What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Giteau anyone?

aussies1st

Staff member
CANBERRA legend Mal Meninga has implored the Raiders to launch a brazen bid for Australia rugby union sensation Matt Giteau as the club hatches plans for a major recruitment drive.

Meninga's comments came as it was found that the NRL's elite have snubbed the Raiders, with the club failing to sign a State of Origin or Australia representativeplayer for 14 years.

Mindful of the need to attract star power, the Raiders made informal inquiries about Giteau's status via father Ron, a former Canberra captain, at the club's season launch last week.

"You guys can't afford him," Ron Giteau joked.

Meninga says the Raiders should have a big-money crack at Giteau regardless.

Giteau, who is an attacking dynamo, is unsigned for 2007 and mulling over offers from Australian rugby's four provinces.

"Canberra need to chase quality players from either league or union," Meninga, who played 166 first grade games for the Raiders, said.

"It would be a smart move to go after Matt Giteau.

"He'd be a big success in league. He played his junior football at Canberra, so the transition would be easy.

"I'd be curious to see how he'd handle it week to week, but I have no doubts he has the talent to make it in the NRL."

Whether Giteau, 23, is prepared to make the switch is another matter.

He would have to consider a pay cut of around $200,000 a season to return to the Raiders, with whom he played junior representative league.

Throw in the rugby World Cup next year and the chances of him defecting are close to minimal.

"We'd love to have Matt Giteau," Canberra chairman John McIntyre said.

"He's a Canberra boy and exactly the type of big-name player we are keen to sign.

"I had a yarn to Matt's dad at the Raiders launch. It was just informal stuff, but Ron said, 'you simply couldn't afford him'.

"I'm a realist. I know what these rugby blokes stand to earn.

"But we are very comfortable under the salary cap this year and we'll be out there aiming for the high-profile blokes."

Despite boasting one of the great club sides in the 1980s and '90s, the Raiders have struggled to attract top-level talent in recent times. Their last significant big-name purchase was former Manly maestro Phil Blake in 1992.

Raiders general manager Don Furner said the club is ready to wield the chequebook, starting with former Test centre Jamie Lyon, who will return to Australia next year after a successful stint with St Helens.

"We are conscious of getting a big name and we have a list of targets," Furner said.

"Traditionally, it's difficult to attract players.

"We are in a competitive market and Sydney clubs tend to have an advantage, which means we have to offer more.

"Jamie is one guy we are interested in. We're after a quality centre and we'll have the money to get one."

Meninga said the club's recruitment drive would be bolstered by the signing of a high-profile coach to replace Matt Elliott.

"The coach is an important issue for the Raiders," he said.

The Sunday Telegraph

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18432407-23214,00.html

Never going to happen but he would be one very high profile signing. Only problem is we have a number of good halves coming through which would mean either shifting them or letting them go.

Chachi

Bench
Yeah. Let's offer him truckloads of cash just before the Union world cup and do all our negotiations through the newspaper, so when he knocks us back we look like real idiots again.

Bad idea, bad timing, average player. I'll stick with Zilly at 5/8 thanks.

raidersforme

Juniors
Chachi said:
Yeah. Let's offer him truckloads of cash just before the Union world cup and do all our negotiations through the newspaper, so when he knocks us back we look like real idiots again.

Bad idea, bad timing, average player. I'll stick with Zilly at 5/8 thanks.

Exactly i think meninga should be a little less open with comments and look at our pl and debuts for this year there will be more debuts hopefully zilly soon we have a great side just needs experience with veterans steading ship we should have a great year don't need to try and out bid aru we can't just keep bringing through talent and KEEP THEM

Timbo

Staff member
Giteau can play in the centres pretty well also. Will never happen though.

paulquinn49

Bench
We already have plenty of halves and backs coming through, if we want to pay big money for a player, it might aswell be an established player in the same code.

The raiders can't afford him, he wants around $700,000 from the Brumbies. He never really was a star league player, i'd much rather his brother Justin, his a star of the future.

griff

Bench
The Brumbies aren't going to pay him anywhere near $700,000. Australian Super 14 teams pay a max of about $140,000. Throw in his Wallaby earnings and it would bring him up to $500,000 total from Brumbies and the Wallabies.

Even if he is a bit of a dud, Giteau playing for the Raiders would bring an extra 5,000 people through the gates every week, which would pay for his contract.

Send him an Origin jumper and a highlights DVD in the mail and get Andrew Johns to give him a call for a "chat" about how Origin is the most intense football in the world and to talk up the challenge and I reckon he would be a big chance of making a switch.

Even if he doesn't, an RL offer would bid up his asking price and force the ARU to pay more to keep him and would be good publicity for the Raiders and RL.

The ARU gets itself plenty of publicity by coming out with rumours all the time about star league players wanting to switch, time for RL to do the same.

Timbo said:
Giteau can play in the centres pretty well also. Will never happen though.

Giteau's defense would not be good enough to play centres in a 1st grade rugby league team. we would be mad to go after him.

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
giteau would be in the halves
quick , good footwork , passing and kicking game
id rather him stay in rugby though, they need him more

Edwahu

Bench
Yeah, lets spend 500k on a bloke who reached the heights of the SG Ball bench before he got cut and left the game because he knew he wasnt going to make it. Thats way better then spending 500k on backrowers or centers to complement the best crop of young halves we have had at the club in 15 years.

griff

Bench
I don't think he would necessarily be a superstar in the NRL. But I think a guy that plays 30 odd games for the Wallabies by the age of 23 is more than capable of holding his own.

He would easily be worth 500k because that would pay for itself many times over in increased sponsorship, Brumbies fans coming back to the Raiders, and publicity. Do you really think the Raiders would still have had so much trouble trying to find a sponsor if they had the hottest player in world rugby on their books?

The Canberra Times seems to devote several pages purely to Matt Giteau on a weekly basis. If you had to pay for this publicity it would cost a lot more than 500k.

It is like the ARU signing Wendell Sailor. On the field he is ok, but not great. But the amount of publicity they got out of him paid for his contract 10 times over.

Hayabusa

Juniors
griff said:
Do you really think the Raiders would still have had so much trouble trying to find a sponsor if they had the hottest player in world rugby on their books?

They're signing Dan Carter? (just kidding)

I do agree on profile positives it would bring to the Raiders though.