What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mateo Gorn!!!

yy_cheng

Coach
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...1213321687044.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

The immediate challenge for Feleti Mateo is Benji Marshall. Later, it could be the 15-man code, write Will Swanton and Adrian Proszenko.

Feleti Mateo could be the next league superstar to switch codes.

On the eve of his blockbuster clash with Wests Tigers playmaker Benji Marshall, Parramatta pivot Mateo revealed his days in the NRL could be numbered. "Once you've achieved the highest levels you want to do more, just like Wendell Sailor and those guys did," Mateo told The Sun-Herald.

"It would be a challenge anyone would want to take on.

"I'm happy at the Eels now. They're a good bunch of boys, I'm playing good footy and they have a big future. But in three years' time [contract expiry], if that opportunity comes up, you never know what might happen.

"I'm not going to say no.

"I don't just see the dollar signs. The money is attractive but my look on it is, you have to consider if you'll love playing rugby in France or something like that. You never know."

Mateo said the lure of becoming a dual international - he has already represented Tonga - is part of the appeal of joining the 15-man code. But his immediate focus is on Marshall in a clash between two irrepressible football forces. Mateo has been unstoppable for the Eels recently and Marshall hit full stride for the Tigers against the Cowboys last weekend in his most ominous display of the season. If Marshall was the young gun of the 2005 season, Mateo is this year's version.

The 24-year-old is arguably the form player in the NRL after star performances against Brisbane and Canberra. Few head-to-head clashes in the competition can match Mateo v Marshall for blockbuster status.

"He's an excitement machine. I don't think there's anyone who wouldn't love to watch him play," Mateo said of Marshall.

"He's so exciting with his feet and his hands. It will be good to come up against him.

"He's got his own style and I'd like to think I've got my own. There's always stuff to take out of people's games, sometimes you mimic what you can." The pair lined up alongside each other as the halves pairing for the 2003 Australian Schoolboys side but have never clashed at NRL level. Their only previous encounters were junior interstate matches.

"I know Benji personally, I don't think I've played against him since schoolboys," Mateo said.

"I played against him when I played for NSW and he played for Queensland. It's funny to come together now and play against each other.

"Back in schoolboys footy he was so dominant, as he is now. You can imagine his footwork against schoolkids," Mateo said.

"I wore the six and he wore the seven [for Australian Schoolboys]. He was so dominant and I just filled in and did my best. When I see him I always have a good chat but on the field it's a bit different.

"I can't wait to get out there. We're going to have to watch out for him. It will be a big challenge for us and I'm looking forward to it."

Marshall went into the Cowboys game with a premeditated plan to get involved early. His run of injuries had left his confidence running low. He ran from dummy half from the second play.

By the end of one of the most enthralling team displays of the season, he was goose-stepping and jinking, having a hand twice in one 95-metre movement that led to the Tigers' breathtaking late try.

Tigers coach Tim Sheens said it was Marshall's best display for a while, but the player talked it down as much as he could.

"That try, it shows what we can do when we click," he said.

"The confidence is going up. It's just about getting game time. It was good to be able to stretch out, get involved.

"We've still got a long way to go as a team but I think we're on the right track.

"We all just need to keep our heads down and not get too far ahead of ourselves.

"It's still only the third game I've played with Heady [halfback Mathew Head] so it's hard to build a combination when you haven't done anything before, but we're getting better every week."

Marshall was far keener to deflect attention to captain Brett Hodgson.

"Hodgo has been our best player by far, every week. He's the smallest guy on the field and he's holding the team together. I'm shattered that he's going next year, to be honest.

"As a player and as a captain, he holds the team together.

"We're really going to miss him because he's the one who is really setting our team alight."

---

Had you there hah? Better give Finchy a life contract

Last edited:

watatank

Coach
lol he hasn't achieved anything in footy yet. he still has desire to play origin doesn't he? he hasn't made/won a grand final yet. i don't know what individual awards he has won but there are plenty out there. there's plenty to achieve for him.

Gronk

Staff member
Like SBW, he'd have to play 10 or 12 (5/8 or inside centre) in RU. He's not big enough to play second row, lock or breakaway. Can't see it happening really.

parra pete

Referee
lol he hasn't achieved anything in footy yet. he still has desire to play origin doesn't he? he hasn't made/won a grand final yet. i don't know what individual awards he has won but there are plenty out there. there's plenty to achieve for him.

Bretty Finch achieved origin footy status plus grand final and personal awards but hasn';t achieved anything if you believe those who post on this forum.

caylo

Bench
every week they ask a different player if they would go the RU, every time the player comes back out and said I wouldn't rule it out... this is just pure media rant...
3 years is a long time

Gronk

Staff member
Bretty Finch achieved origin footy status plus grand final and personal awards but hasn';t achieved anything if you believe those who post on this forum.

This crap player is again in mix for SoO3 after Wallace's surgery. A good choice over rookies like Carney.

Way better than Kimmorley. :roll:

well the opportunity is there for finch if he has a blinder today (shut up it might happen!) he can put a big feather in his cap

Pazza

First Grade
boring! of course he is going to say that, union interest would bump his price up. Every player in league uses union as a bargaining tool.

Hurriflatch

Referee
If they started a New Zealand vs Pacific Islanders game that is run in conjunction with NSW vs QLD

Feleti, SBW etc won't leave the game as they'd have an Origin series of their own.