What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matthew Lodge

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Yeah, Robinson can get a lot of things wrong but don't think he was at all wrong about that family.

Interesting that Lodge has no desire to be a leader, that should be a red flag for any team that isn't Melbourne or Penrith. Mind you, so should the 4 broken contracts and the assault charge, plus the shitty family. But just like the broken down girl who sticks by the bad boy, thinking she can change him...

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
There is only one loser from the Lodge affair.
The Warriors.
Lodge is a loser.

Incidentally, when are we going to buy more decent props? We have AFB, Bunty goes OK (although I think he benefits from cult hero status), Pene ain't it, Tohu should never be a middle, and BMM doesn't seem to ever get on the park.

Rich102

Staff member
We would be very lucky to sign a decent prop. In fact a decent anything.

Scott

Bench
I'm intrigued to see where Niukore ends up playing. He could play middle, edge or centre. He is as effective in any role. It may be that he ends up where the team needs him each week, rather than him nailing down a certain position.

Props are very old school. Some of you fellas need to get your head around middle/ruck forwards & edge forwards as opposed to prop & second row. The game has changed. Yes, you still need a big presence in the middle but the main yardage guys now are wingers & fullback, not middle forwards.

Rich102

Staff member
Sorry. Just can't get enthusiastic about the Warriors at the moment.
Seen some great footy lately and realise we are miles off.
And as long as we don't complain nothing will happen.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Lodge is a loser.

Incidentally, when are we going to buy more decent props? We have AFB, Bunty goes OK (although I think he benefits from cult hero status), Pene ain't it, Tohu should never be a middle, and BMM doesn't seem to ever get on the park.
Pene and BMM have been pretty disappointing hey. I have to say I kind of expected Pene to become a bit of a forward leader for us, coming here from the Storm in search of more minutes and bigger role, but he can't even hold down a spot in the 17.

WellsNZ

Juniors
Marty Tapau might be an option?

I'll take Taupau if it's a dirt cheap "we're throwing you a lifeline to stay in the NRL" deal and not a "hurr durr he played for the Kiwis and was real good years ago have 800k".

TheDMC

Bench
I'll take Taupau if it's a dirt cheap "we're throwing you a lifeline to stay in the NRL" deal and not a "hurr durr he played for the Kiwis and was real good years ago have 800k".
Yep, risk of an Adam Blair scenario, but worth a punt. He looked good for Manly last weekend, though I wasn't watching very closely.

jaseg

Juniors
BMM was fine when playing wide - but necessity has pushed him inside far too often, and he's missed a lot of games on top of that.

Pene is an odd one. I get the feeling we're just using him wrong. Not that he'd be some star player - but a solid enough #4 in the rotation at least.

Yeah Taupau at a not silly price would be nice. Probably a pipe dream.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Pene and BMM have been pretty disappointing hey. I have to say I kind of expected Pene to become a bit of a forward leader for us, coming here from the Storm in search of more minutes and bigger role, but he can't even hold down a spot in the 17.
I feel like BMM has potential if he could stay on the park, but he can't.

Pene, to me, just seems too small. Isn't a ball player, just doesn't seem to offer anything.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Taupau has been very patchy, I still like the bloke but he cops an absolute pasting on the Manly forums and they want him gone now, has developed a tendency to produce 1 coach killer a game and they are big ones lol

last I heard he didn’t have any offers coming his way at all so he might have to take whatever offer he can get

Blair

Coach

a rare redemptive ray in the Lodge story
What a shame 'Lodgy' was a general rotter. Off the field he had some good things about him and he could play.

Meth

Staff member
We certainly miss him on the field. He played a pretty blistering cameo for the Roosters the other night.

Rich102

Staff member
He was just what we needed most.
With more astute management he could have still been with us and our good ethics could still be working on him.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
He was just what we needed most.
With more astute management he could have still been with us and our good ethics could still be working on him.
Not sure about that. He's now flagged on four clubs in four contracts, so it's not like we're the Lone Ranger. He left because he refused to fulfill a contract without his brother in law and father in law. I'm not a fan of the cockatoo owner but I think he got rid of POS for fair reason, and SOS offered little to us...so I don't see how we would've kept Lodge. Someone with his lack of moral fibre was never coming to NZ.
Let's not pretend that anyone who holds a young family hostage and threatens to kill them has any level of ethics, even if he can manage to reveal some in a pre-scripted media release.
Playing talent wise yeah, he's exactly what we need. But that's never enough. We probably more than anyone else need good people, and he ain't it.

Latest posts