What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
A couple of pointers here:

1. I think Hook will be here longer than people think.

2. Unless something serious happens Duff will be here for the 2021 season.

3. Ramsey is no fullback. Of course he wants to play there, it's where the $$$ are just ask Duff! Further to Ramsey, great kid, but his body frame isnt going to support more weight. He's already stacked on kilos in the off-season, and this has really slowed down his pace, anymore and he'd be rendered another JP.

4. Is Sloan the chosen one? Possibly. Listening to him on the podcast, he's confident of getting a start in 1st grade soon (shame he's picked up a small injury). Where could that be?

5. Is there another? Maybe Bird, maybe an outsider from another comp, maybe there's another junior like Stewart they have their eye on.

Duff now seems to have atteacted some initial interest from a few clubs, but again they don't seem 'urgent'. Maybe his agent is testing the water, and it seems we have to the end of the season to make our final decision.
Based off your first point. If useless Mary McFlop was able to stay around for as long as he did, then Hook can f**k this club sideways and still keep his gig. Dragons coach is the easiest job in the NRL. No matter how bad you are, you will keep getting your contract extended

BLM01

First Grade
A couple of pointers here:

1. I think Hook will be here longer than people think.

2. Unless something serious happens Duff will be here for the 2021 season.

3. Ramsey is no fullback. Of course he wants to play there, it's where the $$$ are just ask Duff! Further to Ramsey, great kid, but his body frame isnt going to support more weight. He's already stacked on kilos in the off-season, and this has really slowed down his pace, anymore and he'd be rendered another JP.

4. Is Sloan the chosen one? Possibly. Listening to him on the podcast, he's confident of getting a start in 1st grade soon (shame he's picked up a small injury). Where could that be?

5. Is there another? Maybe Bird, maybe an outsider from another comp, maybe there's another junior like Stewart they have their eye on.

Duff now seems to have atteacted some initial interest from a few clubs, but again they don't seem 'urgent'. Maybe his agent is testing the water, and it seems we have to the end of the season to make our final decision.
Agree. like always with most.. but I dont think Point 3 is correct. And Dragons believe he will make a good fullback which I am warming to but agree got a heap of work to do.

I dont think he has lost speed based on a bit of muscle and weight which he needed.
Look at the size of Inglis.
His running style needs to improve as far as being flat footed at times and his initial go to is to step and when rucking the ball out (like Dufty was and probably still is) is a bit apprehensive to the collision.
He needs to put the step away until he really needs it and it actually fools someone.
When he actually gets balanced and is in open space he is quite quick, not sure he holds it over 100m like Duffman and the Addo Carrs etc or was even at their speed anyway
Just my thoughts on Ramsay

Old Timer

Coach
Hmmm there is plenty of criticism of Dufty’s defende and poor reads. Yes sone is warranted, but does anyone consider the poor defence in the first line that results in him being exposed?

There has been plenty
What you say is true people in the front line have missed tackles and that has exacerbated the situation however for many it us about the “effort” or lack there of on Dufty’s part when push comes to shove.
Young Campbell on debut last night showed how effective a small can be on a bigger man with an absolute pearler of a tackle.
I have never seen Dufty show anywhere near that level of intensity or commitment in a front on tackle and if I have missed him doing it then I wouldn’t have missed him doing many.

Just had a look through players off contract in the NRL at the end of this season...

Fullbacks, irrespective of your opinion on good or not. Possible targets

Caleb Aekins - Raiders. 23. Ex Penrith
Jesse Arthars- Broncos. 20.
Tex Hoy - Knights. 21.

All are playing behind mainstays except possibly Arthars (given Isaakos issues lately).

Others potentially from alternate positions who have played/could play 1...

Anthony Milford - Broncos. 26
Reuben Garrick - Sea Eagles - 23

And.... drumroll...

Brett Morris - Roosters. 34.

Now... if we are going external... who would be best of these, or others?

Of the best - I’d take Morris for a year. And see who develops in the juniors over 2022.

What I think they’ll do...

Caleb Aekins. Ex Penrith junior... playing behind Nicoll-Klokstad. He’s getting a first grade run behind a badly beaten team at the moment.

Or Milford. Surprised he’s only 26. I think he’s got better potential at 1 than the halves unless he was paired with a true organisor.

I’m unsure if Garrick has played 1 before but as for wingers who could make the switch, I think he’s a potential.

Who’s a better option than Dufty?

Morris for mine. Unless he retires of course. And at value for money so we can spend elsewhere...

Last edited:

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
I think there are a few things at play here being:

1. I think Dufty and his manager are asking far too much to re-sign. Coupled with the fact that he is turning 26 and still a heart attack waiting to happen in defense makes him a huge risk (but I love him);

2. I think the coaching staff are looking at an attacking wedge that includes Sloan, Sullivan and Amone going forward. Now there is risk in this strategy because dominance at the junior level does not automatically equate to 1st grade success; but I believe this is the aim.

3. Watching Sloan is interesting. He is one of those players like Dale Shearer, David Peachey etc who cruise around looking like they are in 2nd gear and then leave you in the dust. This kid looks really promising.

4. Where my theory leave Ramsay I am not sure.

5. From the limited time I have seen the Fegai twins can play; they have a real future.

6. We have to get 20-30 games into these kids to understand where they are at.

7. Finally, we need to see Jackson Ford given 10-15 games playing as a wide 2nd rower. I am not giving up on him yet. Remember he has come through under the abysmal prior coaching regime. Who has come out of those dark years with their reputation enhanced?

George Sancti

Juniors
Agree...BUT he hasn't been able to do this against top 4 sides on a consistent basis....Rocks and diamonds....Let me put forward this imaginary scenario...If the coaching staff have given him "X amount of time " to fix his defense and other issues and they are not happy with the progress, then so be it....

He has been in the top grade for 5 years....arguably the former coach wouldn't have helped his progress...Flanno worked miracles last year ...

Griffin is known for bringing through juniors.... I reckon Sloan has been earmarked for the position and dufty may possibly want a long term deal....

Personally I hate losing promising local juniors and it will be sad to see him in an opposition jumper, but it is what it is....
You make a lot of sense getsmarty. Matt’s performances against the strong teams are significantly inferior to his performances against the weaker teams and perhaps there are other factors which have not been made public.

My concern is that the young brigade may need a couple of years before they are ready for a permanent first grade role and I do not see another fullback on the market who has produced at the top level.

Pro Dragons

Juniors
How inspiring was Dufty’s comments about almost breaking down when given a standing ovation and fans rattling the cage as he walked to the dressing rooms and saying the Red V has a special place in my heart. Dufty is a true Dragon‘s player who is playing exceptional well. Compared to Hook who has so far not lived up to expectations. Phil Gould may be on the money when he said Griffin is not a good coach. Based on what we have seen this season I know who I would be showing the door.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
M

Hopefully with JDB back our defence with improve which will leave Dufty with less defending to do.

This is so wrong on so many levels. The defensive side of being a fullback isn't just making tackles... It's about positioning, effectiveness under the high ball, scramble on a loose ball, analysing attacking structures, counting our numbers in defense and barking orders at our players if we're short on one side.
Dufty has proven time and time again that he is inept in this area.

As for your next comment about showing Hook the door before Dufty, how well did that work out for the Titans?

Pro Dragons

Juniors
This is so wrong on so many levels. The defensive side of being a fullback isn't just making tackles... It's about positioning, effectiveness under the high ball, scramble on a loose ball, analysing attacking structures, counting our numbers in defense and barking orders at our players if we're short on one side.
Dufty has proven time and time again that he is inept in this area.

As for your next comment about showing Hook the door before Dufty, how well did that work out for the Titans?
Good points you make about about all what is involved in defence. I was not aware that he was inept in all of these areas.

How did it work out for the Panthers?

thebigredv

First Grade
This thread will all quieten down shortly when Dufty has his next 'rocks' performance, which, based on what we've seen the last 4 years, won't be too far away. At which point all those media personalities that don't watch Dragons matches in their entirety or just want to sell the action and the salacious side of the game will go back into their shell on the matter.

Having stated that, I signed the Keep Dufty petition purely because there is no clear succession plan for his impending departure. If it is suppose to be Sloane who is yet to play first grade or Ramsey, who is still finding his feet, then that is a joke. It is a big fat slap in the face of the fans who have seen a lot of stuttered, disjointed attacking performances the last decade.

It would be timely for our coach to at least come out and say who he is backing to play 1 at our club. Is that expecting too much?