What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mateo spills the beans

ozbash

Referee
Former Warriors player Feleti Mateo says shy Polynesian players playing rugby league are at risk of being manipulated and underpaid.

Mateo, 31, who is on a two-year contract with Manly after being offloaded by the Warriors mid-season last year, said the shyness of many Pacific Islanders could lead to them being taken advantage of at the negotiating table.

Mateo said player managers could help young stars but many were not being represented well.

"If they have the right management who are looking out for their best needs [yes], but from what I've seen there's a lot of kids that don't," he said.

"Especially over in New Zealand. A lot seem scared to leave the comfort of their family, which is understandable, and they're probably taking less money to stay at home. That's probably also happening in Sydney and Brisbane.

"I think a lot of kids are believing what they're told ... but I also think kids knowing what they're worth has come a long way, there's some big egos coming through."

Warriors chief executive Jim Doyle, however, said the claims by Mateo were "a load of nonsense".

"We spend a lot of time looking after our kids," he said.

"Certainly from an under-paying point of view that's a load of crap. There is no doubt that when we have got players who do well, there's six or seven players in the NRL who would like to sign them, so if we were under-paying them I'm sure they would go elsewhere.

"If you look at the NRL we benchmark with every one of the 16 clubs, we are not under-paying our players. If we did we wouldn't be able to retain them."

Doyle said Mateo would have to "know a lot of our young players and know exactly what they get paid if he is making those statements".

"I would be very surprised if he does."

Doyle, who took over the reins at the Warriors this year, said the club had just upgraded a number of player's contracts.

"If we were doing what he is suggesting why would we have upgraded players, we would have just kept them on the contract they were on.

"He's obviously just trying to make some sort of statement that is completely false."

But Mateo also gathered from talking to young players during his time at the Warriors they didn't feel as though there was help available.

"I'm not sure if Jerry Seuseu [former Kiwi prop] is still the welfare officer over there but [while I was in Auckland] he was doing a great job, doing his best, but I don't think it's looked at enough.

"When I left [the Warriors] it was very results-based, if you weren't getting the job done it was all that mattered. From being around for as long as I have I feel there's a lot more to getting the best out of a player and that's something I want to help guys get through."

The Tongan international, who has played for Parramatta, London Broncos, the Warriors as well as for the NRL All Stars and City Origin, expressed his views because he believed the next generation of stars shouldn't be penalised because of shyness.

"I think it's important young guys speak out, especially the Polynesian kids because they're usually shy and when they want things done, it's hard for them to communicate," Mateo said.

"When I got older, got more confidence and learned things, I spoke out about things but I found things out the hard way. Now I'm older I think I can offer these kids advice not to do the things I did."

Mateo said Polynesian players often had pressure to become the bread-winner for an extended family, who could take advantage of them.

"Hundred per cent [they can be taken advantage of], mate, I saw that first-hand in New Zealand," he said.

"It's dominated by Polynesian's over there and ... living with families ... there's a high expectation on them to make it. If they get the sniff of any hope all the eggs go into one basket for that one kid and when things don't work out so well as they could it's pretty hard for the kids.

"I saw a lot of that over there."

His advice to young players was to get all they could from the game, including an education from courses available through the NRL.

Mateo scuttled rumours he was headed to French Super League Club the Catalans at the end of the season, saying he would honour the year remaining on his deal with Manly.

"I was in a place where I wasn't wanted in New Zealand so it was best for both parties that I moved on," he said. "Coming here I have coaches who believe in me. I know I definitely have more in me, I've been plagued by injuries this year, more so than any time in my career.

"I've heard a few rumours about my future but as far as I'm concerned I have one more year here and I'm going to honour that. I've loved my time so far and with this squad we've got and I feel like we can do good things."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league...s-at-risk-of-being-manipulated-former-warrior

shiznit

Coach
Points are old Mateo. Glad we got rid of that lazy cancerous merkin.
That's harsh... There's actually a lot of truth to what he's saying.

To be honest, this is the first time I've seen Jim Doyle come out looking worse in an article.

I like Jim, but he was far too defensive about this.

I wonder if the jurno who approached Jim for a comment stirred up shit a little bit.

Because Mateo's comments were in general, and they are valid points.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors

To be honest, this is the first time I've seen Jim Doyle come out looking worse in an article.

I wonder if the jurno who approached Jim for a comment stirred up shit a little bit.

BS Mateo is full of crap even there is some truth to it - coming from Mateo is laughable.
I a 100% behind Doyle in this case.

All his statements contradicted themselves.
What is he actually trying to say?

Does he want the young polynesian players to be more about themselves? Chase they Dollar and opportunities? Like him.

Doyle should of fired a shot on how he was over paid

Is that really what really is beneficial for the players? To go overseas.

He does realise there is massive issues as the moment of young players going to Aussie to early. Environments where they arent nutured for.

A guys like Brad Abbey who both his parents & manager thinks he walks on water.
Isnt the messages he needs - Abbey needs to actually come back to earth and reality that he needs to toughen up.

Yes - I am sure there are young players like Elijah Taylork even Havili, Lousi's etc who might think they arent getting market value - simple go shop yourselves around. Give it a crack - many come worse off.

Its the nature of the business.

Funny end of the story - claiming Warriors were too much about results?

Then that Mannly are already shopping him around.

No one said there was no truth to it. It's just rather funny that he never said shit when he was with us. Now that Manly are shopping him around he's become an ambassador for Polynesians all of a sudden.

What would you want us to do bro? Cuddle these Polynesians and give them heaps of $$$$. The actual issue is their families. They put all sorts of pressure on these kids to stay and provide for them.

Professional not Brofessional

BS Mateo is full of crap even there is some truth to it - coming from Mateo is laughable.
I a 100% behind Doyle in this case.

All his statements contradicted themselves.
What is he actually trying to say?

Does he want the young polynesian players to be more about themselves? Chase they Dollar and opportunities? Like him.

Doyle should of fired a shot on how he was over paid

Is that really what really is beneficial for the players? To go overseas.

He does realise there is massive issues as the moment of young players going to Aussie to early. Environments where they arent nutured for.

A guys like Brad Abbey who both his parents & manager thinks he walks on water.
Isnt the messages he needs - Abbey needs to actually come back to earth and reality that he needs to toughen up.

Yes - I am sure there are young players like Elijah Taylork even Havili, Lousi's etc who might think they arent getting market value - simple go shop yourselves around. Give it a crack - many come worse off.

Its the nature of the business.

Funny end of the story - claiming Warriors were too much about results?

Then that Mannly are already shopping him around.

your right but doyle will never come out publicaly and have a war or words with anyone, not his style

shiznit

Coach
All of you seem to believe there is some truth to what he's saying...

Your just rubbishing it because it's Mateo delivering the message.

The issue I have with that is the same issue I have with Doyles response...

From what I've read... Mateo is talking about clubs in general... But It seems to be that the tone of the article is insinuating that he's taking a shot at the Warriors.

He used the Warriors as an example because of the large number of poly kids they have... But I honestly think he was talking about the game in general.

I get the feeling the article was written to look that way and Jim may have been asked some leading questions by the jurno.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
your right but doyle will never come out publicaly and have a war or words with anyone, not his style

Yeah, because he's actually professional, not a cheap headline whore. The Poly boys will get f**ked over a lot harder by the Aussie clubs than us, guaranteed. We at least offer them the opportunity to try their hand at pro footy while staying with their families and community.

shinobi

Juniors
There is definitely some truth in what hes saying there are some massive issues and pressures within the polynesian/maori playerbase we only need to look at the suicides amongst young players in the last couple of years.

Hello? We live in a capitalist society, have a look at its meaning in the dictionary. Bosses will pay the least they can get away with.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
As OZ would say, FO Mateo. Doyle had every right to rubbish him.

The NRL are not obliged to micro-manage the lives of every player, be they white, yellow or shy Polynesians. The NRL is part of the real world, where if you're over 18 you are an adult and therefore largely responsible for your own fortunes.

Then the 'scared to leave the comfort of their families' crap. Honestly, we haven't been able to sign players for anything less than massive overs for that exact reason. If you want to live at home, clubs have a bit stronger bargaining power. And vice versa.

All this from a fat waste of talent who received a very juicy (no doubt) contract to come over here and drink lots of piss. Don't think we didn't used to see you hammered in Ponsonby every week, Feleti. Cool role model for these kids you claim to care about.

vvvrulz

Coach
All this from a fat waste of talent who received a very juicy (no doubt) contract to come over here and drink lots of piss. Don't think we didn't used to see you hammered in Ponsonby every week, Feleti. Cool role model for these kids you claim to care about.

Mateo was just fine for the Warriors until about 2013, then he stopped giving a crap.

But the overall point holds true, he is in no position to talk about commitment and act like the Polynesians get a raw deal. If anything many at the Warriors establishment need a real kick up the bum for getting on the pies in the off season or turning up to training with a bucket of KFC.

Sounds like a precious self-entitled mentality.

If you want respect and self development (which will ultimately lead to a fat pay check), then you have to work your butt off for it. Raw talent isn't the only criteria.

Iafeta

Referee
Well this is different. He usually spills the ball.

Anyhow, it's market economics. If the financial opportunities were superior elsewhere then we would be losing a lot of players. Take Matulino as an sample. If he's on $350k with us and he's off contract and offered $500k there's a reasonable chance he is gone. It's up to him to work out whether $350k with the comfort of being home is what he wants.

Whether or not the Warriors offer unders is really not an issue. The market always dictates for quality players there will be alternate opportunities to pick from. It's up to the player to select the option that is best for them.

I know this is a bit different, but do you know the single biggest reason employees statistically leave their job? It's their manager. It's not money. Fatty almost makes out players should always follow the biggest dollar thrower. If that is to be true, given what Man,y are paying DCE, they will never attract another player as they can't compete against other clubs who don't have the DCE noose around their neck.

Blair

Coach
I remember Rubin Wiki fought a successful court battle to stay with Canberra rather than go to the Warriors in 1995. He must have been OK living away from family. A premiership ring would have helped with his decision too.

Most players miss family. Tomkins is going home for family reasons. George Rose left Melbourne for this reason, Maloney, Barba, Hannant, Jamie Lyon, Justin Hodges...it's not an exclusive Warriors and/or polynesian issue.

Last edited:

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
All of you seem to believe there is some truth to what he's saying...

Your just rubbishing it because it's Mateo delivering the message.

The issue I have with that is the same issue I have with Doyles response...

From what I've read... Mateo is talking about clubs in general... But It seems to be that the tone of the article is insinuating that he's taking a shot at the Warriors.

He used the Warriors as an example because of the large number of poly kids they have... But I honestly think he was talking about the game in general.

I get the feeling the article was written to look that way and Jim may have been asked some leading questions by the jurno.

Definately rubbishing Mateo.....I could give him the benefit of the doubt.
That journo turned it around......but still Mateo is the wrong person to discuss leaderships.

I do know deep down he is an intellgient, experienced player. However he is talented but equally lazy. Start talking about PI players but I read it as something about himself. .. He is bitter he got pushed out of the warriors, now manly.

Mateo must also give respect to the NRL in some capacity they probably are world leader in acknowledging Pacific Islanders. Still plenty to learn but they have more support provided that any other sport. Each club have 1-2 dedicated welfare & education support - with a handful being PI themselves. The Warriors I think have at least two island support work in Jerry Seuseu and somebody else.

Definately Doyle sounds fired up.....but like you said that would be based on what the Journo was saying. I would rather him come out and say something than say nothing.

Latest posts