What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 8 vs St Geo Illa @ WIN Stadium, Wollongong

Who will win? Round 8: St Geo Illa v Wests Tigers

• St George Illawarra Dragons 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • St George Illawarra Dragons 1-12

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Wests Tigers 13+

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Phil Gould

Juniors
I was disappointed losing but I'm hard pressed to fault the effort. Aside from a couple of defensive lapses (where saints got their tries) they worked really well as a unit. And hard. The forwards were great hitting the ball up. Musgrave had his best game that I can remember.

We did look pedestrian in attack though. We really need to be putting any attacking plays on about 30m and more from the try line because once we get down there we have nothing. In some instances I think saints were letting us get down there knowing it would be easier to defend.

At best, we don't have many players to choose from. Yesterday was even worse with injuries so I'm happy with the effort we put in. I don't expect miracles from the roster we currently have. But.......

1. Maguire needs to let Hastings make whatever decision he feels in best. He understands the flow of the game much better than the coach who is miles away in the box.

2. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to get a stat on Nofo's career run metres. I'd also like to get a stat on the amount of metres he's run sideways for no gain or a loss. If it's not twice as many I'm a bad judge.
I’d like to see Nofo’s crab meters too, it would have to be around 600 meters not gained per match I reckon. Gotta love him though, at least he has plenty of points and meters gained to go with it, there are plenty of players that don’t.

WA Tiger

Bench
If Luch ran at the line as hard as Nofo always does with no self preservation a guy much smaller than the forwards, and at the opposition forwards we’d do better..(Nofo paid for it tonight) I couldn’t fault the forwards tonight but that’s just me about Luch. I never liked his little jiggle he does before the tackle…he does it all the time coz he gets an offload sometimes..and it’s less risk of getting hurt.. not like nofo. That doesn’t enter his mind..I may be wrong but I won’t miss him as much as you lot
And hogging the ball so the play breaks down more times than not..With centre and wing wondering wtf…Not so bad with garner coz he prob wouldn’t know what to do with it. I’m going to do a count next game.

WA Tiger

Bench
Liddle reminded me of a player that feels he has to avoid doing the wrong thing instead of just going hard and making a name for himself.. others included. Is it coz of pressure from Simpkin, or Madge making a big deal about mistakes players are making, instead of focusing on taking opportunities? I have no idea but I can’t forget seeing players getting back into position when the ball was on offer. & I should have heard Liddle yelling at Tamau for the ball, from my lounge room

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
I’d like to see Nofo’s crab meters too, it would have to be around 600 meters not gained per match I reckon. Gotta love him though, at least he has plenty of points and meters gained to go with it, there are plenty of players that don’t.
Yea it’s Petty shit mate..And the Heart shown with Nofo’s hit up at full tit with his kick return, straight back into de Bellin and burgess? Who fked him up and twisted him into a position that’s no person should be in. Then he shakes it off and carries on. We are crying out for heart from players, well there it is right there..you don’t have to look any further. Any real league lover would look at that in awe…yet all we hear about is nofos crabbing across field when no other player is going to set the game alight from a pass. Nofo obviously has enough real success from the crabbing to warrant continuing with it …and it has only been done by the best, at or near their best. Players with that uncanny mix of speed, balance, an eye for the gap, confidence and a need to make a difference! starting with Ellery Hanley, Turbo and Benji ..What? did yous think it was easy to do?

Last edited:

Pezz70

Juniors
Douehi yes, but don't think Talau is the answer. He's definitely an improvement on the imposter that played 4 yesterday, but we need a strike centre.
100% agrees but he is the best we have atm, and I think a player who has the potential to develop into a reasonable option.

Pezz70

Juniors
Liddle reminded me of a player that feels he has to avoid doing the wrong thing instead of just going hard and making a name for himself.. others included. Is it coz of pressure from Simpkin or Madge making a big deal about mistakes players are making instead of focusing on taking opportunities? I have no idea but I can’t forget seeing players getting back into position when the ball was on offer. I should have heard Liddle yelling at Tamau for the ball from my lounge room
I’m a Liddle fan but I can’t work
Out what he is doing with some of his right to left passes from
Dummy half, he goes to pass and the ball just drops on the ground. He does it once
Or twice every game

Tiger05

First Grade
Yea it’s Petty shit mate..And the Heart shown with Nofo’s hit up at full tit with his kick return, straight back into de Bellin and burgess? Who fked him up and twisted him into a position that’s no person should be in. Then he shakes it off and carries on. We are crying out for heart from players, well there it is right there..you don’t have to look any further. Any real league lover would look at that in awe…yet all we hear about is nofos crabbing across field when no other player is going to set the game alight from a pass. Nofo obviously has enough real success from the crabbing to warrant continuing with it …and it has only been done by the best, at or near their best. Players with that uncanny mix of speed, balance, an eye for the gap, confidence and a need to make a difference! starting with Ellery Hanley, Turbo and Benji ..What? did yous think it was easy to do?

You got this right. I haven't been a fan of Nofo this season but geez he can play with a massive amount of heart at times. Great kick returns. He can score a try. He is slow for a winger and that lack of pace in tandem with some poor defensive positioning does make him a target defensively but if the rest of the team does their job that isn't a big problem.

Tiger05

First Grade
I’m a Liddle fan but I can’t work
Out what he is doing with some of his right to left passes from
Dummy half, he goes to pass and the ball just drops on the ground. He does it once
Or twice every game

On Liddle I also saw him throw some poor passes to Hastings who makes it not look so bad. I like him and he is too good for reserve grade but he needs to fix some parts of his game.

We need Api next season.

WA Tiger

Bench
You got this right. I haven't been a fan of Nofo this season but geez he can play with a massive amount of heart at times. Great kick returns. He can score a try. He is slow for a winger and that lack of pace in tandem with some poor defensive positioning does make him a target defensively but if the rest of the team does their job that isn't a big problem.
Im not convinced about nofo’s lack of speed but cheers 05

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
He isn't JAC or Coates or a player like that. He is playing with heart lately though.
I don’t think I’ve seen a back have a go at the line full tit like that with no thought of self preservation since …who was that fullback for broncos?? A while back He went to Union

Meant to comment since Sunday, did anyone else think that it was smart when Mikaele took the tap and ran when the Tigers were awarded a penalty?

My thoughts immediately was 'he dropped that' when he was awarded the penalty, but quick as, he tapped and ran and so avoided the opportunity of saints going to a captains call.

Phil Gould

Juniors
Sorry WA, don’t get me wrong, I love Nofo. I was just having a laugh more at the “crab meters not gained” idea than Nofo, when he knocked back more money to stay with the tigers is when I was really in awe of the guy, that’s a heart pumping tiger blood right there!

Fordy20

Juniors
Liddle reminded me of a player that feels he has to avoid doing the wrong thing instead of just going hard and making a name for himself.. others included. Is it coz of pressure from Simpkin, or Madge making a big deal about mistakes players are making, instead of focusing on taking opportunities? I have no idea but I can’t forget seeing players getting back into position when the ball was on offer. & I should have heard Liddle yelling at Tamau for the ball, from my lounge room
I’m assuming it’s because he’s off contract while we have Rua and Simpkin on the books with Api coming in to mentor them, so there might not be room for him.

Compare that to a club like Parramatta who panic bought a broken Josh Hodgson after lowballing the backup QLD hooker. Liddle would probably be their starting hooker next year

WA Tiger

Bench
Sorry WA, don’t get me wrong, I love Nofo. I was just having a laugh more at the “crab meters not gained” idea than Nofo, when he knocked back more money to stay with the tigers is when I was really in awe of the guy, that’s a heart pumping tiger blood right there!
Ey what…I knew that Phil .. I was talking with you on a “yip I agree ” level coz I didn’t want an aggravated back and forth with the source…Although Im sure it will be business as usual anyway regardless of my opinion.
I understand your diplomatic with how you come across, but I knew where you were coming from. Being a Pisces Tiger I can’t help but go at it sometimes, if for me something like that’s ticking away. When I saw Nofos hit I thought it was bad, especially when I saw him hesitate on his next run at the line. I hope it’s not something serious like internal organs shit. That was some hit.

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
I’m assuming it’s because he’s off contract while we have Rua and Simpkin on the books with Api coming in to mentor them, so there might not be room for him.

Compare that to a club like Parramatta who panic bought a broken Josh Hodgson after lowballing the backup QLD hooker. Liddle would probably be their starting hooker next year
Haha..I forgot about Josh Hodgson. A close call.