What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Massive video ref WTF

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I notice there's a thread on the Thaiday try (absolutely correct call) and yet no thread on the two ludicrous NSW tries awarded. I guess that's a NSW biased forum for you.

Am I the only person who thought that (a) both the Creagh and Watmough "TRY" decisions were completely preposterous as both featured spectacularly blatant knock-ons, and (b) I've rarely seen one such incorrect decision awarded so quickly, with no second thought at all from the video ref- let alone two in the same match!

I mean, this is (apparently) an important match ffs. The video ref made two appalling wrong decisions without even bothering to really watch the replays properly. wtf?

chrisD

Coach
Good decisions, all of them. The depth of the ball in shot compared to Creaghs hand made it obvious the two could not have met, dubious as to which direction the ball went in the Watmough try but it predominantly came off a QLD hand and too hard to tell if a NSW hand may have touched it as well. By the letter of the law and precedence Thaidays try should not have been a try, they used common sense instead.

BDR

First Grade
Um, because nobody cares? Qld won the game and they were the better team on the night. If NSW had won after those dodgy calls THEN there would probably be an uproar, but right now we're pretty happy to just bask in the glory of a dominant win.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Immediately after the video ref spent all of 3 seconds viewing the Watmough "try" from a hopeless angle, they showed a replay from almost perfectly side on which showed the ball going about a metre forward :crazy:

Eels Dude

Coach
Immediately after the video ref spent all of 3 seconds viewing the Watmough "try" from a hopeless angle, they showed a replay from almost perfectly side on which showed the ball going about a metre forward :crazy:

A metre forward... the challenge for the ball was right on the goaline and the ball didn't bounce in the in goal.

Red Bear

Referee
I thought the Watmough try was probably no try, but with the angle of the camera it was difficult to see if it went forward or not off the nsw players, looked to be going to the side.

Creagh try was fine, hit his foot or knee, didnt touch his hand.

gurudave

Juniors

Had QLD lost I think more would have been said about this. NSW really only legitimately scored 6 points for the game...the rest were on the back of woeful refereeing or blatantly incorrect decisions by the video ref. It was just comical though to the point where everyone who would usually be pissed off just laughed. QLD were never in doubt regardless of the referees.

Danish

Referee
All 3 were tries, don't see a problem.

Where the officiating fell to pieces was in the ruck. Both teams got away with murder all game, with the only penalties actually awarded being complete farces (Qld in the first 5 minutes, Qld in the opening set of the 2nd half, NSW towards the backend of the game).

The whistle was also put away in the last 5 minutes which lead to a couple of high tackles being let go by qld, but also an absolute litany of tackles Blues players getting up and playing on.

user_nat

Coach
Creagh try was fine, hit his foot or knee, didnt touch his hand.

I don't think Creagh touched it with his hand after kicking it either. I do think that he fumbled it whilst falling over the line. Looked like he dropped it then grounded it with his torso.

Slackboy72

Coach
Creagh one was hard to see but I think it did touch his hand. Anyone see this in 3D? That would have been good to see.
The Watmough one went forward maybe half a foot.
The Thurston strip was a no-brainer no-try. Couldn't believe that one.

Other than that the ruck was atrocious and Qld took all they could eat by slowing the NSW play-the-ball down and the ref (and Gidley who didn't see the need to complain) was fine with it.
Was also amazed at how many times Qld lost the ball in the play-the-ball and got a penalty. That was just poor officiating. And Ballin must have thrown about a half dozen passes forward yet never got pinged.

But hey, that's football. Apparently it goes both ways.

I had no problem with the 3 tries given but was surprised to see benefit of the doubt on the Thaiday one. That one had no doubt IMO, while the 2 NSW ones did have some benefit but replays were inconclusive, therefore happy they were given.

The main thing was, the better team on the day won the game. Can't wait for the next one.

cornerposter

Juniors
No tries, both of them.

Other than that the ruck was atrocious and Qld took all they could eat by slowing the NSW play-the-ball down and the ref (and Gidley who didn't see the need to complain) was fine with it.
You gotta be joking. FYI - NSW were the team in BLUE.

Latest posts