What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

GT0007

Juniors
If he continues improving, then the message needs to be made to him that he will at least be training in FG sooner rather than later. That seems to be the deciding factor these days.

I like what the Tigers are doing with guys like Brooks and Moses. Give them a game or two in the top grade and see if they can cut it.

Don't want another Hastings episode, and you can be sure teams like the Roosters and Dogs will be circling.

I really think we wouldve had to pay massive overs to keep Hastings with the family ties he has with the Rorters. A bit disappointing though from a loyalty point when he played with us not them. What his dad did was irrelevant, will be waiting behind Pearce and Malony for a while I imagine

I really think we wouldve had to pay massive overs to keep Hastings with the family ties he has with the Rorters. A bit disappointing though from a loyalty point when he played with us not them. What his dad did was irrelevant, will be waiting behind Pearce and Malony for a while I imagine

The release of Daniel Mortimer probably opens up an opportunity for Hastings, if not this year, then next.

giboz71

First Grade

This is what really puzzled me?? The a roosters had the incumbent origin halves when he signed who are both still relatively young. Our halves last year were Fien and Stanley. You'd think a shot at FG would be more probable with us...yet he chose them???

Anyway, all ended up fine as I'm happy we now have Benji and Widdop...but I couldn't help wondering at the time....

TheRev

First Grade
This is what really puzzled me?? The a roosters had the incumbent origin halves when he signed who are both still relatively young. Our halves last year were Fien and Stanley. You'd think a shot at FG would be more probable with us...yet he chose them???

Anyway, all ended up fine as I'm happy we now have Benji and Widdop...but I couldn't help wondering at the time....
It was an absurd situation, and makes you question our management of youth. Particularly since we were so deperate for a halfback, and the Roosters already had a young up and comer (the one from Tonga or Samoa I think it was).

It might have just been that Hastings was always destined for the Roosters, benefit of the doubt perhaps.. sounded like it was very much in the air though when his Mum (I think) used to post on these forums prior to him leaving.

Duck63

Juniors
Gorilla,I saw that game of Fox and yes that run your talking about was amasing,in the end tripped over by his own team mate.The game just passed against the cowboys he was everywhere , his speed /game positioning and reading of the game where very good.I agree with other posts his body needs time to mature to match it in higher grades.I read the comment from The Rev about Billy Slater, i agree but how good was he at 18 i think Dufty still has some time The Dragons would be mad if they let this one go,how much would be worth??.I dont think he would have to much trouble finding another club. He's a KEEPER dragons.

BennyV

Referee
It was an absurd situation, and makes you question our management of youth. Particularly since we were so deperate for a halfback, and the Roosters already had a young up and comer (the one from Tonga or Samoa I think it was).

It might have just been that Hastings was always destined for the Roosters, benefit of the doubt perhaps.. sounded like it was very much in the air though when his Mum (I think) used to post on these forums prior to him leaving.

I wholeheartedly believe there was a dodgey going on with Hastings. I'd say Roosters offered something to his Mum that Dragons could not...

Fingerbang

Bench
I wholeheartedly believe there was a dodgey going on with Hastings. I'd say Roosters offered something to his Mum that Dragons could not...
She was in big trouble with gambling debts....I wonder if she still has them?

Kuro

Juniors
I'm okay with letting Hastings go and how the club went about it.

He had the initial family ties with the Roosters and we would have to pay overs to keep him. There was no guarantee that he would turn out a superstar in FG anyway and he was probably 2-3 years away from cracking FG.

There will always be other opportunities to sign players.

Lethal25

Juniors
Rooster friend of mine telling me that Hastings is considered too slow for the halves by Roosters staff and that they're hoping he can become a back rower. Also they've encountered some issues with his attitude, nothing specific mentioned so don't know how much to believe but does seem plausible about his speed.

BennyV

Referee
Rooster friend of mine telling me that Hastings is considered too slow for the halves by Roosters staff and that they're hoping he can become a back rower. Also they've encountered some issues with his attitude, nothing specific mentioned so don't know how much to believe but does seem plausible about his speed.

Family friend who played NYC with Hastings last year brought up his attitude alot - apparently was a very selfish player and very full of himself in general, not good signs for a kid still a few years away frm first grade.

Apparently could be a very handy hooker...but then is stuck behind Friend anyway...

jenninga

First Grade
Family friend who played NYC with Hastings last year brought up his attitude alot - apparently was a very selfish player and very full of himself in general, not good signs for a kid still a few years away frm first grade.

Apparently could be a very handy hooker...but then is stuck behind Friend anyway...

Hastings,Drinkwater,Henry all stars at NYC level,all up themselves.
Why NYC should not be televised and relegated to suburban grounds so these primadonnas can earn their way to an NRL career and appreciate the game more.

BennyV

Referee
Hastings,Drinkwater,Henry all stars at NYC level,all up themselves.
Why NYC should not be televised and relegated to suburban grounds so these primadonnas can earn their way to an NRL career and appreciate the game more.

Add Cummins to that list too...

Duck63

Juniors
It,s good to see the dragons have signed the three young juniors,but what about young Dufty another solid performance yesterday in the nyc, 2 tries one of them brilliant, 80m effort. Is he signed does anyone know ?

KiamaSaint

Coach
I don't get why we are so eager to blood youngsters. Brooks, Sironen, Moses & Tedesco are all suffering by being pushed into first grade too soon. Yes you blood them but you are also setting them up for a host of long term injuries and being broken before they even turn 20.

St Tangles

Bench
I think with Dufty he is still a few years away but would be nice to know that when he is ready it will be in the big red V.

gorilla

First Grade

Hahahaha,

Backrower, the lad is a dwarf !

You should see the postman for attitude.

gorilla

First Grade
Dufty is the only one heads and shoulders above the rest (now that Hastings is gone).

Bird is the next most hopeful (cross fingers), Crook a maybe if he can stay healthy.. some of the centres are going ok.. and some of the forwards look solid, but I feel its too early to tell whether they can make the jump in grade, I imagine forwards have a much harder time adapting to first grade since they need to put on plenty of kilo's to go belting fully grown men I think I heard its age 21-22 before your bones fully harden.

You're on the $ Rev.

Bone-hardening is called "ossification" and it generally occurs between 20 - 26 yrs age.

You've only got to look at Brooks and Moses from the Tiges, last match, shoulders f**ked up incrementally, until they can't use them.

Dufty is a 1/1000, lock him up, let him go. Deano and Herbie will look after him.

When he's ready he'll go great.

Same for Bird and Crook.

Last edited:

BennyV

Referee
I don't get why we are so eager to blood youngsters. Brooks, Sironen, Moses & Tedesco are all suffering by being pushed into first grade too soon. Yes you blood them but you are also setting them up for a host of long term injuries and being broken before they even turn 20.

They arent the only ones, Tigpies also had issues with Lawrence, Marshall, Ashford, Moltzen who IMO were simply brought in too young.

I'm glad we do the right thing by them and wait until they are fully ready before dropping them into the top level.