What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Utai

Redback71

First Grade
i know its been mentioned before but what do u think of him maybe playing for the eels next year.

on sports tonight last night they said his been linked with the eels for next season.

i wouldnt mind ryan cross though

Phillips

Referee
Utai would be our best signing in the last 10 yrs

i hope we get him and i would'nt mind Paul Whatuira either

Stagger eel

Staff member
I wouldn't go as far as saying he will be the best signing in 10 years, but his definitely a quality player who would add something to our lacklustre backline,

And as mentioned before Cross, Whatuera, El Masri, Orford, Head, Phil Graeme, Monohan, Tahu and Gidley who are all OF CONTRACT at the end of the year will add quite alot in their own individual way, especially in our current side.

Has anyone also heard that apparently Smith told someone after an inteview on an FM station over the weekend that we will be targeting 4 of St George's young guns who are off contract. He was also seen at Win stadium when they played Canterbury the week before.

The Colonel

Immortal
Haven't heard but I assume that they would be looking at Hornby, Kite, Young and Head from the Dragons. Quality players and definitely worty pick ups. Would be the first time in a while we had picked up someone from the Dragons that was decent *(aside from Stapo of course)

Stagger eel

Staff member
Colonel Eel said:
Haven't heard but I assume that they would be looking at Hornby, Kite, Young and Head from the Dragons. Quality players and definitely worty pick ups. Would be the first time in a while we had picked up someone from the Dragons that was decent *(aside from Stapo of course)

I think you'll find that 3 out of the 4 you've mentioned arel still under contract with Saints. Head and Creigh are off contract! I don't know who else.

The Colonel

Immortal
Kite and Young are both definitely off contract this year as is Riddell and Creagh. I am pretty sure that Hornby is as well.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Colonel Eel said:
Kite and Young are both definitely off contract this year as is Riddell and Creagh. I am pretty sure that Hornby is as well.

OK!!

If that is the case saints are going to struggle big time to tie them all up!! and yes I would take any of 4 any day of the week.

Phillips

Referee
please no more saint george players.....the ones off conract are all shit #-o
the only player from saints i wouldn't mind seeing at the eels is Henry Perenara

Stagger eel

Staff member
Phillips said:
please no more saint george players.....the ones off conract are all sh*t #-o
the only player from saints i wouldn't mind seeing at the eels is Henry Perenara

I think that has to be one of the most riduculous comments I have ever seen on this board.

H**E**L**L**O!!!!!!!!

those blokes mentioned are either playing tonight!! or gave us footballing lesson last friday night!!

seek help!!! please!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

The Colonel

Immortal
Perenara? Has struggled with injury for a while. You mean to tell me you wouldn't sign Matt Head, Brent Kite, Dean Young, Ben Hornby or Mark Riddell - Phillips? :?

Three of those five carved us up the other night.......

Phillips

Referee
i wouldn't sign Kite, Young, Hornby or Riddell because i dont think they are as good as some people say they are, but Matt Head is a good player but we have Thorman and Witt who are much better, i would rather we sign quality players such as Glenn Morrison, Paul Whatuira, Adam Woolnough, Phil Graham.......etc etc

The Colonel

Immortal
I'm not being rude here Phillips but I think your ideas on quality are different to mine. Graham can't get out of reserve grade at Canberra and they are struggling to put points on the board - his defence leaves a lot to be desired apparently thouggh he has been playing at 5/8 for them in Prems? :?

I agree with Woolnough as he would be a good prop alongside Cannings. Morrison is a class player however I don't see us chasing him as he plays a similar role to that of Hindmarsh. Whatuira - he is good defensively but doesn't offer much in attack though he did score a good try the other night from dummy half. I think there are better centres around like Joel Monaghan who have the upside of age on their side as well.

Defensively - I'd look at Dean Young as he would take a mountain of pressure off of Hindy...

Parraren

Bench
I've been saying for a while we should go after Riddell. He definitely won't be a Dragon next year. Johhny Morris just doesn't offer enough thrust from dummy half and as good as little Webster is, I just can't see us winning a premiership with him as our no. 1 dummy half. Morris needs to go back to 5/8th and we should go after Riddell as our hooker IMHO. He is a genuine tackle buster and almost impossible to stop close to the try line.

bradeel

Juniors
I don't know about anyone else here but i don't know why we would consider Mathew Head whilst we already have young halfback talents at the club like Mick Witt, Chris Thorman, and this Tim Smith that everyone keeps mentioning.

Head was a decent young talent, but exhibited nothing special at all in his few chances in 1st grade until last friday night when our defense decided to go to sleep late in the game and let the Dragons run away with a game they had already won.

As for Perenara, i have no major dramas with him as a player, but surely he is more the same sort of player that we get accused of purchasing every year. Honest, decent worker, but nothing special. There are plenty of players like him at the club already.

Parraren

Bench
Too true bradeel. Head or even Orford for that matter seem like illogical purchases if we're serious about developing the young talent we currently have in the halves. We need to strengthen our outside backs and look for a top notch hooker IMHO. Agree on Perenara, we have about 5 too many of those type players already in the squad. We need to go after top quality or nothing at all.

I'd love to see Glenn Morrison in the No. 13 too. I've got massive admiration for his style of player. Aggressive in defense and attack. Another Hindmarsh type player for strength, determination and consistency. A good value player too because he's yet to be picked for the blues despite being good enough. A wonderful player IMHO. But will Wagon ever be displaced from the No.13 under Smith? Me thinks never.

HAVEFAITHBOYS

Juniors
yeah thats all nice and however much id love to see all these players at our club theres that little thing called the salary cap!! ](*,)

its nice to dream but if we were to buy anyone it only be 1-2 of those top names up there and i dont see anyone coming to parra with tension within the ranks without us paying a lot of money

rekon go for the baby eels idea and get some exp in there like sattler does at tigers....riko?? roosters are letting him go... and he wouldnt be asking for a lot and he has a ton of state and test exp... witt would flourish under his guidence

eloquentEEL

First Grade
I wouldn't touch Dean Young... he gives away too many niggling penalties... we can certainly do without another one of those

damo72

Juniors
Ricketson won't leave the Roosters even if they don't resign him as he will stick around in some sort of capacity as he prides himself on being a one team career player. Glenn Morrison I have to agree with, Riddell is supposebly heading to the Roosters with Wing moving to 5/8 to accomodate him. Not sure about these players contract obligations but I think players like Carl Webb, Clinton Toopi, Daniel Abraham, Frank Pritchard, and even Paul Franze who doesn't seem to be given the opportunity at the Sharks could be a fill in back to cover for injury or even start given his form warranted it. But I think the future of Parramatta has to come down to their up and comers, let them loose for the rest of this season and see which players are up to it and recruit to fill the needs and dismiss the surplus. If Dykes isn't resigned there is a huge amount of money freed up to get some actual first grade players and not the rejects from clubs below us.

Latest posts