What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mediocrity rules-especially in telegraph writers

Mediocrity rules-I'm going on a Tiger hunt
By Christian Nicolussi
Daily Telegraph Friday October 7 2005

The sooner Wests Tigers bandwagon rolls out of town the better.
Slap a big fine on the wagon when it double parks in one of Balmain or Leichhardt's tight one way streets. Or roll the wagon down the M5, dump it in a creek bed and torch it.

Round the pathetic lot up with their black and orange streamers and make them watch re-runs of the 1989 grand final, when Balmain were belted by Canberra in extra time. That same year the mighty Western Suburbs Magpies started contemplating expanding their junior base to Johannesburg after finishing at the wrong end of the ladder yet again.

Sydney has sadly embraced the Tigers in a whirlwind week that smacked of mediocrity.

Maybe sports fans were in need of a pick-me-up after Ricky Ponting's men failed to return with the Ashes. Maybe Sydneysiders wanted to keep the party going after the Swannies took out the AFL title a week earlier.

Once the real Grand Final contenders, Parramatta and St George-Illawarra, bowed out of the race, footy fans were desperate. A state of confusion swept across the Harbor City. How were people going to spend their Sunday night watching a grand final with two teams nobody liked? What happened to the Eels and Dragons? Should we or shouldn't we have a barbecue? Should we tune into Australian Idol?

Enter Benji Marshall, Scott Prince, Brett Hodgson and the rest of the Tigers players nobody will remember this time next year. Their win captured the imagination. Sports journalists described the Grand Final victory as a "fairytale ending". "The Unlikely Premiers". A better headline would have been "Never Again" or "Thank God We Didn't Play Parra".

They spoke about a ticker-tape parade. Then came the special-edition postage stamps. All this for a side that finished fourth at the end of the season. The same side that beat a team in the Grand Final that finished even worse on the ladder. The same side that was backed at an outrageous 150-1 midway through the year. The same side that gave me nightmares at the back end of the season when they kept winning and, as a result, ruined my chances of winning the office tipping competition. I'm now stuck with a set of golf clubs I bought with the money I thought I'd eventually pocket when at one stage six games clear with four rounds to go.

For the sake of the argument, I'm a Parramatta fan. I've been waiting for a premiership since 1986. I'm sick of the Tigers. I'm sick of the blow-ins.
Will a Tigers victory do wonders for the NRL? No. Will the Tigers defend their title next year? No. They say a leopard never changes its spots. If only the same applied to Tigers supporters. Get lost.

I am just speechless at the pathetic deranged ranting in this article, I would like to congratulate the 2005 premiers along with all the REAL Parramatta fans, as for the writer if this is how you support the eels get away from my team you twisted bitter little turd.

P.S. letters@dailytelegraph.com.au
Go for your lives

Smartman

Juniors
What a Fekking tool!

Im neither a supporter of both teams but the tigers deserved the premiership.

Bloody squeels supporter!

Smartman

Juniors
Hes a long suffering eels supporter.

Probably choked on something after writing that dribble
icon6.gif

Slappy

Juniors
This is an absolute outrage that sh*t like that can get printed in a newspaper!
This is just a venomous attempt to undermine a club that this nobody has utter contempt for!
The worst part of this sorry debacle is that an editor actually checked it and deemed it fit for printing. At first I thought it may turn out to be one of those smart-arse tongue in cheek articles that wasn't really an insult, but the further I read the more I realised that this was pure bile!

This guy is a taint-licker! no doubt about it!

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Please don't think all Parramatta fans are this stupid. The Tigers deserve the premiership, this goose has no clue.

It's idiots like him that give the group a bad name unfortunately.

Slappy said:
This is an absolute outrage that sh*t like that can get printed in a newspaper!
This is just a venomous attempt to undermine a club that this nobody has utter contempt for!
The worst part of this sorry debacle is that an editor actually checked it and deemed it fit for printing. At first I thought it may turn out to be one of those smart-arse tongue in cheek articles that wasn't really an insult, but the further I read the more I realised that this was pure bile!

This guy is a taint-licker! no doubt about it!

if I was the editor he would have been told to get that sh*t off my desk and go write something worth printing the club should sue it's a lawyers dream

NZ Magpie

Juniors

innsaneink

Referee
magpiemax said:
Yeah.....but look at all the publicity he is getting,he is loving it!!

I dunno Max...a few threads on a couple of league forums.... cant see him being on the front page anytime soon.

As a racing writer, I think he may have let his emotions get in the way of his career, Im guessin he lost a packet and is talkin thru his kick.

Dogaholic

First Grade
Rf**k the swans and f**k ponting! This dude is a tool. Whilst the Tiger supporters are strapped up, might as well boot the 88' GF in there too.

Back to the topic...how the f**k can an article like that get published in Sydney?

TigerPJM

Juniors
I think you have all missed the point, this was written in a very toungue in cheek and is very much a back handed compliment to the Tigers, while also highlighting the Eels deficiencies. I thought it was quitre funny. And yes, I've followed the Tigers my whole life.

innsaneink

Referee
TigerPJM said:
I think you have all missed the point, this was written in a very toungue in cheek and is very much a back handed compliment to the Tigers, while also highlighting the Eels deficiencies. I thought it was quitre funny. And yes, I've followed the Tigers my whole life.

I think his tirade goes on just a little too long for it to be t-i-c or mere sarcasm.

If it is hes gone overboard, he should stick to the gee gees anyway, they cant read.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Smartman said:
Hes a long suffering eels supporter.

Probably choked on something after writing that dribble
icon6.gif

if you look further into the forum us Parra fans dedicated a thread to congratulate Tigers supporters...was yours phuckwitt????

if you want to tarnish us with the same brush as the moron who wrote the article maybe you should refrain from violently assulting passengers from trains after each home game.

phucken criminal!!!

King Tigerman

Juniors
TigerPJM said:

if it was a joke NOBODYS LAUGHING