What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matthew Bowen Stays a Cowboy

Roo

Juniors
May 4th, 2005
BOWEN TO STAY IN NORTH QUEENSLAND
In an historic announcement for the North Queensland Toyota Cowboys Chairman Laurence
Lancini today announced that fullback Matt Bowen would remain at the club for at least the
next 3 years.
"The Board and Management are delighted that Matt has chosen to continue his playing career with the North Queensland Toyota Cowboys".
"Matt is a sensational footballer, a tremendous role model for young North Queenslanders and has chosen to continue his career with us."
"With Matthew having played in the NRL, for Queensland and for Australia it sends a clear message to young players that you can remain in North Queensland and play our great game at the highest level." Lancini said.
Matt has been at the Toyota Cowboys for his entire first grade career and is one of the first players to come through the development system at the club. "I feel my football has improved a lot under the present coaching staff and I want to see it improve even further".
"There are still a number of goals I have set for myself here at the Toyota Cowboys" Matt said.
Head Coach Graham Murray believes retaining Matt is an important step for the club. "Matt has outstanding talent and it is great that he has resigned, we see his retention as a vital component in establishing this club as a force in the National Rugby League competition".
Bowen, 23, who was born at Cairns grew up at Hopevale and played his junior league at Souths in Townsville, has agreed to terms with the NQ Toyota Cowboys for the next three years. Matt started his association with the Cowboys as a scholarship player and has played 5 games for Queensland at State of origin level and also represented Australia on the last trination tour.

Standing 175cms tall and weighing 78kgs Matt has played 90 first grade matches for the Cowboys in his career scoring 202 points at first grade level. Matt made his first grade debut against Brisbane on February 17 2001.

freeridermx

Juniors
how good is danny weilder and his stories . bowen and murray trouble in the camp he has no idea at all .
great news i was pretty sure he wasnt going to leave so thats great to hear. good work.

Jordan

Juniors
Great news.. Hopefully the Cowboy's didn't give him an outrageously high amount of money though after all the pressure the fans have put them under to keep him with the club. I really want to the Cowboy's to be able to retain Southern, Jensen, Sheppard, Sargeant and a few others this year.. It will be interesting to see what happens with those players...