What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 10 vs Newcastle @ Scully Park, Tamworth / Kamilaroi

Who will win? Round 10: Wests Tigers v Newcastle

• Wests Tigers 13+

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wizardman

First Grade
The trouble is, once again, we have no one in reserve grade putting their hand up to be picked.
In the dogs cup team, they would have had 4 or 5 players that would have made our FG side.
I know it’s nice to be a development club, but we just don’t have the depth to do it. Not yet anyway.
I agree with this. Our reserve grade cupboard is pretty bloody bare.

Nutz

Bench
One glaring thing about the last few losses has been the lack of depth in attack. The two games we won we were attacking deeper with a bit more shape, we’ve regressed back to a fairly flat attack in the attacking zone. I don’t like it.
Noone needs a break and there's no replacements. They need first grade experience and lots of it. Players are protected so much these days and Galvin is one of the fittest in the comp so he certainly doesn't need a break from first grade.
He won't learn in reserve grade as they are hopeless.
I do agree that our attack is flat and the sole reason for this is we are defending too much. Full on deep attacking raids are hard to do if your gassed.
Having a different half effects shape as well.
Top sides are well balanced and we are not.

Nutz

Bench
Galvin and Samuela Fainu will be very good players. Guys like Pole, Manamuta and Latu Fainu are guys worth playing as they could produce gold down the line.
Samuela Fainu is already showing that he has a bright future... hopefully with us.
I enjoy watching this guy play as you can see his potential.
There's too many players in our squad that have reached their potential which is not NRL standard and I don't see them getting any better.

We aren’t seeing the improvement at the rate we need it to be.

The mistakes and defensive lapses are all apparent.

The manner in which Besty carved us up was catastrophic.

I think we settled on the proposition that the squad was better than last year and we expected at minimum a solid handful of wins.

Not happening.

At lease we saw Bud and Paps having a crack of sorts. Probably by accident.

Is anyone seriously confident that the side is building week to week?

Look at SGI, please don’t tell me that their squad is much better than ours.

Last edited:

Pezz70

Juniors
M
Noone needs a break and there's no replacements. They need first grade experience and lots of it. Players are protected so much these days and Galvin is one of the fittest in the comp so he certainly doesn't need a break from first grade.
He won't learn in reserve grade as they are hopeless.
I do agree that our attack is flat and the sole reason for this is we are defending too much. Full on deep attacking raids are hard to do if your gassed.
Having a different half effects shape as well.
Top sides are well balanced and we are not.
Mate if you want to slaughter young blokes that’s your choice, but it’s wrong, getting flogged both on the scoreboard and physically every week does nothing for anyone, it breaks you mentally and physically. I can tell you now Galvin’s manager will be looking to get him into one of the top squads in the next 12 - 18 months because he is getting smashed every weekend and there is no prospect of a comp. Development is not about getting bashed, it’s about being in a team where everyone knows and is capable of carrying out their roles, and then bringing in the young blokes. While we don’t have that luxury we need to expose the kids sparingly, until they develop the constitution to take the hits and the defeats week in week out. We’re not finals contenders this year, Galvin will end up another Brooks if we continue the way we’re are going, he’ll have the shit and confidence knocked out of him in the next six months, I can already see that he is jaded and he had a two week break a couple of weeks ago.

Nutz

Bench
M

Mate if you want to slaughter young blokes that’s your choice, but it’s wrong, getting flogged both on the scoreboard and physically every week does nothing for anyone, it breaks you mentally and physically. I can tell you now Galvin’s manager will be looking to get him into one of the top squads in the next 12 - 18 months because he is getting smashed every weekend and there is no prospect of a comp. Development is not about getting bashed, it’s about being in a team where everyone knows and is capable of carrying out their roles, and then bringing in the young blokes. While we don’t have that luxury we need to expose the kids sparingly, until they develop the constitution to take the hits and the defeats week in week out. We’re not finals contenders this year, Galvin will end up another Brooks if we continue the way we’re are going, he’ll have the shit and confidence knocked out of him in the next six months, I can already see that he is jaded and he had a two week break a couple of weeks ago.
Na. He's not getting bashed.
I'm watching KOE Cup Western Suburbs v Newcastle right now and the std is crap.
As far a the NRL side goes players like Galvin learn heaps at training, behind the scenes and on the paddock. He also learns from his and the teams mistakes. He also learns from the opposition and from video reviews.
How many games has he played for god sake. You make it sound as if he's played 50+ games and is battered and bruised.
If Lachlan and his manager want to piss off because he's playing first grade and in a losing side then they can piss off. Thankfully we're not running the show otherwise we'd be flogged even more each week because our talent is playing with sub std koe players.

Pezz70

Juniors
Na. He's not getting bashed.
I'm watching KOE Cup Western Suburbs v Newcastle right now and the std is crap.
As far a the NRL side goes players like Galvin learn heaps at training, behind the scenes and on the paddock. He also learns from his and the teams mistakes. He also learns from the opposition and from video reviews.
How many games has he played for god sake. You make it sound as if he's played 50+ games and is battered and bruised.
If Lachlan and his manager want to piss off because he's playing first grade and in a losing side then they can piss off. Thankfully we're not running the show otherwise we'd be flogged even more each week because our talent is playing with sub std koe players.
Mate he is getting bashed, but we’ll beg to differ. It’s got nothing to do with playing in a losing side, it’s about a young kid who is not gonna live up to his potential, nor preserve his longevity in the game because he has been exposed to too much too early. A fit 18 year old is not the same as a fit 24 - 30 year old. Look after the troops and theyll look after you. You’re prepared to sacrifice young blokes for a couple of wins that mean nothing. I’ve got no dramas with them playing regular first grade, but I want them nurtured not destroyed. I don’t know if you appreciate how hard the game is

Nutz

Bench
Mate he is getting bashed, but we’ll beg to differ. It’s got nothing to do with playing in a losing side, it’s about a young kid who is not gonna live up to his potential, nor preserve his longevity in the game because he has been exposed to too much too early. A fit 18 year old is not the same as a fit 24 - 30 year old. Look after the troops and theyll look after you. You’re prepared to sacrifice young blokes for a couple of wins that mean nothing. I’ve got no dramas with them playing regular first grade, but I want them nurtured not destroyed. I don’t know if you appreciate how hard the game is
Been there, done that.
It's got nothing to do with winning as much as gaining experience.
He would have the same exposure to injury in any grade especially playing in KOE or Jersey Flegg.
If I'm Lachlan or his manager I'd be wanting him to play 1st grade. Players also mature quicker physically these days because of what's available to them and as I said Lachlan is one of the fittest if not the fittest in the club.
Balmain's Starling played for Australia when he was 18 and that was in an era where sports medicine, training and player's welfare principles were very much inferior.
Enough of this subject, we'll both respectfully agree to disagree and move on. ;)

Tiger Ted

Bench
Been there, done that.
It's got nothing to do with winning as much as gaining experience.
He would have the same exposure to injury in any grade especially playing in KOE or Jersey Flegg.
If I'm Lachlan or his manager I'd be wanting him to play 1st grade. Players also mature quicker physically these days because of what's available to them and as I said Lachlan is one of the fittest if not the fittest in the club.
Balmain's Starling played for Australia when he was 18 and that was in an era where sports medicine, training and player's welfare principles were very much inferior.
Enough of this subject, we'll both respectfully agree to disagree and move on. ;)
The precocious kid certainly won’t b playing lower grades anytime soon & probably never.If we were to make that blunder then expect his ruthless manager Isaac the saboteur Moses to make a song & dance about it & threaten to shift him to the rorters.Actually he won’t just threaten he will definitely contrive a way to break his contract.

Tiger Pedro

Juniors
Exactly, We need more Tom Hazleton type players. No fuss or ego and just loves and expects to do the dirty work. Give me 17 of him and we would be top 5 tomorrow.
I think we need a big strong and mobile FR / Middle for next year. Seyfarth and Twal are tryers and I respect them but if we want to move up the ladder we need to add a bit more dominance and mongrel. A player from a club that plays semi-final football (well at least one final per year at the sharkies 🤣) I hope someone in recruitment has identified that the Sharks currently have Braden Hamlin-Uele, Oregon Kaufusi, Royce Hunt, Tom Hazleton & Toby Rudolph in their squad with Addin Fonua-Blake signed for next year. Of the five listed above, I pretty much rate all of them. In what particular order - Not sure! But I'd just about take any of them. So to me it seems an obvious choice to be trying to attract one of them over as 6 into 3 or 4 don't go.

Tiger Ted

Bench
I think we need a big strong and mobile FR / Middle for next year. Seyfarth and Twal are tryers and I respect them but if we want to move up the ladder we need to add a bit more dominance and mongrel. A player from a club that plays semi-final football (well at least one final per year at the sharkies 🤣) I hope someone in recruitment has identified that the Sharks currently have Braden Hamlin-Uele, Oregon Kaufusi, Royce Hunt, Tom Hazleton & Toby Rudolph in their squad with Addin Fonua-Blake signed for next year. Of the five listed above, I pretty much rate all of them. In what particular order - Not sure! But I'd just about take any of them. So to me it seems an obvious choice to be trying to attract one of them over as 6 into 3 or 4 don't go.
Rudolph is managed by Richo & his son.Im imagining the backlash from the demonic grub Rothshit if we were to sign him

Nutz

Bench
The precocious kid certainly won’t b playing lower grades anytime soon & probably never.If we were to make that blunder then expect his ruthless manager Isaac the saboteur Moses to make a song & dance about it & threaten to shift him to the rorters.Actually he won’t just threaten he will definitely contrive a way to break his contract.
I gree with that Ted.
Imho players these days are more prone to mental health issues than physical.
In society general, boys are mollycoddled somewhat and wrapped in tissue paper compaired to yesteryears. Working hard labour growing up was a necessity, particularly on farms and in rural areas. It's not a comparison that should be used but I believe it's a fact. It wasn't compulsory to go to school in Tassie until 1868 because boys were required to work the land.
Gradually kids have left the outdoors to sit behind the computer desk or television.
There are a many programs to help people these days with mental issues including one that is within the club itself.
In modern professional sport, if you snooze you lose. It's part of the reason why clubs have so many Polynesian players because their bodies mature earlier and they hit their peak earlier, thus giving longer service and initially not breaking the budget.
Players like Galvin are groomed to use their brains (eyes up footy) and not so much their body. Imo he's doing that but in saying that it's the senior fwds that need to take care of him eg getting in front of big boppers and shielding their halves so as not to do too many front on tackles.... it's a job that edge fwds from top clubs do so well, like Cronulla, Rorters and Storm.
Injuries to smaller ½ backs-⅝ are due to bad tackling techniques and not so much the size difference.
Luke Keary is a classic example...he has been knocked out a few times by putting his head on the wrong side when tackling.
I'm a compassionate fella and I don't think he's being handled wrongly.
If we continue to struggle then he may be replaced to give the other halves combos a go but I think it's going to be a Luai/ Galvin pairing next year with Turuva and Olam outside them.

Tiger Pedro

Juniors
Fox NRL Stats
Possession WT-45%
RM
Bula-218.....................Best-219
Naden-157
Papi-136
Tkls
Api-40.........................Brailey-43
Twal-33
Seyfarth-32
Runs
Bula-20......................Armstrong-16
Naden-16
Staines-15
Papi-15
PCM
Bula-55....................Best-63
Klem-55
Papi-53
KM
Bud-416.................Hastings-235
Gal-169
Api-142
Interesting stats here - And yep as per previous post re FR/Middles ya gotta respect the workrate of Seyfarth and Twal. However here is the but....and it's a BIG BUT! We don't dominate in tackles, especially in the middle like other teams do. We give away alot of quick play the balls because we are just not in the same league as Penrith, Roosters, Storm, Cronulla for example in terms of turtleing, turning players around to face the wrong way, stopping off-loads, toppling a player just as the ref calls held as the top teams are. This puts the pressure on our defence and the opposition's quick play the balls are what makes our D line speed look worse than many other teams. And because we can't do the above in the natural course of a tackle they resort to straight out holding down and concede 6 agains and or penalties.

Nutz

Bench
Interesting stats here - And yep as per previous post re FR/Middles ya gotta respect the workrate of Seyfarth and Twal. However here is the but....and it's a BIG BUT! We don't dominate in tackles, especially in the middle like other teams do. We give away alot of quick play the balls because we are just not in the same league as Penrith, Roosters, Storm, Cronulla for example in terms of turtleing, turning players around to face the wrong way, stopping off-loads, toppling a player just as the ref calls held as the top teams are. This puts the pressure on our defence and the opposition's quick play the balls are what makes our D line speed look worse than many other teams. And because we can't do the above in the natural course of a tackle they resort to straight out holding down and concede 6 agains and or penalties.
Yep, taking longer to get a bloke on the ground or complete a tackle is good so you can reset your line but it also runs the risk of them getting an offload or a penalty.
Ideally, when on the attack you want 3 quick play the balls where you attract 3 defenders then play eyes up footy.
By hitting up the middle effectively, it can fold the outside in, just like when you push a straight piece of string up in the middle, the two ends close up and eventually touch.
"Why is it so" by Julius Sumner Miller

Vic Mackey

Referee
Only saw the last 25 mins, no real desire to go back and watch anything. Naden produced the worst 10min period Ive seen, which is saying something considering the amount of stinkers our players have had over the years.