What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Imo, i don't see Dufty as our long term fullback. He, under his current form, will probably see out his contract (end 2021?) After that he'd probably need to move on or reinvent himself in another position.

Again, just my opinion.

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors
For all his weaknesses, Duffy has directly had a hand in winning multiple games for us since his debut. For the record how many times did Dugan do that? Or any fullback of ours in recent memory?

He’s not someone you build a team around, but he is an incredibly gifted player. And until Ramsey or Schiller are able to match it with the big boys he’s far and away our best option.

I’ve seen some comments suggesting he move into a 5/8 role, one could argue he’s already playing that role in attack at the moment. I can’t help but feel he’d be Soward 2.0 without a hardened edge backrower in the mould of a beau scott.

hazzbeen

Bench
For all his weaknesses, Duffy has directly had a hand in winning multiple games for us since his debut. For the record how many times did Dugan do that? Or any fullback of ours in recent memory?

He’s not someone you build a team around, but he is an incredibly gifted player. And until Ramsey or Schiller are able to match it with the big boys he’s far and away our best option.

I’ve seen some comments suggesting he move into a 5/8 role, one could argue he’s already playing that role in attack at the moment. I can’t help but feel he’d be Soward 2.0 without a hardened edge backrower in the mould of a beau scott.
Right on and welcome to the forum ....

blacksafake

First Grade

Pretty fair assessment & welcome to the mad house.

ALSGI

Bench

Intelligent post mate and agree with your assessment on Duff. I’ve always been a fan despite his deficiencies and I don’t think we’ve seen his best yet.

Although, Dugan definitely did win us a quiet a few games with some solo efforts, my most memorable occasion was when he palmed off Soward at the end of a game to score a win against the Panfers. Arguably his defence helped as win plenty too (when he wasn’t injured) hence our offer of $800k to re-sign him - glad he told us to shove it and Flanno told him he was a Superstar..............or something like that.

hazzbeen

Bench
Intelligent post mate and agree with your assessment on Duff. I’ve always been a fan despite his deficiencies and I don’t think we’ve seen his best yet.

Although, Dugan definitely did win us a quiet a few games with some solo efforts, my most memorable occasion was when he palmed off Soward at the end of a game to score a win against the Panfers. Arguably his defence helped as win plenty too (when he wasn’t injured) hence our offer of $800k to re-sign him - glad he told us to shove it and Flanno told him he was a Superstar..............or something like that.
I look at it this way , if Dufty makes a mistake and opposition score ( his mistakes are getting less ) , but he scores and sets up tries because without him no does much ..... Its about out scoring the opposition , so I'm all for him ..... He will only get better as time goes on and our team gets stronger , don't forget we are a bottom 8 team at the moment .....

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors
“Although, Dugan definitely did win us a quiet a few games with some solo efforts, my most memorable occasion was when he palmed off Soward at the end of a game to score a win against the Panfers”

Legitimately forgot about that, but now you mention it I do. Defensively sound but I still think you could count his direct winning contributions on one hand. Not what you want from a bloke on $800k *cough Norman*

getsmarty

Immortal
duftym-200717_gt_0.jpg

DRAGONS

Dufty's investment property paying on-field dividends
Author
Brad Walter Reporting from Dharawal nation
Timestamp
Thu 30 Jul 2020, 08:01 AM
walterbrad-head.png

Matt Dufty has credited a move to Wollongong to be closer to training with a dramatic form turnaround for St George Illawarra that may have saved his career.

Dufty, who has scored eight tries in nine matches, admits training had become a "punish" last year as he travelled from Sydney to WIN Stadium but the 24-year-old fullback is now among the first to arrive and last to leave at most sessions.

The benefits are obvious for a player who was told he was free to find another club at the end of last season but has now regained his No.1 jersey and is not only one of the NRL’s leading try-scorers but features among the top 10 players for try assists and line break assists.

"It has been a big turnaround and I think a reason for that is moving from Sydney to Wollongong," Dufty said leading into Thursday night’s clash with South Sydney.

"It cuts the travel in half and I have been getting to training earlier, and staying a bit later."

Dufty bought a house at Flinders and St George Illawarra second-rower Tyrell Fuimaono has moved in with him.

"I was going to buy it as an investment and stay up in Sydney but then I thought I could halve the travel time to training and it has worked out really well," he said.

"After the club said they didn’t want me I was in a pretty bad place.

"I didn’t really like footy and training was a punish but I came into the pre-season and I thought to myself ‘I am really going to turn it around’.

"It is going to be hard but I really want to do it for myself so I am going to train hard and I put in the best pre-season I have ever done. I don’t think it is a fluke. It is through hard work."

The Penshurst RSL junior ignored the pain of a dislocated finger to combine with centre Zac Lomax for two tries in last Saturday’s controversial 28-24 loss to Cronulla and had a try disallowed in the 77th minute after fumbling a Ben Hunt grubber.

The pair have been proving a handful for defences trying to contain the Dragons' right edge, where Dufty has created four tries for Lomax and three for winger Mikaele Ravalawa.

Their partnership is likely to become an even more potent as both spent the pre-season training for the fullback role so they hadn't expected to play together.

Lomax lives near WIN Stadium and teammates joke he sleeps there but the extra time at training has helped him and Dufty to work on their combination.

"Zac is a good example of someone who puts in the hard work reaping the rewards," Dufty said.

"He is there all the time, he only lives around the corner. He gets there early and leaves late. He puts in a lot of work so I am really happy to see the form Zac is in because he is killing it.

"At the end of last season when the club said they didn’t want me it was a hard pill to swallow. I looked around in the pre-season and I still thought my best shot at playing first grade was with the Dragons.

"I had a good pre-season and it is unfortunate I broke my [cheekbone] at the NRL Nines but I got back and I am really happy with where I am at the moment."

Dragons coach Paul McGregor said the commitment of Dufty and Lomax at training was beginning to pay off for them and the team.

"They're two of the young guys that are going really well," McGregor said.

"That's on the professionalism they're showing. Duft's moved down to Wollongong, he's closer to the training base, he trains early and leaves late, he does extras, he works hard with the assistant coaches.

"I don't think Zac goes home. He's there the whole time. It's the way they really apply themselves to their trade through the week and they're getting the results on the weekend. It's a bright future for those two guys in the club."

Fuimaono, who joined the club from Souths, said he was also benefiting from the move to Wollongong.

"Before I moved I was probably driving 90 minutes per day each way to training so cutting that out of my daily routine has freed up two hours of time not sitting in the car," the second-rower said.

"We are under a pretty strict living regime now where we are not allowed to leave the house ... but before we went back into restrictions I was living right near the water so I was making use of that to go for recovery swims and whatnot."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/30/duftys-investment-property-paying-on-field-dividends/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dufty credits ‘life coach’ Clune with new outlook on league
Phil Lutton
August 22, 2020 — 2.48pm
Matt Dufty has credited his "life coach" Adam Clune with helping him to embrace a more professional approach to his career as he continues to impress in the Dragons' No.1 jumper.

It is this season the 24-year-old believes he has finally actioned the advice of coaches, past and present, who said he had to take extra care with the finer details of preparation and recovery if he wanted to be taken seriously as a top-line NRL player.
The results have been there for everybody to see.

And Dufty himself feels he is bringing far more energy to the game, as he takes a central role for a St George-Illawarra side that has won back-to-back games and continues to dream of finding a way into the top eight by the end of the season.

A central character has been Dragons halfback Clune, who has been constantly driving and pushing Dufty since they were teammates in the club's under-20 side. Dufty has appreciated every shove in the right direction.

"As a kid, I always overlooked it a bit – I just thought I'd go out and play some footy," Dufty said. "Last year was a roller-coaster season for me. I probably wasn't training as well as I could have and came into [this] pre-season with a real focus to try and be more professional.

6403339a496de04c76033d97b9aa9fa00d861543

Matt Dufty's increased attention to his match preparation and recovery has shown on the field.Credit:Getty Images

"After I broke my cheekbone at the nines, recovery was something to work on. It's been a big step to me playing consistent footy. I've got more energy, I'm around the ball more, I'm a better support player. It's just a better mindset knowing I've done everything possible during the week.

"Cluney has always been the ultimate professional: he watches a lot of video, he does all the recovery, he doesn't miss anything. In 20s he always tried to pull me along to do that stuff so having him there in pre-season really brought the best out in me.

"He's like a bit of a life coach for me; he doesn't let me get away with anything, which is good. I respect him and appreciate him."

Dufty's game has also been elevated by a shift in the Dragons' attacking structure. While it used to revolve around a big, running fullback, Dufty has been given added space and time to make key decisions in their back-line shifts.

That means the ability to not just run, but showcase his passing game, which came to the fore in Friday night's win over the Broncos when he floated a supreme cut-out that hit winger Mika Ravalawa flush on the chest, before he stampeded over the line and scored in the corner.

"I love being in that situation, it brings out all three options [pass, kick, run]," Dufty said. "My evolution as a first-grader – everyone always did video of my running game, which can get shut down pretty quickly.

"The Dragons always had an attacking structure with a big fullback. When Flanno [Shane Flanagan] took over the attack halfway through the year when I got put back into the team, we kind of changed it around to footy that suits me. I've always been able to pass, it just hasn't been in our attacking structure as much."

The signs are getting better for the Dragons, even if the top eight looks a genuine Hail Mary given some of the difficult assignments on their run home, which include the Raiders, Knights and Storm. With their spine all contracted for next season, Dufty wants a front seat for any resurgence.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/re...credits-life-coach-clune-20200822-p55oa7.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Dufty a triple threat for rebuilt Dragons
  • r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Matt Dufty is relishing the extra freedom he has been afforded as St George Illawarra's No.1.
    Matt Dufty will tell you he's always been able to pass.

It's just that St George Illawarra's structure never quite allowed the lightning-fast fullback to show it in the NRL until now.

Carving out a reputation as an out-and-out speedster on his NRL arrival, the Dragons No.1 is now showing there's more to his game since being reinstated at the back midway through the season.

Getting the ball earlier and in space is allowing the 24-year-old to do things like his three-man cut-out pass on Friday night to set up Mikaele Ravalawa in their 28-24 defeat of Brisbane.

"I love being in that situation; it brings out all three options because you can run, pass or kick," Dufty said of his increased ball-playing duties.

"Everyone always did video on my running game and in the NRL once you're doing something well it gets shut down pretty quick.

"When I got put back into the team we changed it around to footy that suits me.

"I've always been able to pass, it just hasn't been in our attacking structure as much."

The win was the Dragons' second straight after their impressive defeat of Parramatta last week but at 6-9, and still two wins outside the top eight, they are at long odds to play finals.

Stand-in coach Dean Young said that wasn't the side's driving force, though.

"I want to know what we're going to get from the Dragons every week .. at the moment we don't and that's the truth of it," he said.

"We are a long, long way off from being as good as the top sides and I've told them that."

Meanwhile, the Dragons will wait on news regarding Korbin Sims' fitness after the forward limped off with an apparent calf injury in the final stages of Friday's game.

Australian Associated Press

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/6890681/dufty-a-triple-threat-for-rebuilt-dragons/?cs=13068

Mjab

Juniors
Dufty a triple threat for rebuilt Dragons
  • r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Matt Dufty is relishing the extra freedom he has been afforded as St George Illawarra's No.1.
    Matt Dufty will tell you he's always been able to pass.

It's just that St George Illawarra's structure never quite allowed the lightning-fast fullback to show it in the NRL until now.

Carving out a reputation as an out-and-out speedster on his NRL arrival, the Dragons No.1 is now showing there's more to his game since being reinstated at the back midway through the season.

Getting the ball earlier and in space is allowing the 24-year-old to do things like his three-man cut-out pass on Friday night to set up Mikaele Ravalawa in their 28-24 defeat of Brisbane.

"I love being in that situation; it brings out all three options because you can run, pass or kick," Dufty said of his increased ball-playing duties.

"Everyone always did video on my running game and in the NRL once you're doing something well it gets shut down pretty quick.

"When I got put back into the team we changed it around to footy that suits me.

"I've always been able to pass, it just hasn't been in our attacking structure as much."

The win was the Dragons' second straight after their impressive defeat of Parramatta last week but at 6-9, and still two wins outside the top eight, they are at long odds to play finals.

Stand-in coach Dean Young said that wasn't the side's driving force, though.

"I want to know what we're going to get from the Dragons every week .. at the moment we don't and that's the truth of it," he said.

"We are a long, long way off from being as good as the top sides and I've told them that."

Meanwhile, the Dragons will wait on news regarding Korbin Sims' fitness after the forward limped off with an apparent calf injury in the final stages of Friday's game.

Australian Associated Press

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/6890681/dufty-a-triple-threat-for-rebuilt-dragons/?cs=13068
Pretty sad the peanut couldn’t be bothered utilising his passing and short

kick game for years

Really just more proof peanut had no idea as head coach

Kylez3

Juniors
Dufty credits ‘life coach’ Clune with new outlook on league
Phil Lutton
August 22, 2020 — 2.48pm
Matt Dufty has credited his "life coach" Adam Clune with helping him to embrace a more professional approach to his career as he continues to impress in the Dragons' No.1 jumper.

It is this season the 24-year-old believes he has finally actioned the advice of coaches, past and present, who said he had to take extra care with the finer details of preparation and recovery if he wanted to be taken seriously as a top-line NRL player.
The results have been there for everybody to see.

And Dufty himself feels he is bringing far more energy to the game, as he takes a central role for a St George-Illawarra side that has won back-to-back games and continues to dream of finding a way into the top eight by the end of the season.

A central character has been Dragons halfback Clune, who has been constantly driving and pushing Dufty since they were teammates in the club's under-20 side. Dufty has appreciated every shove in the right direction.

"As a kid, I always overlooked it a bit – I just thought I'd go out and play some footy," Dufty said. "Last year was a roller-coaster season for me. I probably wasn't training as well as I could have and came into [this] pre-season with a real focus to try and be more professional.

6403339a496de04c76033d97b9aa9fa00d861543

Matt Dufty's increased attention to his match preparation and recovery has shown on the field.Credit:Getty Images

"After I broke my cheekbone at the nines, recovery was something to work on. It's been a big step to me playing consistent footy. I've got more energy, I'm around the ball more, I'm a better support player. It's just a better mindset knowing I've done everything possible during the week.

"Cluney has always been the ultimate professional: he watches a lot of video, he does all the recovery, he doesn't miss anything. In 20s he always tried to pull me along to do that stuff so having him there in pre-season really brought the best out in me.

"He's like a bit of a life coach for me; he doesn't let me get away with anything, which is good. I respect him and appreciate him."

Dufty's game has also been elevated by a shift in the Dragons' attacking structure. While it used to revolve around a big, running fullback, Dufty has been given added space and time to make key decisions in their back-line shifts.

That means the ability to not just run, but showcase his passing game, which came to the fore in Friday night's win over the Broncos when he floated a supreme cut-out that hit winger Mika Ravalawa flush on the chest, before he stampeded over the line and scored in the corner.

"I love being in that situation, it brings out all three options [pass, kick, run]," Dufty said. "My evolution as a first-grader – everyone always did video of my running game, which can get shut down pretty quickly.

"The Dragons always had an attacking structure with a big fullback. When Flanno [Shane Flanagan] took over the attack halfway through the year when I got put back into the team, we kind of changed it around to footy that suits me. I've always been able to pass, it just hasn't been in our attacking structure as much."

The signs are getting better for the Dragons, even if the top eight looks a genuine Hail Mary given some of the difficult assignments on their run home, which include the Raiders, Knights and Storm. With their spine all contracted for next season, Dufty wants a front seat for any resurgence.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/re...credits-life-coach-clune-20200822-p55oa7.html

Sounds like Cluney should be our new head coach going forward.

hazzbeen

Bench
Dufty is first picked. Without him we have nothing.
Agree , without him don't have much attack , even with his mistakes .... And on that , I haven't seen Latrell from South's setting the world on fire at fullback , what I have seen is a lot of errors from him , but no one seems to bag him ..... Dufty and Latrell have same try assists , and Duff more tries ....

Old Timer

Coach
Dufty is certainly someone who can bring you to your feet and without him our attacking prowess is very limited.

My issue is he can also make you wince when he fails to put his body on the line.

If he can find a way to do that (Tedesco also had to find it) he will be the complete package without it I think his time at the back will be limited.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Agree , without him don't have much attack , even with his mistakes .... And on that , I haven't seen Latrell from South's setting the world on fire at fullback , what I have seen is a lot of errors from him , but no one seems to bag him ..... Dufty and Latrell have same try assists , and Duff more tries ....
The Duff man is always going to cop for his size. The fact that he gets rag dolled a bit and Latrell doesn't will probably always count against him in the eyes of many as skills may be seen as something that can improve over time but lack of size cant really be overcome. Im not in that camp but I do feel like this is the reason, also this is the reason people talk about him moving to 5/8 because they still want him in the side somewhere.

hazzbeen

Bench
Dufty is certainly someone who can bring you to your feet and without him our attacking prowess is very limited.

My issue is he can also make you wince when he fails to put his body on the line.

If he can find a way to do that (Tedesco also had to find it) he will be the complete package without it I think his time at the back will be limited.
For me he needs to stop surrendering bringing the ball back , that's when he gets rag dolled , he needs to run with oomph , so the opposition have to make a tackle ....

Dragonslayer

First Grade

Just my opinion but I dont see him at the Dragons past 2021.
A new coach maybe able to unlock his deficiencies and I hope so, however we have others waiting in the wings.