What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 4 vs St Geo Illa @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 4: Newcastle v St Geo Illa

• Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Knight76

Juniors
You blokes are dreaming, Fitz is garbage compared to Barnett and Friz, and the Sue/Watson combo is killing it at lock.

Im not seeing much upside to fitz over Barnett, and friz isnt going anywhere.

Barnett the better defender also, and barny has him covered in attack.

K-Man

Bench
You blokes are dreaming, Fitz is garbage compared to Barnett and Friz, and the Sue/Watson combo is killing it at lock.

You're dreaming if you don't even think it's an option. Honestly, of course it's an option. I'm not saying Fitz gets rushed back into the starting line-up, I'm not even saying that I'm a fan, I'm simply saying that when fit he takes the place of Jones in the 17, then when he spends time on the field (whether off the bench or not) it will probably be on the left edge (he's not going to come on and play in the middle if Barnett/Sue is also on the field).

As the third best edge backrower at the club, clearly there's a decent chance Fitz is going to get significant playing time in that position. And there is a very real possibility that Barnett goes back to 13 with Sue used for impact off the bench. Maybe not every match, maybe not straight away, but it wouldn't be a huge shock.

Yosh

Coach
I'd say it's far more likely that Barnett spends time in the middle and Fitzgibbon on the left. Whether that's from the start with Sue dropping to the bench, or during the game with Fitz coming off the bench to have an impact in a way Jones isn't getting the chance to. Barnett might have even started the season at 13 if everyone was fit. Either way Jones would be the fall guy from the squad, but injuries will likely mean we never get to find out.

Barnett has been superb out on the left. Almost the best I've seen him play. Why move him to accommodate a mediocre player? I can't see O'Brian making that decision.

Sue and Watson have been fantastic to start the season. Sue has locked up the middle and Watson is providing real value off the bench with impact that has directly lead to tries. Why even look at Fritz as a starting option?

K-Man

Bench
You guys are focusing way too much on who starts and who comes off the bench. Forget that for a moment, assuming Fitz is above Jones in the pecking order and makes the 17 when fit, where do you think he plays when he comes on the field? Almost certainly on the edge because that's where he belongs, and Barnett's versatility means if they're all on the field at the same time it's likely him (not Fitz or Frizell) who moves into the middle. That might only be for part of a match, but it could happen. Arguing that Fitz will not see any first grade, or that when he does it will be as a middle forward because "Barnett is too good" is frankly ridiculous. Barnett is so good he can do both as and when required. Fitz is a mediocre edge backrower, who is better than Jones, and that's where he will play.

K-Man

Bench
If King drops out or Jacob is injured (or either starting prop is out) then Sue might see time playing technically as a front rower, which would see Barnett spend more time at lock, and would see Fitz spend more time on the edge. We are literally one injury away, or even just Fitz being preferred to King/Saulo away, from that being a distinct possibility. The hatred for Fitz can't completely overshadow something that may well happen simply because he's in the top 17 somewhere and he's not Brodie Jones.

PhilGould

Bench
1. Tex Hoy
2. Starford To'a
3. Gehamat Shibasaki
4. Enari Tuala
5. Hymel Hunt
6. Kurt Mann
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. David Klemmer
9. Jayden Brailey (C)
10. Daniel Saifiti (C)
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Mitch Barnett
13. Connor Watson

14. Sauaso Sue
15. Jacob Saifiti
16. Josh King
17. Blake Green

18. Brodie Jones
19. Dom Young
20. Simi Sasagi
21. Pasami Saulo

Jono078

Referee
Well I did not see that coming. Assuming he’s on the bench so he’s not thrown to the wolves in the opening 20.

I wonder if we’ll see Green, Mann and Watson on the field at the same time too.

I know we all roasted Shib last week but I’m happy for him to get a shot in the centres where he’s probably trained all off season. Hope the lad bounces back with a strong game.

Silent Knight

First Grade
Holy sh*t, Blake Green. Kurt "can't pass" Mann to the bench with Green to slot straight into the 6. Sue and Watson to do their usual swap. Good to see Jacob Saifiti and Mitch Barnett named, but we'll see how they recuperate.

We'll win now because a load will be taken off Mitchell Pearce's back, he won't have to organise, he can just run. It's the Blake Green Show from now on (knock on wood, knock on wood).

ryana87

Juniors
1. Tex Hoy
2. Starford To'a
3. Dom Young
4. Enari Tuala
5. Hymel Hunt
17. Blake green
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. David Klemmer
9. Jayden Brailey (C)
10. Daniel Saifiti (C)
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Mitch Barnett
13. Connor Watson

14. Sauaso Sue
15. Jacob Saifiti
16. Josh King
17. Kurt mann

Team that will actually run out?

slotmachine

First Grade
We'll win now because a load will be taken off Mitchell Pearce's back, he won't have to organise, he can just run. It's the Blake Green Show from now on (knock on wood, knock on wood).

Fair bit of pressure on the 34 year old coming back from an ACL. Because our highly paid half isn't very good.

Silent Knight

First Grade
Fair bit of pressure on the 34 year old coming back from an ACL. Because our highly paid half isn't very good.

Blake Green is a calm old head who doesn't overthink things and has handled pressure for a long time. He'll be just fine imo.

I'm feeling optimistic now and to be honest I'm a bit of sick of opposition fans thinking that we'll be a walkover now because we had one off day and lost by 4. A bit of defiance from the fans, and most importantly the team, will go a long way.

Old dog

Juniors
Think Green more likely misses out rather than plays otherwise name him 6 and Mann on bench and shuffle if not ready.
I know we haven’t been playing Jones but would prefer two props and 2nd rower on bench, security against injury

Rod

Bench
If Green is fit I would have moved Mann to centre in place of Shibisaki. He's a good runner of the ball and isn't required to create there.

Latest posts