"Willie is super quick for a big man and, in terms of balance, he's got beautiful co-ordination for a man of his size," Scotts said.

"He's also got those huge long arms that scouts look for in the NFL, big hands to go with them and from the look of his statistics he's a powerful man.

"I know a good friend of mine in Hawaii who knows every NFL team so he can open up doors for him to get in somewhere.

"I'd be fascinated to see another Aussie get over there and have a go and Willie Mason has got that tough temperament to make a fist of it.

"Welcome to the most intense, competitive, complex game in the world; Willie is still young enough, so why not have a go?"

MainGame understands Raiders head of professional recruitment Ed Dodds was immediately impressed when informed of Mason's statistics.

"He's how big? And he runs that quick. Yeah, of course we'd be interested in having a look at him," Dodds said.

And Jets Director of Professional Scouting Brendon Prophett responded: "Wow. I bet he could run over a few cats."

The dossier on Mason reads: running 20m in 2.76sec, 40m in 4.89sec; bench pressing 170kg for one repetition and leg squatting 220kg.

Mason's agent Keenan denied arranging meetings with NFL clubs in the next fortnight, but MainGame understands they have been scheduled.

"I'll be in the US on business in the next fortnight but I'm not going to say what sort of business I'm there on," Keenan said.

If Mason opted to depart the Bulldogs kennel, it would mean severing the final three seasons of a $1.6 million contract.

While it would hurt leaving the teammates with whom he won a premiership in 2004, and the club to which he has shown tremendous loyalty for the past seven seasons, it's a sacrifice Mason is willing to make.

Again, the reasoning is simple. In terms of rugby league milestones there is little left for Mason to conquer;
  • HE collected the Clive Churchill medal as the best player on the field in the Bulldogs' 2004 premiership triumph over Sydney Roosters.
  • HE has played 17 Tests for Australia since debuting for the Kangaroos in 2002.
  • HE has made five Origin appearances, collecting man-of-the-match honours in Origin I this year.
Mason has nominated Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Terrell Owens as his favourite NFL player, saying: "He's the guy in the NFL I reckon rocks."

In the NFL, each team has a salary cap of $102 million to spend on playing talent per year - more than 25 times the $4 million beneath which NRL teams must balance their 25 top-line players next season.

Five Australians have previously qualified to star in the NFL: Scotts, Darren Bennett, Ben Graham, Mat McBriar and Colin Ridgeway.

But only Scotts graduated for the rough and tumble arena of the NFL front line, making it as a defensive end and defensive tackle for St Louis Cardinals, Phoenix Cardinals and Houston Oilers after being drafted from the University of Hawaii in 1987.

The other Australian exports used AFL backgrounds to make it as punters, whose job is just to kick the ball.

Despite Scott's glowing endorsement of Mason, the last rugby league forward to try his luck on an American football scholarship was cautious about the daring switch of codes.

Retired Kangaroos, NSW and Balmain Tigers forward Paul Sironen, who won a scholarship to the University of Hawaii in 1984, believes Mason has a huge mountain in front of him, but by no means an impossible one.

"Getting into a whole new code of football, it obviously looks exciting and lucrative with all the hype surrounding it but it's a lot of learning too," Sironen said.

"Tight end is a pretty good position and Willie would have all the skills to handle that - but the hardest part would be the learning curve.

"It's a pretty hard learning curve, it would take him at least 12 months to get a handle on things and fit in with it."

In seven years in the NRL, Willie Mason has distinguished himself as a special talent.

If ever there was a player suited to the brash, flash, showmanship of American football, Mason is the man. Bring on the bling.

The Daily Telegraph
LINK

Special K

Coach
They run this story every few years. Last time it was SBW.

Mason isn't quick enough to be a running back. Just because you are big and can move doesn't mean you can play it - look at Brock Lesnar.

He is right but.. TO does rock(shame he left philly ffs)

fatshark

Bench
Yeah sounds great, I can see it now."Willie,hold onto the guy next to you for 5 seconds, thats it". Big challenge!

C.P

Juniors
Special K said:

Mason isn't quick enough to be a running back. Just because you are big and can move doesn't mean you can play it - look at Brock Lesnar.

I dont know anybody who'd think a 6"6 man mountain could be a running back, what a waste that would be??? He has lineman/tight end written all over him as it says in the article.
TO may be his idol and TO definately has skills and puts on a show but i dont know if i'd be wanting him to emulate his ability to get offside with his own clubs and teamates.
I think Mase could definately give it a red hot go. It'd take a big crash course but i think he could make the grade

Special K

Coach
C.P said:
I dont know anybody who'd think a 6"6 man mountain could be a running back, what a waste that would be??? He has lineman/tight end written all over him as it says in the article.
TO may be his idol and TO definately has skills and puts on a show but i dont know if i'd be wanting him to emulate his ability to get offside with his own clubs and teamates.
I think Mase could definately give it a red hot go. It'd take a big crash course but i think he could make the grade
Why would Mason go over there to play defence? He doesn't have the skills to be a TE either.

No NFL team would play him unless he spent a year or two atleast in the europe league.

C.P

Juniors
Special K said:
Why would Mason go over there to play defence? He doesn't have the skills to be a TE either.

No NFL team would play him unless he spent a year or two atleast in the europe league.

Dont know what skills he wouldnt have? The main job of most tight ends is either clearing a path for backs or protecting the QB both jobs Willie would be capable of. Even for those TE that are more highly skilled and used in a receiving role, it's hard to judge now if he has the co-ordination to catch balls in the NFL but he seems to have pretty good co-ordination in NRL so he's halfway there.
I do agree that he would more than likely have to play Europe or a lower league for a while first. He wouldnt walk into an NFL team after one preseason

aqua_duck

Coach
Mason's pretty big and a good athlete but there are heaps of big athletes who never make it in the NFL. Don't let the game fool you, there are alot of subtle elements involved, and being a good athlete won't compensate. I don't think Willie would be a big hit, he could probably be a solid performer at best. Plus if you think WIllie is a great athlete, there are alot better in the NFL, and those guys have played the game most of their lives.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Tight end would be ideal for him!, if he gave this position a go he'd make it, alot of tight ends i see are no where as agile or have the speed Willie posses.

Frederick

Staff member
The least he could do is aim to be more of a success over there than Greg Smith was over here ;-)

:lol:

aqua_duck

Coach
Ron Jeremy said:
Tight end would be ideal for him!, if he gave this position a go he'd make it, alot of tight ends i see are no where as agile or have the speed Willie posses.
you got to consider that willie runs around in a jersey and shorts, NFL tight ends run around with a mountain of gear on hence they may look restricted. Most NFL tightends have basketball experience, so they have a good vertical leap, plus ctaching the ball in traffic is a whole new skill in itself. Mason is 26 and has probably never played organised gridiron in his life, its not all about speed and athleticism, overwise Maurice Greene would be a star WR

aqua_duck

Coach
Captain_Fred said:
The least he could do is aim to be more of a success over there than Greg Smith was over here ;-)

:lol:
Lol greg was some bum who turned up and told everyone he played for the eagles and the knights believed him without looking into it

Timbo

Staff member
I could see him as a TE. As bizzare as it may sound, also fullback might not be a bad position for him.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Either TE or Defensive End,

now in the NFL, reaching 30 doesnt mean retirement so he could still play at least 2 years here then have like 10 years in the nfl if his body held up..

Danish

Referee
I'm sure he would make it if he gave it a real go. At the very least his little highlight video will attract the attention of a club enough to tell him what he needs to do to get a start with them.

If Willie wants to do it i'm sure he wouldnt mind taking a year or 2 to develop. He is more than rich enough to fund it. Actually with the way Nike and other idiot companies throw money around he could probably get someone to fund it for him on the off chance that he gets a run in the NFL.

Kingytek

Juniors
I reckon he'd go alright at it. Good on him if you can make the cash. However, I'd hate to see him leave the dogs and NRL, the best game of all.

bulldog

Bench
Kingytek said:
I reckon he'd go alright at it. Good on him if you can make the cash. However, I'd hate to see him leave the dogs and NRL, the best game of all.

Too right.

I wouldn't begrudge the big fella having a shot, even if he becomes a mediocre player the money he would make would dwarf what he could earn in League or union.

Mr Saab

Referee
Special K said:

Where did you get the idea he would be a running back? There are more positions in the NFL than just running back.
Anyway this is all BS. There are 100s of Willie Masons playing in Nth America in either the college system or CFL.
The media went nuts in 1995 over Jonah Lomu when they talked about him signing multi million dollar contracts with the Dallas Cowboys.

magpie_man

Juniors
i think, if he did go, it'd be good for rugby league.
he'd get a bit of exposure for the game over there, maybe get some of his team-mates into rugby league, he seems like a pretty charismatic bloke.
it could be a pretty big boost for the amnrl too imo.

Latest posts