What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michael McGuire - Kiwis coach

Leber

Bench
The biggest issue I think is people chopping and changing. JT, Fus etc, have commited to Tonga, so they play for Tonga.

End of.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
The biggest issue I think is people chopping and changing. JT, Fus etc, have commited to Tonga, so they play for Tonga.

End of.
They now have the opportunity, should they choose, to return and play for New Zealand. That's the end of and that's all I'm saying and I actually hope they do come back.

Leber

Bench
You open up a big can of worms though when you allow blokes to chop and change fairly quickly.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
You open up a big can of worms though when you allow blokes to chop and change fairly quickly.
Unlike some...I totally understand yours and others point of view. I get that.

Some might see "a can of worms" as by having Taumalolo and other Tongan players leave us, TEACHES our young Tongan players to play for Tonga. I actually kind of predicted this early on, right here on our forum. When JT left us, I posted about implications including others following suit. A few days later, Fusitua and Mau left.

I'm concerned again about that happening in the future. Because no P.I players in the kiwis would be a real can of worms IMO.

Pity Ponga will play for Qld, who will chew him up and spit him out if the team loses a few series and another promising talent emerges.
Hold on that's NSW.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Tonga have a test against Oz potentially at the end of the season. If we have Tongan players signing up for the test in Denver rather than playing for nz around the same time against Oz where does that leave the Kiwis? Fifita is promoting they'll all sign up for Tonga for that test. Time to move on imo...pick players that are going to play for nz long term and be done with it.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
How committed is macguire to this Kiwis job ?

Will be interesting to see if he runs for the Storm role if the rumours are true and it comes up

sup42

Juniors
Clearly the appointment board (Bell, Betham and I forget who else) had a mandate from the review to select an inclusive coach rather than someone more Patriot centric like the last Coach.

They would have been given that Mandate by the findings of Castles review...surely...pick the best you can get your hands on.

I do not agree with it at all but I understand where they are coming from.

The sad thing if these guys come back, is that you know they will not have the passion they had for Tonga (punching holes in the Mt Smart dressing room walls after winning is pretty passionate) and losing that new life breathed into this sport is a Sad state of affairs.

At some point the Kiwis and the Kangaroos will be forced to look beyond self interest, one day there will be a generation of players with the drive to go all out...and more importantly stick with the Island teams.

So what if the big three start losing games to the Islanders. that is the whole point.

Up till now the whole thing has been a farce and a shameful organized poaching ring between the ANZACS.

Matua

Bench
Clearly the appointment board (Bell, Betham and I forget who else) had a mandate from the review to select an inclusive coach rather than someone more Patriot centric like the last Coach.

They would have been given that Mandate by the findings of Castles review...surely...pick the best you can get your hands on.

I do not agree with it at all but I understand where they are coming from.

The sad thing if these guys come back, is that you know they will not have the passion they had for Tonga (punching holes in the Mt Smart dressing room walls after winning is pretty passionate) and losing that new life breathed into this sport is a Sad state of affairs.

At some point the Kiwis and the Kangaroos will be forced to look beyond self interest, one day there will be a generation of players with the drive to go all out...and more importantly stick with the Island teams.

So what if the big three start losing games to the Islanders. that is the whole point.

Up till now the whole thing has been a farce and a shameful organized poaching ring between the ANZACS.
How is NZ picking NZers organised poaching?

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Mannering, Matulino and Packer have all retired from rep footy today

If all the defectors were Kidwells fault, are all these blokes packing it in because they hate Macguire ? :p

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade

If all the defectors were Kidwells fault, are all these blokes packing it in because they hate Macguire ? :p
They probably feel past it and maybe not too interested in the test. I also think Kidwell really damaged the team and its not just those names. Fusitua aint coming back and I heard Fonua-Blake could be leaving for Tonga.

TheDMC

Bench

Probably just can't be arsed flying to Denver mid season for a pointless match and think f**k this horribly run international scene.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Probably just can't be arsed flying to Denver mid season for a pointless match and think f**k this horribly run international scene.

I think there'll be a few that don't go to this test, at least this time around - and its nothing to do with McGuire. From all accounts he's a forthright, character-driven, boundaries-setting coach and is looking to be part of the re-building of the Kiwis. That won't happen in a one-off test in a new, faraway market.

And unless the Kiwis and/or Warriors can afford to send a conditioning/ recovery coach (like the Drags are for Gurgess) I wouldn't expect some key Warrior players to be given the green light by the club either.
Too many unknowns and too much impact on players and the club's progress in the comp for that to happen this time around I reckon, no matter how much some of them will want to go...

Time to test some depth, consolidate a good-sized squad of possibles and probables for the Oz test in NZ at the end of the year, with a likely squad picked for the England series. Long term view the build-up to the Kiwis winning the next World Cup. Only genuine Kiwi hopefuls need apply.

I think there'll be a few that don't go to this test, at least this time around - and its nothing to do with McGuire. From all accounts he's a forthright, character-driven, boundaries-setting coach and is looking to be part of the re-building of the Kiwis. That won't happen in a one-off test in a new, faraway market.

And unless the Kiwis and/or Warriors can afford to send a conditioning/ recovery coach (like the Drags are for Gurgess) I wouldn't expect some key Warrior players to be given the green light by the club either.
Too many unknowns and too much impact on players and the club's progress in the comp for that to happen this time around I reckon, no matter how much some of them will want to go...

Time to test some depth, consolidate a good-sized squad of possibles and probables for the Oz test in NZ at the end of the year, with a likely squad picked for the England series. Long term view the build-up to the Kiwis winning the next World Cup. Only genuine Kiwi hopefuls need apply.
Get Ponga before Qld does! :)

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Apparently at this stage we won't have a captain for this game, don't really understand the logistics of that but it's what I read this morning

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

Denver Test is locked in for 3 years someone said, and Packer can't play in it. So I guess that's part of his decision. Ben isn't the most motivated at the best of times so that's him, and Simon's body is at the point where he has to retire if he wants to play more club footy.

Apparently at this stage we won't have a captain for this game, don't really understand the logistics of that but it's what I read this morning

Adam Blair - such a rubbish Kiwis captain that they decided to not even have one the year after.

Why is Adam Blair picked anyway, he was atrocious at last year's World Cup and has been anonymous this year. There's about 20 better props and 15 better back rowers, and that's the ones who actually do want to play for us.

Packer wont be allowed into the US
And with a test series in the UK at the end of the season i doubt he will be allowed in there as well

Mighty Ape Man

Juniors
I just hope that f**kwit JWH is nowhere near our squad.

With that new rule interpretation to get rid of the cheap shots/late hits he shouldn't be on the field much anyway. Actually same goes for Blair. If he can't get that out of his game then he will be a big liability for the Warriors going forward

Latest posts