What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 1 vs Canterbury @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 1: Newcastle v Canterbury

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Silent Knight

First Grade
I think we're stuck with Mann at 5/8 as a stop gap until Blake Green returns from injury. I would have been tempted to go with Crossland at 5/8 but I can understand that O'Brien would prefer if Phoenix continued to hone his skills in reserve grade at this stage of his career, instead of throwing him in the deep end of round 1. Mann is fairly limited as we know, but at least he has solid FG experience and can handle the occasion.

The main thing is we need Pearce to fire on his own (yeah I can hear you all scoff) because I don't know how much support he's going to get from Mann and Hoy. Green and Ponga on the other hand sounds a whole lot better. If we can win ugly until those two return, I'll be happy.

Just get early ball to Bradman ffs. It's not hard.

PhilGould

Bench
Unlikely he would've been picked anyway but Crossland has been fined and suspended for 1 game due to an off-field incident

Yosh

Coach
No playmaker in the team there. Where will our creativity come from? Will we use Bradman Best like a prop forward again? Will there be any meaningful second phase play? Will Mann or Watson have a successful pass? Will we get a repeat set?

Anyways... Looks like a solid team that won't concede many points but I don't know where our points will come from either...

1. Tex Hoy
2. Starford To'a
3. Enari Tuala
4. Bradman Best
5. Gehamat Shibasaki
6. Kurt Mann
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. David Klemmer
9. Jayden Brailey (C)
10. Daniel Saifiti (C)
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Mitch Barnett
13. Connor Watson

14. Sauaso Sue
15. Jacob Saifiti
16. Josh King
17. Brodie Jones

18. Hymel Hunt
19. Pasami Saulo
20. Jack Johns
21. Simi Sagagi

Shibasaki over Hymel the only big surprise
Pretty much as expected except for the bench.
It was certain Mann would be at 6 and Watson at lock.
Interesting that Jack Johns gets in on the extended bench.

Jono078

Referee
This is going to be a tough game. That Bulldog back line is very strong individually, hopefully they haven’t learnt to play as a team yet.
Tuala and Shibs need solid performances to keep their places.

otherwise all as expected. Excited to see what Brailey and Watson bring to the table again! Calling it now one of them will be man of the match.

Knight76

Juniors
I can see this being a slugfest. Our pack is stronger and should dominate.

But the platform the forwards lay, how do we exploit it? Pearce can't seem to get a decent attacking kick in to save his life, I hope this has changed this year, no creative player to chime in for Pearce. Mann can do something occasionally but few and far between. Watson can be elusive and make a break etc, but overall very little strike power in that side.

Just hope we get out to a quick lead and stick with it, if we get 10-0 behind early it could be all over.

mongoose

Coach
Random but Bellemy started his Storm career with 3 back to back first round knock outs at the finals. I think I'll be okay with our team finishing 5-8th this year again. Am I the only one?

Week 1 of the finals?

2003 - Storm beat Raiders 30-18
2004 - Storm beat Broncos 31-14
2005 - Storm beat Broncos 24-18

Yosh

Coach
Week 1 of the finals?

2003 - Storm beat Raiders 30-18
2004 - Storm beat Broncos 31-14
2005 - Storm beat Broncos 24-18

Eh... I remember it being first round but it was 3 semis in a row... Well off I go then