1. Grand Final Edition OUT NOW:

The 2020 NRL & NRLW Grand Final edition of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and match programme for Sunday's Grand Final Day! Also includes Super League Round 17 and 18 squads.

The Grand Final edition brings you special stories from each camp - Paul Jobber chats with Panthers legend Scott Sattler recounts his famous moment in the sides 2003 title win and looks to the current crop of Penrith players; while Rob Crosby looks at Josh Addo-Carr as he laces up for what could be his final Storm game. Rick Edgerton has a Clive Churchill Medal guide, while Joshua Wells speaks to Brisbane NRLW star Millie Boyle as the Broncos cruise toward a Women's threepeat on Sunday.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - the programme for both Grand Final Day matches along with teamlists and details for Rounds 17 and 18 of the Super League - and you have one fantastic 32-page magazine for your Grand Final reading!

EDITION 22 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

McGregor. One of the boys?

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by Tuddy, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Tuddy

Tuddy Juniors

So I noticed that McGregor accidentally referred to himself as a player rather than the coach when he was making his 'not perfect but real' speech. This got me thinking that maybe this is the guys biggest issue. Maybe he hasn't mentally switched over to being a coach and he still sees himself as one of the boys/players.

It would explain why he has issues dropping players and it would also explain why we've only seen the juniors get a run when injuries have given him no other choice. If you still see yourself as part of the team, you're going to have issues drawing that line between you and them, because effectively there isn't a line at all. That makes it really hard to cut someone when they are consistently under performing.

It may also explain the support he's been shown recently by players, they're far more likely to do this if they see him as one of their own. Sure it creates loyalty, but I'm pretty sure they're loyal to Bellamy down there in Mexico and I'd be shocked if this was an issue with that guy.

Looking at some of the other coaches like Hasler and Toovey, you'd have to say they've made the adjustment far better and some would argue they've been more successful as a result.

Geoffsaintjohn and deansykes like this.
  2. dino2170

dino2170 Juniors

nah he just cannot coach

BringTheNoise likes this.
  3. Tuddy

Tuddy Juniors

Yeah, there is that little chestnut as well.

4. watatank

watatank Coach

There's probably an element of that...his previous job appointments point to that. Returning to the club a season after retiring as strength and conditioning trainer, all those positions with the NSW team. After Bennett brought his own staff in, McGregor didn't take a position at another club, he tried his hand at head coaching, won a few local A-Grade comps and used that to work his way back to the NRL via the NSW Cup team.

That all said, I just think the main issue is that he just isn't good enough to be a head coach and whatever he has in place is wearing thin.

Tuddy likes this.
  5. 2010

2010 Bench

He doesn't have the respect of the players, including the captain, that is obvious by the post match interview and the players going public about how they like him as a coach, that in itself thinks there is major disharmony in the club

6. Tuddy

Tuddy Juniors

Yep.I think I was off the mark there where I said that was his biggest issue. I stand corrected.

7. since77

since77 Juniors

He can't be one of the boys if he's coaching them to play like little girls.

Tuddy and OzDragon like this.