What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Utai

simon says

First Grade
Im must admit I find it deepl ironic that people who supported and loved blokes like Dallas Donelley and Blocker Roach only want players who are squeaky clean.

Blokes like these two were the heart and soul of their respective sides,and were no choir boys either.........

simon says

First Grade
Im must admit I find it deepl ironic that people who supported and loved blokes like Dallas Donelley and Blocker Roach only want players who are squeaky clean.

Blokes like these two were the heart and soul of their respective sides,and were no choir boys either.........

Once Dead

Bench
simon says said:

Different era, things like that don't fly anymore, haven't for about 10years

Snide the Tiger

Juniors
We're not talking about a bit of biff and on-field shenanigans a'la Block and Dallas simon!!

The best clubs have always fostered good citizens - and we don't any more need scumbags at our young club!!

simon says

First Grade
Yeah.....we only want the men of the noblest minds.With the finest qualities of virtue and morality.

Are we recruiting for a footy team????
Or a monastery?????

PS......I remember people telling me last year that we shouldnt go after Eric Grothe as he has "personal problems". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

innsaneink

Referee
Give it up Simon.....its becoming laughable....

Monastery.. :lol: :lol:

It was well known the Grothe Jnr didnt know what he wanted to do....whether it was play footy, pluck his geetar, or search for the meaning of life.

Utai's a grub....he may be a good footy player but we've had our share of sh!t at this club....MU would be a step back....there are penty of other decent players running round that arent angels, but they aint complete lowlifes either.

Next you'll want us to sign tricky trindall and maybe john elias as some sort of a runner. :lol:

Gus22

Juniors
Signing Matt Utai would be like letting your kids have a sleep-over at Michael Jackson's house.

simon says

First Grade
You blokes are pulling your tiny wee wee'sif you think that we wouldnt want to sign Utai.We tried to sign him last year and he said no thanks.

Now the Dogs are treating him like garbage he will be lookin for a new home,especially if they re-sign El Masri.I dont think they can keep both.

I wonder if successful teams dont buy talented(but troubled)players under the condition that they smarten up.Walker's goin pretty good(on the field)for the Roosters,Grothe is killing it for Parra....I could go on.

When we are good enough we will be able to pick and choose players we can say no to,on moral grounds.When you are crap you take what you can get.Or stay in the cellar forever.Utai is in the top 5 wingers in the comp,at top close to the best.Any team not intersted in signing him would not be acting in the best interest of their club and supporters IMHO.

Cheers.

Gus22

Juniors
simon says said:
You blokes are pulling your tiny wee wee'sif you think that we wouldnt want to sign Utai.We tried to sign him last year and he said no thanks.

Now the Dogs are treating him like garbage he will be lookin for a new home,especially if they re-sign El Masri.I dont think they can keep both.

I wonder if successful teams dont buy talented(but troubled)players under the condition that they smarten up.Walker's goin pretty good(on the field)for the Roosters,Grothe is killing it for Parra....I could go on.

When we are good enough we will be able to pick and choose players we can say no to,on moral grounds.When you are crap you take what you can get.Or stay in the cellar forever.Utai is in the top 5 wingers in the comp,at top close to the best.Any team not intersted in signing him would not be acting in the best interest of their club and supporters IMHO.

Cheers.

Beggars cant be chooser - point taken.
You might consider taking a risk on a class player in a key position, but Utai is only a winger. Any antics/atrocities could destabilize the team or turn away would-be sponsors thereby jeopardizing the funds needed for future recruitment & retaining players.

simon says

First Grade
And you make a fair point Gus.We dont want blokes who bring trouble.

But we do want is marque players.I think the poeition we are in that we could only get a troubled marque player,as we arent high enough on the food chain to get a Johns/Orford etc......

Ill take a troubled Mason and Utai any day.Put those two blokes in our team and we are lookin bloody good IMHO.

Hodgson
Utai
Elford
Fitzy
Richards
Bunji
Prince
Sattler
Mason
Laffranchi
Skandy
Farah
Payten

Now tell me that side does not look like top 8 material.Couple of players is all we need.

Gus22

Juniors
simon says said:
But we do want is marque players.I think the poeition we are in that we could only get a troubled marque player,as we arent high enough on the food chain to get a Johns/Orford etc......

I agree acouple of players is all we need right now, but in key positions (half, backrow, prop). I don't think wingers should be a priority at the moment.

As for Johns, I reckon Newcastle may not be prepared to keep him "at all costs" given Kurt Gidleys performances at 7 so far & Johns' injury history. If he demands big big bucks I can see the Knights reluctanly letting him go, as they did with Matt Johns. If Union don't go hard for him I can really see him signing for another NRL team.

Image Marshall learning the ropes first hand from Joey for a couple of years - how good a halfback could he be? I think if there is any chance Johns dosn't sign with the Knights then we should throw the kitchen sink at him in an effort to get him.

innsaneink

Referee
Joey....how much has he played in the last few seasons??/
as brilliant as he is....I think hes a risk as well. I think his better days are behind him. Hes not getting any younger...his injuries are now becoming chronic ones. I know its impossible to tell what'll happen in the future, but weve just pissed orf a spectator on mega-$$$$$....dont want another one.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
I can remember when Utai 2yrs ago was off contract and nearly everyone on all the forums was saying how good it would be to have him at the Wests Tigers - but as the saying goes things can change in a week of rugby league not to mention over 2yrs.

The kid has great talent but in saying that he has been warned numerous amounts of times and if your really think simon that the reason for Utai being demoted is because of players performing better than he is then think again - some of the things I have heard would put Hoppa to shame!

If I were you, I'd try and make an offer for Joel Monaghan... you know, the same Joel Monaghan who's going to kill Covell on Sunday afternoon. :D

Although he said that he wants to stay with the Raiders because we're building up to something special in the coming years... pity the same can't be said about you guys. :lol: :lol: :lol:

simon says

First Grade
I Bleed Green said:
If I were you, I'd try and make an offer for Joel Monaghan... you know, the same Joel Monaghan who's going to kill Covell on Sunday afternoon. :D

Although he said that he wants to stay with the Raiders because we're building up to something special in the coming years... pity the same can't be said about you guys. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ive always been a Monagham fan.....but gee he went missing in defense last week,and I have noticed that he comes in sometimes when he should stay on his man.

Ball in hand he is tops,but defensively Covell will give him nightmares.....straight ovver the top of him LuKe.... :lol: :lol:

simon says said:
I Bleed Green said:

Ive always been a Monagham fan.....but gee he went missing in defense last week,and I have noticed that he comes in sometimes when he should stay on his man.

Ball in hand he is tops,but defensively Covell will give him nightmares.....straight ovver the top of him LuKe.... :lol: :lol:

At times I'll agree with you. But mainly it's not his fault. Mogg is usually the one who comes in too early, leaving Monas high and dry to cover 2 men. You're pretty much screwed when you're in that position.

Latest posts