What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michael Brown appointed RLWC2017 CEO

Burns

First Grade
Brown will take up the role in mid-July, giving him more than two years to help plan and deliver a tournament that will be hosted jointly by Australia and New Zealand in the autumn of 2017.
Brown has more than 20 years' experience in the sporting sector, most recently as chief executive of the Asian Football Confederation's 2015 Asian Cup, while he has also been general manager of cricket at Cricket Australia.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ru...Michael-Brown-takes-charge.html#ixzz3csj7mN8r
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Huge news, incredible appointment.

hutch

First Grade
Great news, just hope he remembers that NZ are co hosting. I really hope they get some massive games and possibly final or semi final.

taipan

Referee
It shows the code means business this time around.Cue that union dipstick Peter FitzSimons et al to jump on it ,with the usual snide & sarcastic comments.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Amazing they are even appointing anyone. I'm sure in the past they just sent a few emails to the participating leagues and hoped people would show up.

Whoever came up with the idea for a travelling world cup over several years and several countries back in the day should be hung, drawn and quartered. Seriously, what the hell were they thinking?

deal.with.it

Juniors
It'll only be another few years for fitzsimmons to chime in with any snide remarks, because europe and the pacific are knocking. Poor bastard will have to enjoy watching int'l RL

Burns

First Grade
Can we get a website up and running???

Honestly, can we have that plus the beginning of a bidding process for games and registration to email updates for when tickets go on sale?

I really am ecstatic that we have Brown as CEO. Demonstrates that there is serious intent to market the RLWC to Australian/NZ/Pacific.

Evil Homer

Staff member
^ We're 2 and a half years away, this type of thing doesn't really need to happen for at least a year.

paulmac

Juniors
I'm not overwhelmed with his appointment,remember he is an AFL man and the Asian Cup had scheduling like Qatar v Bahrain at Homebush and no matches in Perth or Adelaide.

Rodney

Juniors
The Asian Cup was successful for what it was, but I seriously hope there were some outside constraints because there were some pretty seeming glaring errors in preparation, the event wasn't optimized at all.

South Korea didn't play in Sydney until the semis, despite having a huge expat population in Sydney.
Similarly Sydney has about half of Australia's Chinese population, no games.
The games seemed spread around randomly, which may have been a necessary part of the competition (random draw with venues set) but if it wasn't thats a pretty glaring flaw.

We had games like Uzbekistan vs North Korea in ANZ while Australia played Kuwait at the MRS.
They also only used one stadium per city, which was at the very least odd. Leaving Aus v Kuw in a 30k stadium while putting games like Oman v Bahrain in a 82k stadium.
They might've had a cap on stadiums but it does seem pretty odd imo.

I wish the guy all the best and hope that he gets it right but the organization of the Asian Cup dosen't seem to be that big of a selling point from an outsiders perspective.

Foreign quota

A CEO has finally been appointed to run the2017 Rugby League World Cup: former Cricket Australia chief*Michael Brown. One of his first tasks will be to select the World Cup venues and confirm the dates. The NRL’s International Development Manager, Tas Baitieri, told me that Papua New Guinea will definitely host at least two group games and, consequently, now qualify automatically as a host nation.

Whether they will be given a quarter-final remains to be seen but the 15,000 spectators packing out BSP Stadium in Port Moresby for the*PNG Hunters’ Super Cup game againstSouths Logan Magpies*last Saturday night won’t have done any harm. Baitieiri expects the Kiwis to play all of their games in New Zealand apart from possibly a semi-final or the final. The host city for the final is a three-way fight between Auckland, Brisbane and Sydney. Expect the two cities that miss out to be given the semi-finals instead.

It will continue rugby’s tendency for World Cups to be spread over several countries. The only Rugby League World Cup since 1972 to all be held in one country was 2008 in Australia. The 2013 edition was spread across four countries (England and Wales were joint hosts but they still gave games to France and Ireland). The shambolic RLWC in 2000 was spread so thinly across six nations that it had no chance of taking hold.

Brown and his colleagues will need to find a balance between sharing the event and ensuring there is enough interest – and sufficient investment to provoke that interest – in every host community. Major games in major cities, with smaller ones in league-loving communities, seems to be the formula.

Goal-line drop-out

In*a fascinating interview with Kevin Ferrie in Glasgow’s Herald newspaper*last week, new RLIF chief David Collier repeated his desire to introduce a second international tournament and also hinted that more teams would have to qualify for the 2021 World Cup. This makes sense. He mentioned cricket’s Champions Trophy as an example.

Something similar for league could see the Four Nations replaced by an expanded event with the world’s top six or eight nations playing in a tournament over four weekends (two groups and a final). It should work and could take place every two years, starting in 2018 or 2019.

Collier is also keen that more nations should play qualifiers for the World Cup, knowing that they help establish the RLWC brand commercially and should have saleable broadcast rights. I predict a compromise: the 2017 semi-finalists will qualify for 2021 (thus almost guaranteeing the three major crowd and TV-pulling nations) with the European Championships and Pacific Cups doubling up as well-marketed World Cup qualifying tournaments.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/no...wigan-warriors-super-league-rugby-london-2015

whall15

Coach
I'm not overwhelmed with his appointment,remember he is an AFL man and the Asian Cup had scheduling like Qatar v Bahrain at Homebush and no matches in Perth or Adelaide.

The Asian Cup was successful for what it was, but I seriously hope there were some outside constraints because there were some pretty seeming glaring errors in preparation, the event wasn't optimized at all.

South Korea didn't play in Sydney until the semis, despite having a huge expat population in Sydney.
Similarly Sydney has about half of Australia's Chinese population, no games.
The games seemed spread around randomly, which may have been a necessary part of the competition (random draw with venues set) but if it wasn't thats a pretty glaring flaw.

We had games like Uzbekistan vs North Korea in ANZ while Australia played Kuwait at the MRS.
They also only used one stadium per city, which was at the very least odd. Leaving Aus v Kuw in a 30k stadium while putting games like Oman v Bahrain in a 82k stadium.
They might've had a cap on stadiums but it does seem pretty odd imo.

I wish the guy all the best and hope that he gets it right but the organization of the Asian Cup dosen't seem to be that big of a selling point from an outsiders perspective.

All of these things are because of AFC requirements.