What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mcintyre System sucks

d-a-z-z-a

Juniors
The Mcintyre system is stupid. One week the Raiders are playing for a chance at the top2 and the next week they are neally knocked out of the competition.

The NRL teams are getting so much closer and the quality in teams between 1-8 is alot closer than it used to be. Hence my arguement that a team that can finish 3wins ahead of another is a big achievement and thus needs a lil more accolaids that a pat on the back and a match, where they can be eliminated if they lose.

Another inconsistancy is that had the entire top 4 won their matches we'd be stitting here in the exact same situation with the Raiders v WArriors and storm v Dogs. I meen wots up with that.

I pity the storm as well. THe poor guys Beat the Raiders, now they have to face the 3rd ranked team and if they win that play the 2nd Ranked team, WHile the Raiders who lost to them play the Warriors the 6th places team and if they win that the Panthers who are nothign compared to the Roosters. Good on the Raiders for losing i think they lost it on purpose:p jk

and totaly contradictory to my last comment
the Raiders finished Equal 3rd and neally got ko'ed from da comp, and the storm who finished 5th nealyl get the week off and end up oen game short of a GF.

To make the top 4 of this comp is bloody hard and teams should be given a bigger advantage and not face elimination if they lose.

Punk

Juniors
The Mcintyre system is stupid. One week the Raiders are playing for a chance at the top2 and the next week they are neally knocked out of the competition.

To start off with, don't take offence to this post.

The Premiership season and the Finals series are totally different.
The Premiership season is over, the Panthers were the winner.
Now all the top teams have been placed into the finals series to determine a winner out of the top performers. All the Premiership season does is give them an initial ranking in the new series.

Under a different system, the losers would have already been kicked out.
But the Raiders have been 'rewarded' for their performance during the premiership season and given a second chance.
The Storm are rewarded for winning by playing a team which lost dismally last week.
Had the Warriors and Storm lost, it would be only fair that the they play a team that won last week for the right to stay in the finals.

You don't make it fair by making a winning team play another winning team (as they had both proven themselves the week before), or even a losing team play a losing team for the right to stay in (because then the winners aren't able to play the losers for a greater chance of survival).
You make it fair by making a losing team play a winning team for the right to remain.

Had the Bulldogs and the Raiders won, they would both get a chance to play the losing teams. A reward for winning, they have a greater chance of survival by playing an already beaten team. The losing teams, the Storm and the Warriors would have one more chance to prove themselves.

But the Warriors and the Storm won, so they play the losing teams, a reward for winning. They now have a greater chance of survival by playing an already beaten team.

If the Broncos won, they would have remained and the Raiders would have bowed out. You find it unfair? In what way? A winning team can remain and the next lowest ranking losing team is removed? No, thats just being fair. As said before, this is an entirely new series, only linked to the Premiership season via initial rankings. The very same rankings that saved your team.

The easiest way to rectify the problem some people believe exists is to draft less teams into the finals series, e.g. 6 teams instead of 8.

Tuffnell

Juniors
Punk said:
The easiest way to rectify the problem some people believe exists is to draft less teams into the finals series, e.g. 6 teams instead of 8.

I don't agree with you.

Tha AFL's current top 8 system is by far a better model than the McIntyre system, which was discarded by the AFL a few years back because of the obvious inconsistencies.

Under the AFL top 8 system, the top 4 teams cannot be knocked out in the first week, as they play each other in a legitimate qualifying final, with the losers to play the winners from the elimination finals between 5v8 and 6v7.

The losers from those two matches are eliminated, a fair method that justly rewards a top 4 finish.

Another benefit of this system is that 6 clubs are guaranteed a home final, not 4, as is with the NRL system at the moment.

The AFL figured out that the McIntyre system was not completely fair for clubs and was causing headaches for the fans, so they scrapped it and replaced it with a better system.

Once again the NRL is lagging behind, while the AFL keeps pulling away. It's about time the NRL caught up. The top 8 is good, the McIntyre system is not.

:x

bender

Juniors
In fairness though, Melbourne beat Canberra which would have meant the end of their season under the old top 5. I think this would be fair they have had a great season but have failed to take the extra step. However, to me, a 5th placing would be far more rewarding than going out in the first or second playoff round, for the fans.

jed

First Grade
Tuffnell said:
Another benefit of this system is that 6 clubs are guaranteed a home final, not 4, as is with the NRL system at the moment.

This is not entirely accurate. In the AFL system, teams 1,2,5 & 6 are guaranteed a home final, similarly in the NRL version 1,2,3 & 4 get the home ground advantage. The difference from week 2 of the finals onwards is that the AFL continues to award home-ground advantage with the exception of the Grand Final, whereas the NRL plays the 1st & 2nd Semi and the 1st Preliminary at the SFS and the 2nd Preliminary and the Grand Final at Telstra Stadium. There is nothing in the actual McIntyre finals system that stops home ground advantage other than the NRL themselves.

Punk

Juniors
The system may not be the best, but some of the things being discussed as unfair are clearly not, which is frustrating.

Tuffnell, I was merely saying that it would be easier to restrict the number of teams in the finals while retaining the old system, than it would be to implement an entirely new system. Less people would whinge that way, because 2 fan supporter bases wouldn't even be there in the first place.

tank

Juniors
i disagree.
the nrl used to have the afl system at the same time that the afl had the mcintyre. the current afl one is much betta, the major plus being that it's not confusing for the people that matter most - fans. also, it gets rid of this crap where teams like the raiders, play the waiting game to see if they're still even alive!
Here is how week one would have lined up in afl system:

Pen v Canb @ Penrith
Syd v Cant @ Aussie
Melb v Bris @ Melbourne
NZ v New @ Auckland

Based on performances over the weekend, week two would be:

Canb v Melb @ Canberra
Cant v NZ @ Showground

Then, assuming Canb and NZ win these, week three:

Syd v Canb
Pen v NZ

Interesting to see that week two hosts same games as week one in the current system.

greeneyed

First Grade
I agree with those saying the current system is unfair and the AFL system would be fairer.... we win.. you lose! :lol: :lol:

Tuffnell

Juniors
jed said:
Tuffnell said:

This is not entirely accurate. In the AFL system, teams 1,2,5 & 6 are guaranteed a home final, similarly in the NRL version 1,2,3 & 4 get the home ground advantage. The difference from week 2 of the finals onwards is that the AFL continues to award home-ground advantage with the exception of the Grand Final, whereas the NRL plays the 1st & 2nd Semi and the 1st Preliminary at the SFS and the 2nd Preliminary and the Grand Final at Telstra Stadium. There is nothing in the actual McIntyre finals system that stops home ground advantage other than the NRL themselves.

You are correct about it being the NRL's decision not to play home semis further along than the first round.

I am correct though, when I say that 6 clubs in the AFL are guaranteed a home final, not 4. All top 4 teams get a home final - be it either the Qualifyer (1 and 2 positions), Semi final (if you are a top 4 loser), or Preliminary (if you are a top 4 winner from the qualifyers).

Plus 5 and 6 get the home qualifyer in the first week. ;-)