What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Meat smokers

Mong

Post Whore
Looking at getting into meat smoking, any of you merkins have any knowledge or tips of must do's must not do's, types of wood to use etc etc to share with a first timer?

Looking at getting a ProQ Excel 20 Elite BBQ Smoker V4 to start with and see how we go.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
If you want to dip your toes into the world of smoking without spending tons and going the whole hog with a wood fired unit, I'd recommend going a gas fired box smoker. Easy to operate and pretty cheap, I got mine at Aldi for $200, Bunnings have a similar model. A gas burner at the base provides heat and a tray of woodchips above it produced smoke. You top the chip tray up ever half hour or so for the first hour or two, which is when the smoke does its magic, then let the heat take care of the rest. Does perfect ribs every time, and I've done some great pulled pork with whole shoulders (that takes some serious time though).

Zadar

Juniors
If you want to dip your toes into the world of smoking without spending tons and going the whole hog with a wood fired unit, I'd recommend going a gas fired box smoker. Easy to operate and pretty cheap, I got mine at Aldi for $200, Bunnings have a similar model. A gas burner at the base provides heat and a tray of woodchips above it produced smoke. You top the chip tray up ever half hour or so for the first hour or two, which is when the smoke does its magic, then let the heat take care of the rest. Does perfect ribs every time, and I've done some great pulled pork with whole shoulders (that takes some serious time though).

have you done a brisket yet?
I love the look of the black crust, and then the smoke ring and juicy meat.

I haven’t got a smoker, and only ever done ribs in the oven, then grilled with my tangy sauce On top, would love to do the smoker thing, but always talk myself it of it.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

I haven’t got a smoker, and only ever done ribs in the oven, then grilled with my tangy sauce On top, would love to do the smoker thing, but always talk myself it of it.

Yep, though haven't managed to get a brisket 100% perfect yet. Perfect brisket is basically the holy grail of smoked meat, haha. But damn, when you eat it its worth it!

Looking at getting into meat smoking, any of you merkins have any knowledge or tips of must do's must not do's, types of wood to use etc etc to share with a first timer?

I was gonna suggest sending you down to a few bars on Oxford street to "meat" up and work through your questions with some of Sydneys experts in the craft.

But then I read this...

Looking at getting a ProQ Excel 20 Elite BBQ Smoker V4 to start with and see how we go.

And alas, i've got absolutely no suggestions to offer here, sorry.

Parra

Referee
I ended up going with the ProQ Excel 20. It's a lot bigger than i was thinking it would be. Going to be able to have some fun with it :)

Great smoker and I like the versatility of multiple sections.

Can you post your tangy sauce recipe please?

Zadar

Juniors
Can you post your tangy sauce recipe please?

the amounts of the ingredients vary for your own taste which you can adjust for the heat and tang.

lightly fry a couple bulbs of garlic and a small shallot til golden,

I then pretty much empty a whole tomato sauce into the saucepan and about 60-80ml apple cider vinegar, 1/4 cup of brown sugar and a squeeze of honey, teaspoon of Dijon mustard and a few squirts of Worcestershire sauce.

i have some liquid smoke I bought at the markets which I add a little of, because it can overpower it if you put too much, but most of the time I leave it out cos the wife doesn’t like the artificial flavour of it.

Salt and pepper

cayenne pepper and chilli powder, add depending on how much heat you like,

and then I squeeze a whole orange into it and let it simmer for about 15-20min

you can tinker with it the more times you make it, until you get the right amount of tang and heat you like(This is a combination of about 4 different recipes I tried), I put the leftover in a glass bottle, and it sits in the fridge well for quite a while.

the amounts of the ingredients vary for your own taste which you can adjust for the heat and tang.

lightly fry a couple bulbs of garlic and a small shallot til golden,

I then pretty much empty a whole tomato sauce into the saucepan and about 60-80ml apple cider vinegar, 1/4 cup of brown sugar and a squeeze of honey, teaspoon of Dijon mustard and a few squirts of Worcestershire sauce.

i have some liquid smoke I bought at the markets which I add a little of, because it can overpower it if you put too much, but most of the time I leave it out cos the wife doesn’t like the artificial flavour of it.

Salt and pepper

cayenne pepper and chilli powder, add depending on how much heat you like,

and then I squeeze a whole orange into it and let it simmer for about 15-20min

you can tinker with it the more times you make it, until you get the right amount of tang and heat you like(This is a combination of about 4 different recipes I tried), I put the leftover in a glass bottle, and it sits in the fridge well for quite a while.

That’s very impressive and I’m going to have a crack at it on a steak or two.

Thanks a lot!

abpanther

Staff member
I ended up going with the ProQ Excel 20. It's a lot bigger than i was thinking it would be. Going to be able to have some fun with it :)

Curious to hear how you've found it mate as I'm also looking at buying a smoker?

Mong

Post Whore
Curious to hear how you've found it mate as I'm also looking at buying a smoker?

It has been great, I think I made the right choice for what I needed starting out. Getting the temp right and keeping the fluctuations under control has come with practice. I find for most meats I don’t use water in the water pan or I struggle to get the higher temps going but I leave the pan in there and put alfoil over it to make it easier to clean. I use lump charcoal as fuel as opposed to the briquettes.

It’s a decent size unit and fits a fair bit of meat in if required. It converts great to a bbq/grill as well.

Would 100% recommend.

Parra

Referee
It has been great, I think I made the right choice for what I needed starting out. Getting the temp right and keeping the fluctuations under control has come with practice. I find for most meats I don’t use water in the water pan or I struggle to get the higher temps going but I leave the pan in there and put alfoil over it to make it easier to clean. I use lump charcoal as fuel as opposed to the briquettes.

It’s a decent size unit and fits a fair bit of meat in if required. It converts great to a bbq/grill as well.

Would 100% recommend.

What temp are you aiming at? If I don't use water in the WSM the temp goes through the roof. Using lump as well, which is significantly hotter than heat beads or briquettes. I can get it to sit at 225F without too much fuss with a full pan. For a rib cook it's about topping up the pan for me & leaving the fire alone.

Mong

Post Whore
What temp are you aiming at? If I don't use water in the WSM the temp goes through the roof. Using lump as well, which is significantly hotter than heat beads or briquettes. I can get it to sit at 225F without too much fuss with a full pan. For a rib cook it's about topping up the pan for me & leaving the fire alone.

Been doing a fair bit at 250 - 275. When i used the water pan i struggled to get it much more than 200. Particularly with the chicken variations i have done I want to get it to a high temp particularly towards the end to try and improve that skin.

I will try it again at some stage though, still learning how it all works.

Have watched a fair bit on you tube re smoking. There is one guy who has a show called "How to BBQ right". I have done a few things from that which have been simply delicious. He likes to cook at high temps hence me mostly doing that. (although not using a bullet water smoker)

He looks like he has eaten a rib or two in his time so he must know what he is doing, right? :)

Parra

Referee
Makes sense for chicken and learning fire control and the nuances of your bbq is all part of the fun. 'Big bbq guys' come with the territory don't they. All that meat is one thing, then there's the wonderful sides