What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Orford eyes Manly return

zombie jesus

Staff member
Matt Orford eyes Manly return
EXCLUSIVE by Josh Massoud
May 29, 2010 12:00AM

FORMER Dally M medallist Matt Orford is eyeing a shock return to the NRL as he battles homesickness in the gloomy north of England.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Orford's manager George Mimis yesterday left Sydney for the UK to meet the veteran half, who quit Manly midway through the pre-season to take up a rich contract with Super League giants Bradford Bulls.

Orford, however, has struggled to adjust to life away from the Northern Beaches over the first six months of his three-year deal and is understood to be close to asking Bradford for a release on compassionate grounds.

And in a further twist, it can be revealed Mimis has already made preliminary contact with a handful of NRL clubs - including the Sea Eagles.

The shock development came on a busy day for rugby league overseas.

In other news:

* FORMER Bulldogs bad boy Sonny Bill Williams returned to Sydney a free agent after fulfilling his commitments with French rugby club Toulon. Williams' immediate sights, however, are set on his second pro boxing bout on the undercard of Anthony Mundine's expected comeback in Brisbane on June 30.

* KEVIN Walters became the third Australian coach in as many years to quit the Super League. Walters will join Nathan Brown and Mick Potter on the plane back to Australia at the end of this year after declining to activate his option for 2011 with Catalans Dragons.

Contacted yesterday as he was preparing to depart for England, Mimis was tight-lipped about Orford's immediate future but did confirm he would visit the 32-year-old over the next week.

"Matt is contracted to Bradford for another three years and he's still in that settling-in stage," Mimis said.

"Suffice to say, I've heard the same rumours you're suggesting."

After leading Manly to the 2008 premiership, Orford was widely expected to see out his career at Brookvale and even began pre-season training with Manly. But when the club only offered him a modest one-year contract, with another year's option in his favour, Orford opted for the big payout at Bradford.

Leaving home, however, was difficult given Orford was in the middle of building a house for his parents on the Central Coast. Friends also describe Orford as a "loyal Central Coast boy" who simply isn't cut out for life away from home.

The early link to Manly comes as the Sea Eagles battle to keep Orford's replacement, Trent Hodkinson, at the club. The rookie half, who made his representative debut for City after just eight NRL appearances, is weighing up a three-year offer from the Bulldogs believed to be worth in excess of $200,000 a season.

Having signed Jamie Lyon, Anthony Watmough, Glenn Stewart and Keiran Foran to long-term deals, Manly face an uphill battle to match Canterbury's offer and also keep off-contract stars Steve Matai and Tony Williams. Another option for Orford lies further up the F3 in Newcastle.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...yes-manly-return/story-e6frexnr-1225872748924

If I was eating some Corn Flakes when I read this, I would have choked on them.

No no no no no!

cupid

Juniors
It never stated that Manly wanted him, it just said his manager contacted the club.Josh Massoud is just trying to create headlines.

32 with a 3 year lucrative deal ahead of him. Just cant see this happening.

Thats a major retrograde step to re-enter the NRL which will have some expensive names from the storm on the market for next year.

Just who is going to have the money & offer 2+ years contract?

SRB_SEA_EAGLE

Juniors
I couldn't believe it when i read it....either tele beat up regarding any manly connection , or , worse case scenario , we lose Hodkinson ,and decide to sign Orford for 2011/12, on reduced terms as the back up plan......With Perry going ( most likely ) and another of either Kite , Matai i'd have thought there'd be enough to be able offer hodkindon enough to keep him happy at brookie , without even having to entertain the thought/nightmare of Orford...Ballin would have attracted a bonus for playing SOO also.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
We haven't recruited a big name in ages. We picked up Galuvao, Rodney, Cross and Seu Seu. Most of those a fringe players imho. They have all played well for us though. But they haven't really been stand outs. I think Rodney had 1 awesome game.

If we lose Kite, I think we need to find another prop. What's happened to Kite. Since we won the GF (and his Dad died) he seems to lack that spark he had in 08.

I still think Matai is a huge loss even with Whare.

Orford would be a backward step imo.

zombie jesus

Staff member
I think Kite has got his form back this year, he's making more metres than Perry, King and Cross and his play the balls are usually quick.

Daddycool

Juniors
Matt coming back to Manly.... Cue; rolling up into the fetal position and repeating over and over, "please don't let it be so, please don't let it be so, please don't let it be so etc........

Matty was great for us in 2006-8 but last year, he held us back. He has a terrific deal in the UK where he's earning more than he could here.

If I could, I'd tell him to find a nice English girl to keep him warm and enjoy living & working abroad for the next few years. By the time he comes home, he'll have enough to retire on and could afford to put his feet up if he wants. Or if the Bears make it back on the Central Coast, another year or two in first grade as a swansong....

But a return to the Sea Eagles... absolutely not.

Last edited: