What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michael or Michel?

KiamaSaint

Coach
Hi most wise Dragons forum,

I am hoping someone can clear something up for me. Sorridimi, dragons winger in the late 70s, early 80s... is it Michael or Michel or both? I have seen it written both ways and was wondering if someone could help as I can't get a definitive answer.

Thanks in advance.

KiamaSaint

Coach
And the answer is???????
I think he worked at the Commonwealth Bank at Kogarah for a while?
Funny you could still have great players when they had jobs wonder why it all changed.
If you look everywhere it is commonly spelt "Michael" and if you search "Michel" Google will ask if you meant "Michael" but on his LinkedIn profile it is actually "Michel".

Drakon

Juniors
Was just looking around on Google and found this:-

In 1979 Sorridimi Won the Rugby League Squash Championships.He Beat Newtowns Ken Wilson in the Final.It was shown during World Of Sport on TCN Channel 9. (04/05/2012)

ALSGI

Bench
Zorro is actually a 2nd cousin, the spelling's Michel, and yes he worked at the old Commonwealth bank. No, I'm not Italian. Last time I saw him was at my uncles place in Rockdale when he first began playing FG, I always watched him in the juniors. Sadly that side of the family haven't seen each other for a long, long time. He was a good winger in good teams but had his share of mistakes in him.

1st & 10

Juniors
Hi most wise Dragons forum,

I am hoping someone can clear something up for me. Sorridimi, dragons winger in the late 70s, early 80s... is it Michael or Michel or both? I have seen it written both ways and was wondering if someone could help as I can't get a definitive answer.

Thanks in advance.

He also worked at Coles Hurstville parcel pick up for years. Great guy. Always called him Michael or Mitch

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
And the answer is???????
I think he worked at the Commonwealth Bank at Kogarah for a while?
Funny you could still have great players when they had jobs wonder why it all changed.
The reason the game changed OT was because player loyalty to clubs went out the door, pay TV , greedy players & their managers, the salary cap rorts etc etc...great players back then were brickie labourers, garbos, roof tilers plumbers saleman etc etc.....they used to get up Monday mornings and go to work.....now players get up go to their heated pools, massage, bubble baths and have their bums powdered......for some like our cricketers the more they earn the less they perform

Last edited:

1st & 10

Juniors
The reason the game changed OT was because player loyalty to clubs went out the door, pay TV , greedy players & their managers, the salary cap rorts etc etc...great players back then were brickie labourers, garbos, roof tilers plumbers saleman etc etc.....they used to get up Monday mornings and go to work.....now players get up go to their heated pools, massage, bubble baths and have their bums powdered......for some like our cricketers the more they earn the less they perform

Excellent post. That is why I have zero respect for current players. Hodgkinson was a true gentleman, but he is a serious minority

1st & 10

Juniors

Ian Herron was a drink delivery driver. Brad Mackay a fireman. Mitch Newton, Rod Silva, lee Odenryan, Shaun Hamstead, Ian Gately, Paul Simpkins all current cops

Craig Young (not a good cop), sironen Jarvis and Billy Johnston (another bad cop) were all cops. Craig Young took a year leave to coach saints

Old Timer

Coach
Ian Herron was a drink delivery driver. Brad Mackay a fireman. Mitch Newton, Rod Silva, lee Odenryan, Shaun Hamstead, Ian Gately, Paul Simpkins all current cops

Craig Young (not a good cop), sironen Jarvis and Billy Johnston (another bad cop) were all cops. Craig Young took a year leave to coach saints
A long long time ago in a far distant galaxy I played in the mid week public service comp at the Domain
It was a horror when you played the cops as there were plenty of grade players in their ranks
Funny how many cameo appearances were made by people like Bob Cooper and others coming back from injury

Latest posts