What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 10 vs Newcastle @ Scully Park, Tamworth / Kamilaroi

Who will win? Round 10: Wests Tigers v Newcastle

• Wests Tigers 13+

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2024 - Round 10
Wests Tigers v Newcastle Knights
Scully Park, Tamworth / Kamilaroi (TICKETS)

Saturday 11 May 2024
NRL kickoff 3pm.

Broadcast live on Fox, Kayo.

WESTSTIGERS2024.png

1. Jahream Bula 2. Charlie Staines 3. Starford To'a 4. Justin Olam 5. Brent Naden 6. Lachlan Galvin 7. Jayden Sullivan 8. Stefano Utoikamanu 9. Apisai Koroisau 10. David Klemmer 11. Samuela Fainu 12. John Bateman 13. Isaiah Papali'i 14. Jake Simpkin 15. Alex Twal 16. Alex Seyfarth 17. Fonua Pole 18. Tallyn Da Silva 19. Solomon Alaimalo 20. Asu Kepaoa 21. Alexander Lobb 22. Solomona Faataape

Out: Aidan Sezer (halfback), Latu Fainu (bench)
In: Starford To'a (centre), Jayden Sullivan (halfback), Apisai Koroisau (hooker), Tallyn Da Silva (bench), Asu Kepaoa (reserve), Alexander Lobb (reserve), Solomona Faataape (reserve)
Changes: Brent Naden (centre to wing), Solomon Alaimalo (wing to bench), Jake Simpkin (hooker to bench), Isaiah Papali'i (second row to lock), John Bateman (lock to second row)

NEWCASTLE2024.png

1. David Armstrong 2. Greg Marzhew 3. Dane Gagai 4. Bradman Best 5. Enari Tuala 6. Tyson Gamble 7. Jackson Hastings 8. Daniel Saifiti 9. Jayden Brailey 10. Leo Thompson 11. Tyson Frizell 12. Kai Pearce-Paul 13. Adam Elliott 14. Phoenix Crossland 15. Jacob Saifiti 16. Dylan Lucas 17. Brodie Jones 18. Jack Hetherington 19. Jack Cogger 20. Mathew Croker 21. Jed Cartwright 22. Krystian Mapapalangi

In: Tyson Frizell (second row), Jacob Saifiti (bench), Jack Cogger (bench), Mat Croker (reserve), Krystian Mapapalangi (reserve)
Changes: Dylan Lucas (second row to bench), Jed Cartwright (bench to reserve)

A-REF-Y-2022TEAM.png

Referee: Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski
Sideline Officials: Chris Sutton, Damian Brady
Video Referee: Peter Gough

HEAD TO HEAD - 2000 - 2023​

TOTALWESTS TIGERSNEWCASTLEDRAWN
ALL MATCHES3617190
SCULLY1010

LAST FIVE MEETINGS​

YEARROUNDRESULTVENUECROWD
2021Round 10WESTS TIGERS 36-18Suncorp41367
2022Round 2NEWCASTLE 26-4McD. Jones23214
2022Round 21NEWCASTLE 14-10Campbelltown9621
2023Round 2NEWCASTLE 14-12Leichhardt13214
2023Round 20NEWCASTLE 34-18McD. Jones18470

BIGGEST WINS​

YEARROUNDRESULTVENUECROWD
2001Round 10NEWCASTLE 56-6Marathon15105
2019Round 23WESTS TIGERS 46-4Campbelltown11107

NEXT FOUR MATCHES​

Round 11Round 12Round 13Round 14
WESTS TIGERSDOLPHINS (H)NORTH QLD (A)(BYE)ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA (A)
NEWCASTLEGOLD COAST (A)(BYE)CANTERBURY (H)MELBOURNE (A)

LAST THREE MATCHES​

Round 7 Round 8 Round 9
WESTS TIGERSPENRITHL 6-22BRISBANEL 10-34CANTERBURYL 14-22
NEWCASTLECANTERBURYL 12-36DOLPHINSW 18-14WARRIORSW 14-8

STATE OF PLAY: 2024 SEASON​

POSITIONPLAYEDBYESW-L-DFORAGAINST
WESTS TIGERS15th812-6-0119182
NEWCASTLE11th904-5-0152171

Last edited:

Tiger Ted

Bench
On paper, this match is winnable. Although the Knights seemed to play pretty well against the Warriors, the Warriors didn't throw much at the Knights in attack. The outcome will come down to how inventive our halves are, which in turn depends on who they are. If Sullivan replaces Sezer, I won't even bother watching.
Re winnable match I thought the same against dolphins saints & dogs.Ive lost confidence in this perpetually disappointing rabble.We would deadset struggle against the strong NSW cup teams & we should b favourites for a 3 peat as I don’t see how we get out of this hellish predicament this season.

Fordy20

Juniors
Re winnable match I thought the same against dolphins saints & dogs.Ive lost confidence in this perpetually disappointing rabble.We would deadset struggle against the strong NSW cup teams & we should b favourites for a 3 peat as I don’t see how we get out of this hellish predicament this season.

I agree. I have no confidence in this squad either, hence my comment "On paper". We need to win another two games in order to have done better than the spoon years and I can't see where the wins come from unless there is a serious lift in performance from what these blokes have been dishing up. I have no confidence in Spud Sullivan and Sezer has already demonstrated he's not the cool head under pressure that the young lads need leading them around the park. Too many blokes are off the boil at the moment. The only light I see is by giving Fainu a crack over the next few weeks and making sure Api gets spelled by Simpkin instead of being forced to play 80 week in week out.

Tigerm

First Grade
One minute we had more halves than the rest of the comp combined, now, not enough.

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
1. Jahream Bula 2. Charlie Staines 3. Starford To'a 4. Justin Olam 5. Brent Naden 6. Lachlan Galvin 7. Jayden Sullivan 8. Stefano Utoikamanu 9. Apisai Koroisau 10. David Klemmer 11. Samuela Fainu 12. John Bateman 13. Isaiah Papali'i

14. Jake Simpkin 15. Alex Twal 16. Alex Seyfarth 17. Fonua Pole

18. Tallyn Da Silva 19. Solomon Alaimalo 20. Asu Kepaoa 21. Alexander Lobb 22. Solomona Faataape

In: Starford To'a (centre), Jayden Sullivan (halfback), Apisai Koroisau (hooker), Tallyn Da Silva (bench), Asu Kepaoa (reserve), Alexander Lobb (reserve), Solomona Faataape (reserve)
Changes: Brent Naden (centre to wing), Solomon Alaimalo (wing to bench), Jake Simpkin (hooker to bench), Isaiah Papali'i (second row to lock), John Bateman (lock to second row)

Tigerm

First Grade
1. Jahream Bula 2. Charlie Staines 3. Starford To'a 4. Justin Olam 5. Brent Naden 6. Lachlan Galvin 7. Jayden Sullivan 8. Stefano Utoikamanu 9. Apisai Koroisau 10. David Klemmer 11. Samuela Fainu 12. John Bateman 13. Isaiah Papali'i

14. Jake Simpkin 15. Alex Twal 16. Alex Seyfarth 17. Fonua Pole

18. Tallyn Da Silva 19. Solomon Alaimalo 20. Asu Kepaoa 21. Alexander Lobb 22. Solomona Faataape

To’o and Api back.
Sullivan, doesn’t fill me with confidence.
Good to see TDS coming back.
Still struggling to pick them though.
But hope is all I got.

Last edited:
What does it mean that Latu Fainu is benched? Is this just a typo or mistake as it indicates he's been dropped for poor form rather than injured as was previously reported?

We'll get flogged. I've already seen enough of Sullivan to last me a lifetime.

The only thing that might keep us in the game is that Newcastle are just as disjointed in attack as we are. They do make yards up the guts though, which we seem unable or unwilling of doing. It feels like the only games we're going to win this year is if the opposition as a whole takes us lightly, and multiple stars have bad games and can't find their form during the game. If they can play well for only 40 mins they'll win.

Tigerm

First Grade
What does it mean that Latu Fainu is benched? Is this just a typo or mistake as it indicates he's been dropped for poor form rather than injured as was previously reported?

We'll get flogged. I've already seen enough of Sullivan to last me a lifetime.

The only thing that might keep us in the game is that Newcastle are just as disjointed in attack as we are. They do make yards up the guts though, which we seem unable or unwilling of doing. It feels like the only games we're going to win this year is if the opposition as a whole takes us lightly, and multiple stars have bad games and can't find their form during the game. If they can play well for only 40 mins they'll win.
Latu’s last position in the team, was bench.
I believe he was all set to play, but had an injury?

Paps and Bateman switch might bring some hidden benefits.

Hopefully Bud can at last find his game.

I’m not sure it’s winnable on paper, but if the effort is there.

Why isn’t Benji getting the best of them?

That’s my main concern atm, he’s got to thread that needle.

Wizardman

First Grade
I'll be blunt here.

On paper and in performance, they are above us. While Newcastle are not playing the "A" game plan due to no Ponga, their "B" game in my opinion is pretty damn underrated. They are playing with a lot of grit and are giving their opponents very little. Their "B" game is stronger than ours at the moment.

I will say this in our favour. Our boys are definitely trying and have tried their rings off all year. I could not say the same thing about our team last year. But, when you have the worst first choice back 5 in the comp and an 18 year old teamed up with our worst signing of recent memory in Bud Sullivan (Im honestly thinking he was Pascoe's farewell present to us), my expectations of a positive result are not high.

Ultimately, the great hope of the side lies in our pack. Sadly, Stefano has had a month long quiet patch and our two highly paid backrowers have shown nowhere near enough in attack to justify their price tag. The Knights backrow (Frizzell, KPP and Elliot) are absolutely superior in performance and are a shitload cheaper as well.

Knights by 13+ if on a dry track.

Last edited: