What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 22 vs Warriors @ Mt Smart Stadium

Who will win? Round 22: Warriors v Knights

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Newcastle Knights 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Lamb and Cogger aren’t that bad for back up halves. They both have a few strengths and weaknesses but for 3rd and 4th string halves they’re fine. We’re just unlucky that both Pearce and Watson have both missed a
large chunk of games.

King is another story. The fact Yates, Amey and Saulo are playing reggies while that useless prick has guaranteed First Grade spot is criminal.

I have to disagree with you there mate, a lot of teams have back up halves who are at least able to do the basics right and who don’t cause a hinderence to their own team. Cogger has shown that he falls short in just about every aspect that a decent back up half would require and Lamb has gone so far off the boil that he can’t even displace Cogger as the back up.

Look at some of the other 3rd string halves in the league, Penrith have 2 or 3 who are already first grade quality, the Roosters have their back ups coming straight out of a top NSW Cup side, Melbourne seem to produce players who can slot straight into their system and even the Bulldogs who have been woeful have a couple of good young guys who have stepped up and played well over the last few weeks. The list goes on and on and we only have a couple of guys who can’t even look good in NSW Cup.

To be fair Cogger had a decent game the other night against Wests but that was mainly because he wasn’t asked to kick the ball which is kind of important if you’re a halfback.

I really don’t want to death ride them, especially Lamb who I wanted to see do well but I’m at the point where I really do feel like we’d be better off with someone else.

You’re right about King though mate, he would have to be one of the worst prop forwards in NRL history let alone in the comp right now and his recent stats don’t do anything to say otherwise.

Spot On

Coach
Can't argee with that.

Props job is pretty simple. Run hard and tackle hard. Our props are not asked to do anything else. Skill set is basic. I thought King would have improved out of sight now he's fulltime. But alas......

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The other point on this is - is Ponga a better half than Lamb? I can't argue with that, even though he hasn't played there yet ;)

This is kind of an irrelevant question. Ponga with be no.1 playmaker regardless of the number on his jumper.

This will be a decision between Lamb and Meaney. And given Meaney has at most 5 games left at the club, it says so much about how Lamb is doing at the moment.

What Lamb should do is either commit to our Reserve Grade team and work hard to earn his spot or commit to the Reserve team in a strong system (Storm could make him great). What i think he WILL do is leave for England, cruise through his career and think bitterly about how the NRL never appreciated his talent.

Still Nutty

Juniors
This is kind of an irrelevant question. Ponga with be no.1 playmaker regardless of the number on his jumper.

This will be a decision between Lamb and Meaney. And given Meaney has at most 5 games left at the club, it says so much about how Lamb is doing at the moment.

What Lamb should do is either commit to our Reserve Grade team and work hard to earn his spot or commit to the Reserve team in a strong system (Storm could make him great). What i think he WILL do is leave for England, cruise through his career and think bitterly about how the NRL never appreciated his talent.
I take your point Doc and think we are coming to the same point from different directions...but I think the other elements as a Half tend to make it relevant (defence, kicking, etc.) for comparing why Brown might opt the way of including Meaney because that improves our overall spine more so than picking Lamb because, of the 2 players who won't be at the club next year(I tend to agree with Mac on this re Lamb), his current performance doesn't warrant him being the best option.

In reality, I expect Brown should be focussing on winning as many games as possible from here, regardless of who gets shuffled around because the priority of trying to build combinations for next season are pretty well redundant with the way our injuries have fallen anyway.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Can't argee with that.

Props job is pretty simple. Run hard and tackle hard. Our props are not asked to do anything else. Skill set is basic. I thought King would have improved out of sight now he's fulltime. But alas......
Brown has come out and said that when he signs a player, he doesn’t move them on before their contract expires. Kings signed until the end of 2020 so it wouldn’t surprise me if brown is giving him Experience this year in order to improve his game for the next 2 years.

Old dog

Juniors
See lots of comments about Lamb form not being good enough to be considered but am thinking with lack of tv coverage only way to see him is to attend matches. Would be happy to hear from someone that has seen him play over the past 4-5 weeks.
Same goes for King and his possible replacements, Saulo, Amey and JJ, are they worse than him or is he picked because he is signed.
Or is it a coach thing with certain styles and fits for the team.
I don't live near Newcastle to attend matches.

Still Nutty

Juniors
It seems Brown gives players a significant period, once picked, to adjust to First Grade and show what they can do... I think JJ earned another stint from last week's limited performance and I hope Saulo can manage the step up particularly against the physicality of a Warriors pack that should be up for this game at home against us.

I'm not sure what it is with King but he seemed to have a much higher ceiling than he has delivered this year and I'm not sure if an extended stint in reggies will turn him around to be somewhat serviceable as a back up prop

Frederick

Staff member
TEAM

1. Kalyn Ponga
2. Ken Sio
3. Sione Mata'utia
4. Cory Dennis
5. Shaun Kenny-Dowall
6. Jack Cogger
7. Mitchell Pearce :copyright:
8. Herman Ese'ese
9. Danny Levi
10. Daniel Saifiti
11. Lachlan Fitzgibbon
12. Mitchell Barnett
13. Aidan Guerra

14. Jamie Buhrer :copyright:
15. Chris Heighington
16. Pasami Saulo
17. JJ Felise

18. Nick Meaney
19. Josh King
20. Brock Lamb
21. Luke Yates

Frederick

Staff member
See lots of comments about Lamb form not being good enough to be considered but am thinking with lack of tv coverage only way to see him is to attend matches. Would be happy to hear from someone that has seen him play over the past 4-5 weeks.
Same goes for King and his possible replacements, Saulo, Amey and JJ, are they worse than him or is he picked because he is signed.
Or is it a coach thing with certain styles and fits for the team.
I don't live near Newcastle to attend matches.
Lamb is just plain shit

Frederick

Staff member
So is that based on recent form last 4-5 weeks, have you seen him play lately or is the comment based on early this year R1-8. Certainly not based on 2017 form.
His form all year this year, and his 2017 form, bar the three games we won in a row, was very, very average.

Lamb is typical of all halves that have come through the system since Joey - small, with an average skill set but over inflated ego and sense of self worth because he's a local junior

Pedge1971

First Grade

Then he can f**k off and not let the door hit his arse...