What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 2 vs North Qld @ Queensland Country Bank Stadium, Townsville / Wulgurukaba

Who will win? Round 2: North Qld v Newcastle

• North Queensland Cowboys 13+

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • North Queensland Cowboys 1-12

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2024 - Round 2
North Queensland Cowboys v Newcastle Knights
Queensland Country Bank Stadium, Townsville / Wulgurukaba, South Townsville (TICKETS)
Saturday 16 March 2024

NRL kickoff 5:30pm AEDT (4:30pm AEST)

Broadcast live on Fox League, Kayo Sports.

NORTHQLD2024.png

To be announced

NEWCASTLE2024.png

To be announced

A-REF-Y-2022TEAM.png

Referee: To be advised
Sideline Officials: To be advised
Video Referee: To be advised​

Woody90

Juniors
Yeah…happy I’ll be overseas for this one.

Even before we played so poorly last week I had this one down as a loss. We don’t seem to do well up there. Hoping to at least see some improvement but can’t see a win anyway I look at it.

Last edited:

Yosh

Coach
Want to see high completions and only 2 halves on the field at once instead of 4.

mozza91

Coach
I’m expecting a big improvement. A win will be tough considering how slick the Cowboys looked yesterday and the heat.

Both Dolphins and Cowboys' defence were pretty ordinary yesterday... If our halves can actually get KP some ball, we just may sneak a win.

Us for the upset win 26-24

SamSepi0l

Juniors
Cows defense was terrible yesterday, the Phins just couldn't do anything with the opportunity. We haven't won in Townsville for a while so I'm not at all confident, just need it to be better than last week.
Hope Brailey is back.

Haffa

TEAM LIST​

1. Kalyn Ponga (C) - Greg Tapp Printing

2. Tom Jenkins - Allara Learning

3. Dane Gagai - DGI Trading

4. Bradman Best - Chill-Rite

5. Greg Marzhew - PalmerBet

6. Tyson Gamble - Guardian Safety Solutions

7. Jackson Hastings - Bella Group Services

8. Jacob Saifiti - Hunter City Motor Group

9. Phoenix Crossland - East Coast Building & Pest Services

10. Leo Thompson - Hunter Imaging

11. Tyson Frizell - Wests

12. Kai Pearce-Paul - NBN News

13. Adam Elliott - Sydney Direct Fresh Produce

Interchange:

14. Jack Cogger - Taylors Outdoor Power Equipment

15. Daniel Saifiti - M&J Chickens

16. Jack Hetherington - Dandelion House

17. Jed Cartwright - Hardy's

Extended Bench:

18. Brodie Jones

19. Will Pryce

20. Mat Croker

21. Fletcher Sharpe

22. Tom Cant

perverse

Referee
There's an interview with him on the NRL site, doesn't sound promising for this week.
No Brailey...

We sure are in the deep shit if Crossland doesn't return to last years form and fast. Pinning our hopes on Jayden "stuck together with blu tac" Brailey at this stage... I really feel like we've played Mr. Nice Guy with him a little too much. Of course I hope Brails comes good, but honestly i feel like we've already waited far too long. Brails is 27 years old now and we've seen f**k all footy from him.

Honestly, I struggle to remember a player that has provided a club so little over such an extended period and come out the other side. Kid has big Kyle Stanley vibes to me. And if you can't remember that name... well... exactly.

perverse

Referee
Oh, and I like KPP starting too. I'm very much of the opinion that he's a diamond with a few rough edges, and that the best place for him is in first grade to adjust and build combinations. Has all the physical and skill attributes you want right there already, and actually seems to have a footy brain and like doing some hard work too. Very willing to go all-in on him at this stage. I like Lucas too, but KPP has a much higher ceiling. There's potential to groom Lucas for Friz's spot instead.

isaiah

Bench
Cows defense was terrible yesterday, the Phins just couldn't do anything with the opportunity. We haven't won in Townsville for a while so I'm not at all confident, just need it to be better than last week.
Hope Brailey is back.
You don’t need to defend well if you win by 25. The best team on last week’s form vs a long last

Woody90

Juniors
The changes with Cartwright for Lucas and Jenkins for Tuala aren’t what worries me.

It’s the Crossland/Cogger hooker rotation where AOB will likely have both of them + Gamble/Hastings on the field at the same time.

I think we’ll definitely improve but can’t see us winning in NQ until we get Brailey back for a proper hooker rotation and not 4 halfbacks. Cogger isn’t a 9 either. I know he did ok at Penrith there last year but I could probably play 9 in that Panthers pack.

Excited to see KPP start though and tbf impressed AOB is going to back him to get in there now to build combinations. I had a feeling he might keep him on the bench and bring someone like Jones in. Possible short-term pain for long-term gain it seems.

Yosh

Coach
There is no guarantee that Brailey is going to be a first grade standard player when he returns. Crossland is good more than good enough if we simplify his role and don't play him at 13.

Rod

Bench
It’s the Crossland/Cogger hooker rotation where AOB will likely have both of them + Gamble/Hastings on the field at the same time.
This is my main concern also. Hopefully another week will have settled the combinations but we can't have another week of that hopeless attack.

That being said I'm not going to overreact to last week's performance (from either us or the Cowboys). We're a big chance if we get back to what made us successful last year.

Old dog

Bench
Crosslands should play 9 for most of game, Elliott could relieve him for 10mins either side of half with Cartwright covering 13 while Crosslands and Elliott rest.
Cogger only to replace 6 or 7 due to injury or rest break.

Knight Tales

Bench
Kai, Lucas and Frizell is a much meaner backrow. Elliott off the bench gives a lot of options in the pack. Our issue is always our use of the bench. I do not want to see two dummy halves in The starting 17. It only works if that dummy half is a kicking option or has real pace. Will Pryce hopefully makes the 14 his own sooner rather than later.