What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Rogers is a f**k

Moffo

Referee
Pardon the french

Read this......

Email this report
Print this report
Subscribe to Sportsmail

Rogers urges league raids
September 8, 2004

WALLABIES fullback and former rugby league star Mat Rogers believes "heaps" of players from his old code could successfully switch to the 15-a-side game as the hunt for recruits for Australia's new professional team begins.

Australian Rugby Union officials this week made no secret they regarded rugby league as a potential recruitment pool to help fill the spots on the new team for the Super 14 competition scheduled to commence in 2006.

The ARU launched a series of successful raids on the rival code in the lead-up to the last rugby World Cup, snaring high quality outside backs, Wendell Sailor, Lote Tuqiri and Rogers.

The flow of top-notch converts to rugby slowed this year, though top league playmakers Andrew Johns and Braith Anasta were both linked to union.

Asked if he thought other league players had the potential to change codes Rogers said: "There's a heap of them.

"Any of the outside backs could switch over comfortably and any of the five-eighths and any of the halfbacks."

Rogers said he couldn't see why league players would not regard switching to union as a "great opportunity" to come over and play a game that is genuinely international.

"Rugby league isn't breaking any records as far as the way the game is going, they are not expanding and they're staying pretty much how they are.

"I think rugby (union) is certainly a viable option for a lot of the boys playing rugby league."

Sidelined by an ankle injury since the early stages of the Super 12, Rogers will return to action this weekend in a Sydney club game.

It represents his only opportunity to play a competition game prior to the selection of the Wallabies squad for the upcoming northern hemisphere tour.

"I'm certainly not going to go out there and try to be the star, I'm just going to go out there and do the job and do the basics.

"He (Wallabies coach Eddie Jones) wasn't worried too much about the fact I haven't played. He understands I've been playing football since I was four-years-old and not much changes.

"It's pretty much like riding a bike, it's just a matter of getting your hands on the ball enough.

"I've got no match fitness so after five minutes or so I'm really going to be blowing, but that's rugby and contact sports, beat the hell out of each other and struggle to breathe after about 10 minutes."

But Rogers stressed he had built up his general conditioning over the last month.

"I've been doing a lot of bike riding, a lot of boxing and a bit of swimming and plenty of strength work in the gym," he said.

"There's not shortness of a fitness base behind me, it's just match fitness."

AAP

How much of a turd has this guy turned into???? Dirty mouthpiece for a dirty bunch of bastards......

Cheers,
Moffo

Chook

First Grade
Good ole Matt, polishing the knobs of his new masters.

Can't Yawnion grow their own talent?

Pack of leather patch wearing androtops!

I hate that f**king game.

Chook.

Azkatro

First Grade
It's always nice to see things like this give more weight to a forum sevens article you wrote in the past :p

Doesn't say much for Union, when our guys can just walk straight in over there. How many Wallabies would be able to make an NRL team (apart from the league converts)... ziltch. The real challenge is becoming a league legend.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
"Rugby league isn't breaking any records as far as the way the game is going, they are not expanding and they're staying pretty much how they are.

good point, apart from the fact that weve pretty much already broken our crowd average record

Special K

Coach
Its a shame that when he told the ARU he was going back to pop at the sharks they x3 their first offer.. That might have been about something different #-o

Surely

Post Whore
Man_of_Steel_1982 said:
Doesn't say much for Union, when our guys can just walk straight in over there. How many Wallabies would be able to make an NRL team (apart from the league converts)... ziltch. The real challenge is becoming a league legend.

Ummm thats a pretty lame remark, are you saying Mortlock, Roff, Rathbone, Latham, Gregan etc ... wouldn't make an NRL team..

You've been wanking as much as rogers !

As for the twit that thinks souths would beat the wallabies in both codes... what crack in the ground did u just crawl out of ?

Corbin

Juniors
yeh but u cant blame some players who go over it is more internationaly opened up and "bigger" and also the money is a lot better because of the low salay cap nrl has... common matty isnt that bad a guy...

Corbin

Juniors
haha and off course the Wallabies would be able to go well in vs teams in the nrl the back line is the same and the foward pack is a lot bigger AND CAN PACK A SCRUM ha ha

Anonymous

Juniors
Corbin said:
haha and off course the Wallabies would be able to go well in vs teams in the nrl the back line is the same and the foward pack is a lot bigger AND CAN PACK A SCRUM ha ha

Can't argue with that one :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kris_man

Bench
the big fat union forwards wouldn't be able to cope with running up and back 10 metres each set (i credit Warren Ryan with this theory). so what if they can pack a scrum? if i ever want to watch a bunch of blokes stick their heaps up each other's arses i'll watch union. til then, its league.

KFC

Juniors
Union is a disgrace.

The fact that Sailor, Tuquri and Rogers waltzed into the National side is a disgrace.

The Union made 40 odd million dollars from the WC and still they have no better plan than to buy league players.

Useless.

t-ba

Post Whore
Wallabies that could make NRL squads...

Matt Gitteau
Lote Tuqiri
Mark Gerrard

Now, what do these three have in common? :lol:

Latest posts