What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Memo Gus Gould from Parramatta - Go to hell!!!!

Thankls roosters for all those juniors you have produced, just want more money to spend, i notice that you asked for the slary cap to be increased, how about the other 14 teams ask that you must have minimum 100 junior teams or you dont qualify to be in the NRL, and any team the plays in the French colors well that says it all

Just a few quick points from Gould's article.

Comments by Alan Katzmann

"Jason Cayless has gone on to play Test football after being unwanted at Parramatta”

I was under the impression the we always wanted to keep Jason, I though Smith said at the coach's forum that he was dissappointed to lose him to the Roosters. He was not unwanted!

“The Roosters, since the appointment of Phil Gould in late 1994, have put in place development programs which are now the envy of many of its rivals”

Could someone please provide me with how the Roosters have faired in the Flegg, SG Ball and Harold Matthews comps since 94', or provide me with a link to see these results?

Comments by Phil Gould

"The salary cap in its current form punishes success. It provides no incentive for development of junior talent. It does not reward those clubs with the ability to develop representative-class players”

The cap has been the same way for 5 years, and for the first time in a long while the Roosters have produced a squad that have numerous rep players. Why did they not challenge the cap on this when other clubs were losing rep players who had risen through the Juniour ranks of that respective club?

Jic Jarrett

Juniors
The Roosters have brought the code into disrepute and deserve to be punished for it. If not punished, how can it be justified that the Bull(scum)dogs be punished for rorting the cap.................fair is fair.

You didnt see the Roosters saying to the NRL when the bulldogs exceeded the cap, lets increase the cap, no they wait till that club losers players and now say we need cap lifted, typical looking out for themselves

The Backpacker

Juniors
sydneysharkbrisbane68 said:
You didnt see the Roosters saying to the NRL when the bulldogs exceeded the cap, lets increase the cap, no they wait till that club losers players and now say we need cap lifted, typical looking out for themselves

I ignored the first comment you made as I thought you had just typed too fast in your excitement of being able to follow on from everyone else but now I realise you're just plain stupid. Heres a little piece of information, I give it to you for free despite probably shooting myself in the foot because of it - this is not the first year that the Roosters have wanted the salary cap increased, so it blows your well thought out theory into the abyss of section 13.

Illegal Immigrant - If other clubs were losing players then it was up to them, not the Roosters, to do something about it if they saw fit - which they didn't. As for Jason Cayless, I was under the impression after researching a fair bit of information for an article on the Cayless brothers that Jason did not fit into Smith's plans and he actually made some comments regarding this. Hindsights a wonderful thing, I guess. On the lower grade teams - I can't be bothered looking it up at present but if you do a search, you will find what you're looking for.

The Backpacker said:

I ignored the first comment you made as I thought you had just typed too fast in your excitement of being able to follow on from everyone else but now I realise you're just plain stupid. Heres a little piece of information, I give it to you for free despite probably shooting myself in the foot because of it - this is not the first year that the Roosters have wanted the salary cap increased, so it blows your well thought out theory into the abyss of section 13.

Illegal Immigrant - If other clubs were losing players then it was up to them, not the Roosters, to do something about it if they saw fit - which they didn't. As for Jason Cayless, I was under the impression after researching a fair bit of information for an article on the Cayless brothers that Jason did not fit into Smith's plans and he actually made some comments regarding this. Hindsights a wonderful thing, I guess. On the lower grade teams - I can't be bothered looking it up at present but if you do a search, you will find what you're looking for.

Jason Cayless was unwanted at Parramatta. The Eels let him and Robinson go and took Widders and Russo from us. Smith saying he wanted a more mobile side with creative backrowers. Hence they took David Solomona the year before. They would still have cayless if they didn't take Solomona.

Jason Cayless was unwanted at Parramatta. The Eels let him and Robinson go and took Widders and Russo from us. Smith saying he wanted a more mobile side with creative backrowers. Hence they took David Solomona the year before. They would still have cayless if they didn't take Solomona.

Cheers, I am sure we made an offer to Jason but anyways......If you guys believe increasing the cap will make our game better then good luck. I just don't want to comp to consist of 6 or 8 teams that can remain finacially viable.

I think that teams that have the ability to produce quality junior's should be rewarded for what they are giving back to game. Hence my dismay at what was written in Goulds article. I believe that my club does more for junior development than Easts.

I am dissapointed we didn't have it this year, but for the past couple of years we have had Eels on Wheels and the QLD development days when we play the Broncos (I know it was already mentioned). Could someone advise what Easts or Sydney have done to assist in the development of young talent outside their area. (Cash injections to Redcliffe don't count :D sorry couldn't resist)

As for the standings of the junior comps I will be very surprised if you have won many at all, which for a club that "has put in development programs which are now the envy of many of its rivals" kinda blows that theory out of the water.

ozzie

Bench
Illegal Immigrant said:
Just a few quick points from Gould's article.

Comments by Alan Katzmann

"Jason Cayless has gone on to play Test football after being unwanted at Parramatta”

I was under the impression the we always wanted to keep Jason, I though Smith said at the coach's forum that he was dissappointed to lose him to the Roosters. He was not unwanted!

“The Roosters, since the appointment of Phil Gould in late 1994, have put in place development programs which are now the envy of many of its rivals”

Could someone please provide me with how the Roosters have faired in the Flegg, SG Ball and Harold Matthews comps since 94', or provide me with a link to see these results?

Comments by Phil Gould

"The salary cap in its current form punishes success. It provides no incentive for development of junior talent. It does not reward those clubs with the ability to develop representative-class players”

The cap has been the same way for 5 years, and for the first time in a long while the Roosters have produced a squad that have numerous rep players. Why did they not challenge the cap on this when other clubs were losing rep players who had risen through the Juniour ranks of that respective club?

they won the Jersey Flegg in 2002 - and have supplied a steady stream of first grade palyers like Croker, Cross, Michellino, Flannery, Lomu, Byrne, Shllington, and others which isn't too bad - sure some clubs which have a bigger junior base than use will win more - pure mathematical...but our feeder club Redcliffe is now also providing us with great young juniors for our development squad..the results which will be seen in the up coming years.

now as you are aware as a player reaches the representative stage his price goes up - this forces outher players out or the rep player - for example Fletcher - who did not want to leave but sheer money problems meant he had to be released...

Illegal Immigrant said:

?[/b]

They have won Jersey Flegg in 1995 and 2002
They have won SG Ball in 1997

Jic Jarrett

Juniors
Funny though, Jersey Flegg 2002, players like Crocker (not croker), Lomu, Flannery aint even from Sydney, let alone NSW

Jic Jarrett said:
Funny though, Jersey Flegg 2002, players like Crocker (not croker), Lomu, Flannery aint even from Sydney, let alone NSW

I think you'll find Lomu is and he had been at the Roosters since 1995.

Flannery and Crocker are part of Redcliffe and came to the Roosters as junior development players.

Anthony Minichiello is another who has been there for years.

BUt you asked what our result were though.

Let's take Parra for instance.

In 2001

Cayless brothers NZ
Lyon Wee Waa
Hindmarsh boys country

The list goes on. But they were all bought down to Parramatta by Noel Cleal to play for Parra juniors and be graded.

Are you insinuating that Country and QLD players aren't allowed to come to Sydney to play in the NRL. Sure sounds that way.

Misty Bee

First Grade

Credit where credit's due. When Mortimer trolled for abolishment of thye cap last year, the Chooks were right beside them.

Fibroman

First Grade
There's nothing wrong with bringing young talent from the bush or inter-state to the big smoke. But there is something special about a kid playing his junior footy in the one area and being able to play out their careers for their local club. There needs to be concessions to the cap in respect to loyalty from a player to a club.

The cap needs to be increased the same as wages according to the CPI, housing prices etc, but it needs an overhaul, not just a dollar increase to accomodate a team like the rorters.

I don't think any one club should have exclusive pickings either from a ' feeder ' club/area. It should be open slather. Make the talent scouts and development officers earn their dollars. Give them a 4 cylinder car and make them look around a bit more for talent. Just an opinion.

ozzie

Bench
fibro man said:
There's nothing wrong with bringing young talent from the bush or inter-state to the big smoke. But there is something special about a kid playing his junior footy in the one area and being able to play out their careers for their local club. There needs to be concessions to the cap in respect to loyalty from a player to a club.

The cap needs to be increased the same as wages according to the CPI, housing prices etc, but it needs an overhaul, not just a dollar increase to accomodate a team like the rorters.

I don't think any one club should have exclusive pickings either from a ' feeder ' club/area. It should be open slather. Make the talent scouts and development officers earn their dollars. Give them a 4 cylinder car and make them look around a bit more for talent. Just an opinion.

actually i agree with you fibroman -its been my biggest beef with Canberra development officers - they think the area finishes at one end of Canberra and starts the the other end..they are never seen in a little town 60 klms away and Goulburns now going down the gurgler too...yeah great recruitment...

I like the look of Rose who is a Bathurst Junior and you guys have the hide to call him a Penrith Junior (not necessaryily you) - where does your boundary stop??? Broken Hill??

Renowned League Expert said:
Most of these clubs, including Parramatta, have just shat because they've realised what we've always known -- that they're talkers and not doers.

The Roosters, on the other hand, go out and get things DONE.

That's the bottom line.
Youve trotted this crap out in a number of discussions so here it is-
YOUVE WON ONE PREMIERSHIP IN 25 YEARS!!!!!
The broncos wield more influence!
the dogs wield more influence
Youve come up with 1 idea that was supposed to be a working document and wasnt set in stone but look at all the crap its caused
The idea wasnt a good one and you cant defend it
1 premireship in 25 and you go out and get things done....PFFT!

66 days until.....Bet hegarty is the first to go