What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

Como Connection

First Grade
This thread will all quieten down shortly when Dufty has his next 'rocks' performance, which, based on what we've seen the last 4 years, won't be too far away. At which point all those media personalities that don't watch Dragons matches in their entirety or just want to sell the action and the salacious side of the game will go back into their shell on the matter.

Having stated that, I signed the Keep Dufty petition purely because there is no clear succession plan for his impending departure. If it is suppose to be Sloane who is yet to play first grade or Ramsey, who is still finding his feet, then that is a joke. It is a big fat slap in the face of the fans who have seen a lot of stuttered, disjointed attacking performances the last decade.

It would be timely for our coach to at least come out and say who he is backing to play 1 at our club. Is that expecting too much?
Lomax!
CC

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
Thursday night was a game of touch footy. He is always going to dominate in games like that.

The top sides know how to handle him.
Parramatta didn't. Neither did Melbourne until his injury.

I get the defensive deficiencies and I can cop the line that the club can't win a premiership with him at 1. But I just don't see the better alternative either in-house or on the market for 2022.

However there are reportedly a number of quality fullbacks coming off contract end of next year. But that just resigns 2022 to a "rebuilding year" too.

blacksafake

First Grade
Just had a look through players off contract in the NRL at the end of this season...

Fullbacks, irrespective of your opinion on good or not. Possible targets

Caleb Aekins - Raiders. 23. Ex Penrith
Jesse Arthars- Broncos. 20.
Tex Hoy - Knights. 21.

All are playing behind mainstays except possibly Arthars (given Isaakos issues lately).

Others potentially from alternate positions who have played/could play 1...

Anthony Milford - Broncos. 26
Reuben Garrick - Sea Eagles - 23

And.... drumroll...

Brett Morris - Roosters. 34.

Now... if we are going external... who would be best of these, or others?

Of the best - I’d take Morris for a year. And see who develops in the juniors over 2022.

What I think they’ll do...

Caleb Aekins. Ex Penrith junior... playing behind Nicoll-Klokstad. He’s getting a first grade run behind a badly beaten team at the moment.

Or Milford. Surprised he’s only 26. I think he’s got better potential at 1 than the halves unless he was paired with a true organisor.

I’m unsure if Garrick has played 1 before but as for wingers who could make the switch, I think he’s a potential.

Who’s a better option than Dufty?

Morris for mine. Unless he retires of course. And at value for money so we can spend elsewhere...
I’m sure Garrick played a few games there last season when turbo was out. Didn’t set the world on fire & from memory suspect under the highball.
I think Morris has played his last game but if not at his age coming back from knee injury I’d pass. I’d rather remember him as a star for what he achieved with us.
Aekin is a no from me.
Milford I think could be ok in the short term at the right price.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Parramatta didn't. Neither did Melbourne until his injury.

I get the defensive deficiencies and I can cop the line that the club can't win a premiership with him at 1. But I just don't see the better alternative either in-house or on the market for 2022.

However there are reportedly a number of quality fullbacks coming off contract end of next year. But that just resigns 2022 to a "rebuilding year" too.

We were rolling against Parramatta. The forwards were dominating and Duff was picking up the scraps. As for Melbourne, admittedly he was having a blinder, but that was a Melbourne side without a lot of their star players too.

His in goal howler in Rd 1 cost us the Sharks game, along with his howler against the Warriors which was the turning point.
His lowlights package is just as comprehensive as his attacking feats. You don't want a fullback where you don't know what you're going to get week to week.

As for in-house options... Keep your eyes on Tyrell Sloan. He's the one.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
People other than me would know more about this but I'm presuming we won't see Sloan in FG this year but what's the genuine likelihood for next?

Sloan is a chance for a wing spot this year, they're just trying to build up his physicality... Which can take time.
I'd say it'll be a genuine battle over the 21/22 off-season for the FB spot between Ramsey and Sloan.

if dufty is not needed for 2022 and canberra want dufty then u expect we will let dufty go now, wouldnt u?

how do we think Dufty will go under the “soft touch” of Ricky Stuart...

Ricky makes James Graham look like Snow White.

Intrigued as to what the Raiders would look to cover as Nicoll-Klokstad is entrenched as a fullback barring injury.

Dragon David

First Grade
We were rolling against Parramatta. The forwards were dominating and Duff was picking up the scraps. As for Melbourne, admittedly he was having a blinder, but that was a Melbourne side without a lot of their star players too.

His in goal howler in Rd 1 cost us the Sharks game, along with his howler against the Warriors which was the turning point.
His lowlights package is just as comprehensive as his attacking feats. You don't want a fullback where you don't know what you're going to get week to week.

As for in-house options... Keep your eyes on Tyrell Sloan. He's the one.
I think that Tyrell Sloan has a lot going for him and needs to be brought along properly to become our fullback in first grade one day. He is a great attacking player and just like Dufty will need to do more in defensive training. He has the height and slightly heavier than Dufty which will help when taking the high balls. He should be given a go at fullback now if he qualifies to play first grade to gain the experience and also to enable us to see his potential for the future.

rasaint

Juniors
Boy oh Boy Matt really polarises this argument.

I hope we keep Matt Dufty because he is exciting, he is why I go to some Dragon games or switch on and watch on TV. A flying machine and sublime passing of the ball. He breaks the line and scores long range trys. I don’t go to the game to watch some of our overhyped slow pokes who don’t make breaks, miss tackles, drop bombs, dont have the speed to sweep into backline from fullback.

like a lot of these types of arguments, the middle ground is where the truth is. Teddy and Ponga miss tackles yep. Young Campbell did strongly tackle a stumbling Hynes whose momentum was stopped by frontline half tacklesthe other night. Dufty has made Teddy look like a turnstile.

Matt misses tackles, yep. But he goes alright. Matt I hope stays,at least for another year.

getsmarty

Immortal
Good points you make about about all what is involved in defence. I was not aware that he was inept in all of these areas.

How did it work out for the Panthers?

He set them up pretty well....people expecting a 1 year rebuild are kidding themselves.... Look how long it took Penrith...many positive signs this year with a weaker Roster...injuries have wrecked us recently along with suspensions....

TheFlash

Juniors
If you catch a replay of the Newcastle v Parra game played today, around the 61st minute Lachlan Fitzgibbon makes a break and is tackled by Gutherson, as the ball is played Gutherson sprints back into the fullback line, Newcastle players attempts to get an offload which is picked up by a Parra player who pass straight back to Gutherson, that 10-15 seconds of play is what Dufty lacks..

Slackboy72

Coach
If you catch a replay of the Newcastle v Parra game played today, around the 61st minute Lachlan Fitzgibbon makes a break and is tackled by Gutherson, as the ball is played Gutherson sprints back into the fullback line, Newcastle players attempts to get an offload which is picked up by a Parra player who pass straight back to Gutherson, that 10-15 seconds of play is what Dufty lacks..
So is Gutherson available for next year? Great.
Thanks for your contribution.

Latest posts