What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 3 vs Penrith @ Carrington Park

Who will win? Round 3: Penrith v Newcastle

• Penrith Panthers 13+

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Penrith Panthers 1-12

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Knight76

Juniors
What pisses people off more, 6 weeks for Barnett or 0 weeks for NAS?

At lease Barnett was punished for what he did.

Sir Galahad

Juniors
How is it a joke? Rugby League is as popular as it's ever been.
The total lack of consistency is a joke, it can be very well argued it appears to favor towards what jersey you wear or the profile of player.

The above aside, it may very well be as popular as ever but the population of Australia has also more than doubled since I started watching the game. The game compared to what I fell in love with and played for most of my childhood is far removed from what it is now, so much so it's skirting the edge with me. Any further and I'll just start watching something else or just do something else instead.

Jono078

Referee
What pisses people off more, 6 weeks for Barnett or 0 weeks for NAS?

At lease Barnett was punished for what he did.
If that Eels player had stayed down for a fraction of a second then NAS is looking at the same penalty as Barnett.

It was as bad of an intentional swing, to the back of the head no less, that I have seen in a while. NAS is lucky the Eels dude is one tough hombre.

Yosh

Coach
The total lack of consistency is a joke, it can be very well argued it appears to favor towards what jersey you wear or the profile of player.

The above aside, it may very well be as popular as ever but the population of Australia has also more than doubled since I started watching the game. The game compared to what I fell in love with and played for most of my childhood is far removed from what it is now, so much so it's skirting the edge with me. Any further and I'll just start watching something else or just do something else instead.

The game 20 years ago shouldn't be compared like for like to today's game, in my opinion. The game has evolved and isn't semi professional anymore. It's an entertainment product that is one of the best in the country.

What was so fair about the game 20 years ago BTW?

Sir Galahad

Juniors
The game 20 years ago shouldn't be compared like for like to today's game, in my opinion. The game has evolved and isn't semi professional anymore. It's an entertainment product that is one of the best in the country.

What was so fair about the game 20 years ago BTW?
The above aside,
I didnt mention "so fair about the game 20 years ago "

I was actually referring to 40 years ago when I was a teenager and loving every minute of the game. In my opinion the game is far less a product now than it was . RIP .

It's a sanitized version, a shell of it's former self. Still enertaining ? yeh sure, partly because of my love of my home town and wanting it to succeed. Without the Knights though I'd be far less inclined to pay attention.

Yosh

Coach
I didnt mention "so fair about the game 20 years ago "

I was actually referring to 40 years ago when I was a teenager and loving every minute of the game. In my opinion the game is far less a product now than it was . RIP .

It's a sanitized version, a shell of it's former self. Still enertaining ? yeh sure, partly because of my love of my home town and wanting it to succeed. Without the Knights though I'd be far less inclined to pay attention.

To be fair, I wasn't around 40 years ago so can't comment. To each their own. BUT:

As a fan in his 30s, who currently lives abroad, the accessibility has been a godsend. I can watch games live in HD, read different articles online, watch the big media shows on Nine and Fox plus the different podcasts allow a level of access and connection that wouldn't have been possible even a decade ago.

The product (matches) is a lot cleaner and the skill level, the athleticism of the players and the professionalism of the sport is so far ahead of what is was in the 90s and 2000s. I think it's a far superior product compared to what I grew up on. However, I think your opinion is just as valid as mine!

Jono078

Referee
I just miss the shoulder charge and occasional biff.

There was nothing more exciting than tuning into a Bulldogs game to see SBW absolutely level someone!

Sir Galahad

Juniors
this

and 40 years ago there was an element of loyalty about the game, from club to player. I think it added to the tribalism, now with the constant change of player rosters it feels almost souless. I guess that's what we get in todays never ending quest for more and more money.

Sir Galahad

Juniors
To be fair, I wasn't around 40 years ago so can't comment. To each their own. BUT:

As a fan in his 30s, who currently lives abroad, the accessibility has been a godsend. I can watch games live in HD, read different articles online, watch the big media shows on Nine and Fox plus the different podcasts allow a level of access and connection that wouldn't have been possible even a decade ago.

The product (matches) is a lot cleaner and the skill level, the athleticism of the players and the professionalism of the sport is so far ahead of what is was in the 90s and 2000s. I think it's a far superior product compared to what I grew up on. However, I think your opinion is just as valid as mine!
oh sure the game is far more accessable than ever. As a kid it was sitting around the wireless with my Dad in the backyard.

As an adult my Dad had to send me a VHS tape via the mail of the Knights first Premiership, I was living in Europe at the time.

Now I can live stream it from my home in Asia - gold

Knight Tales

Juniors

There was nothing more exciting than tuning into a Bulldogs game to see SBW absolutely level someone!
The issue was not eveyone was as skilled and perfectly timed as SBW. He never injured anyone from what I recall. He certainly rattled them.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
The issue was not eveyone was as skilled and perfectly timed as SBW. He never injured anyone from what I recall. He certainly rattled them.
I remember round 1 in 2007 he almost took Joey’s head off with a loose tackle and was sent off for it. But generally speaking yes he was pretty accurate most of the time and had such a clean technique given how hard he would hit.

Knight Tales

Juniors
I remember round 1 in 2007 he almost took Joey’s head off with a loose tackle and was sent off for it. But generally speaking yes he was pretty accurate most of the time and had such a clean technique given how hard he would hit.
Totally right. I forgot about that. Correct me if I am wrong but was that not Brian Smith’s first game in charge? Joey then retired after the X-rays showed his neck was in a bad way? It was a pretty ironic moment cos I don’t believe their was any correlation between the two incidents.

Jono078

Referee
That's correct.

I wish it were still in but if you get it wrong then you suffer a severe penalty.

Yosh

Coach

Rarely injured anyone but I reckon those guys who got hit thought there were dead.

Jono078

Referee
This honestly feels like something that changes the trajectory of our season.

All of a sudden we lose this, confidence is shot and then we play the Sharks who are riding high next week.. Then we're 2-2..

IF the boys win this it will be huge. We need to have a dig until the end.
I hate at how easily I predict what happens to us.

Latest posts