What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matty Johns F2F

Perth Red

Post Whore
Anyone watch it? Leaving aside my dislike of Vlandys and his embarrassing answers for a supposed national game, I thought it was pretty poor. Johns looked out of his depth. awkward, overwhelmed and the questions were all very benign. Maybe it will get better when he interviews ex players and its more blokey blokey?

Saw it. Was disappointed tbh. His podcast was outstanding, this first episode was a waste of a good opportunity with PVL. Like a poor comedian who goes for the common smut to try and get a laugh, the majority of questioning was just lowbrow cheap shot stuff.

Hope it improves, otherwise it’ll only be down to “The Fan” as far as fox shows I enjoy watching..

mozza91

Coach
Nice to see a Rugby League person calling out Fumbleball for what it is.

As an arrogant overtly racist code it normally gets nothing but blind praise in the media but it was nice to see PVL get something back for a code that is actually inclusive and features proper athletes.

Mark B

Juniors
Red you got to get over Vlad and his anti Perth team thoughts. Keep following the Storm. If they started a Perth team The Broncos would fail to exist. But I do agree, Matt John’s is terrible. Has his odd moment but as a whole is pretty talentless at his media gig. Not to dissimilar to his playing career.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Red you got to get over Vlad and his anti Perth team thoughts. Keep following the Storm. If they started a Perth team The Broncos would fail to exist. But I do agree, Matt John’s is terrible. Has his odd moment but as a whole is pretty talentless at his media gig. Not to dissimilar to his playing career.

It’s his anti RL outside of nsw and qlnd I have a problem with, not just perth. It smacks of point scoring for his day job which is very much a nsw racing v Victoria racing battle. He seems to be using league to keep this battle in the media. Also his hiding of information by which the commission can be judged by the stakeholders, this years annual report was devoid of data.
On the plus side he is a strong leader which is exactly what the game needed in a moment of crisis. He smacks of Winston Churchill, great leader in A war, poor in peace. I’d like to have seen him questioned about the future of the game, not just his dislike of afl and melbourne!

Mark B

Juniors
It’s his anti RL outside of nsw and qlnd I have a problem with, not just perth. It smacks of point scoring for his day job which is very much a nsw racing v Victoria racing battle. He seems to be using league to keep this battle in the media. Also his hiding of information by which the commission can be judged by the stakeholders, this years annual report was devoid of data.
On the plus side he is a strong leader which is exactly what the game needed in a moment of crisis. He smacks of Winston Churchill, great leader in A war, poor in peace. I’d like to have seen him questioned about the future of the game, not just his dislike of afl and melbourne!
Red, you have to stop making good arguments. That my Western friend is a good reply!

Summing up I am not the Matty Johns fan I used to be.Take it from there.

I’m heading the same way...

The post-game MJ shows used to have a great mix of serious discussion and light hearted stuff, with some quality comedy. It’s now seemingly the same recycled formula... take the piss out of Hindmarsh etc... and they are doing all the stuff the footy show did years ago... eg surfing lessons, let’s wax our chests... its stale and out of ideas. Needs a new host or two. I lost interest this season..

the MJ Podcast was brilliant I thought. Insights n stories of the game as a fan you wouldn’t otherwise know. Let’s you in like if you were a player amongst players at the pub chatting away.. they should have kept this on.

He’s not off to a great start with the interview show IMO as I mentioned above. The PVL interview was like an opportunity to chat with bill gates, but all you do is tell him fart jokes.

The Aura is sadly slipping away.

King hit

Coach
CCD4D874-3704-465B-AFE5-A7AD7A87E790.gif

Mark B

Juniors
I don’t agree with a lot that Red states. Personally I would like to see a Perth team than that fourth Qld team the Melbourne Storm exist. A lot is Made of Bellamy and his coaching ability but that club has been poaching the best of the Qld junior systems for years. In all their existence they have produced that dude Founa with the worlds worst mullet and he was hardly a superstar. One local junior in over 20 years in a state and city that does not give a rats about rugby league.

flippikat

Bench
I’d like to have seen him questioned about the future of the game, not just his dislike of afl and melbourne!

The key question to ask any CEO is "where do you see the business in 10 years time?"

THAT is what someone needs to ask him.. just long enough to peer over the horizon - may be a bit beyond his tenure, but whoever follows him will Ideally be building off his foundations, if not following the blueprint he's set.

taipan

Referee
The key question to ask any CEO is "where do you see the business in 10 years time?"

THAT is what someone needs to ask him.. just long enough to peer over the horizon - may be a bit beyond his tenure, but whoever follows him will Ideally be building off his foundations, if not following the blueprint he's set.

Before COVID I guess a stack of businesses were confident.
I guess before these damn frightening floods there was a lot of optimism.
It's becoming hard to look ahead more than 5 years these days, and that's why TV deals don't go 10 IMO.
Look at social media platforms in teh USA ,they are now facing competition from ups and coming new ones, that may well draw in 10s of millions.