What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matai - GRUB

BlueNGoldBlood

Juniors
MSIH said:
Haha, says the man with Fui Fui Moi Moi as his avatar.

chewy will eat you for breakfast if your not careful :lol:

But seriously Matai, Dunley and Burns are probly the dirtiest trio in the game. I guess since they lack talent thats how they try to make up for it.

andrew057

First Grade
I like aspects of his game, but somestimes he goes overboard, ala when he pushed Wing into the fence earlier this season.

Burns is worse the Matai and Dunley

Harold Bishop

Juniors
BlueNGoldBlood said:
chewy will eat you for breakfast if your not careful :lol:

But seriously Matai, Dunley and Burns are probly the dirtiest trio in the game. I guess since they lack talent thats how they try to make up for it.
Matai is one of the form centres in the comp, and you know this.

BlueNGoldBlood

Juniors
If Matai cut the niggling bullsh*t out of his game, i think that he could actually be quite a good centre.. He isnt the most talented bloke but runs hard and hits quite hard. He will never be anything great though.

Whats gonna happen to him next year? As you would think pigface and bell have the centre spots stamped as their own.

MSIH

Bench
Hutty1986 said:
LOL

Only "big men" elbow blokes in the face and continually put on high shots

Matai needs to clean his act up

Can't remember Matai putting any high shots on this year. He's hits are usually legit. Can't recall many elbows in the face either. Unless you mean the forearm rubbing of the face in the dirt, which is common practise.

Want to make any other unsubstantiated claims?

QldEagle01

Juniors
Matai is not grub, hes tough and thats a big part of his game, dont like the heat get out fo the kitchen i say. In my opinion the biggest grub in the game is Andrew Johns. He has every one wrapped around his finger. Gets hit late in comes the touchie, Orford gets smashed ...... silence, hes an over rated wanker and his true coulors came through on Sat nite, you beauty, Now he has all summer to play with his best friend (himself) and look at himself in the mirror

JJ

Immortal
wow - Manly players called grubs - there's a revelation...

The most surprising thing is that Mick Crocker wasn't signed by the good-old Sea Eagles...

Menzies is some sort of freak - playing that long for Manly and not being a grub

Snoz

Juniors
he is not alone in the dept. of extra niggle in the tackle - i could name 20 players who do it alot.

mattai is one
dunley another

but every clubs has at least two offenders.

i see mattai as one of the most improved players in the comp and he is slowly getting rid of all of the crap in his game. guess he has realised he can't dominate opposition players now with the ball in hand rather than extra niggle

MKEB...

Staff member
For crying out loud, he every club has the grub element. Dunley Matai and Byrne dont come close to Corey hughes or Monty Betham or Danny Williams

Hutty1986

Immortal
MSIH said:
Can't remember Matai putting any high shots on this year. He's hits are usually legit. Can't recall many elbows in the face either. Unless you mean the forearm rubbing of the face in the dirt, which is common practise.

Want to make any other unsubstantiated claims?

He had a few in the Knights games, both in the regular season and in the finals as well as performing plenty of borderline tackles

Hardly unsubstantiated

slamminsam246

Juniors
Knights played dirtier in the semi against Manly for sure. Buderus is the dirtiest player I can think of, always niggles. Sure, Matai does push it a bit in some tackles but thats not because he is a "grub", its because he is aggressive. Every team has 2 or 3 aggressive, dirty players and Manly are DEFINATELY NOT the dirtiest team in the NRL. Not even close imo! Dunley is the worse at Manly - but thats how he fires up the players and makes an "impact" when he comes on (much like the DH runs). Burns is tough and aggressive full stop - I admire this kid and see a Toovey-like future for him.