What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michael Phelps - the swimming sensation!

Blade

Juniors
Michael Phelps currently holds 5 gold and 2 bronze medals with one day left in the swimming competition.

The kid's a freak at only 19 years young; he's tied the Olympic record for the most individual swimming medals at an Olympic Games . . . . and he's not even done yet!

Phelps wins fifth gold of Olympics in 100 fly

ATHENS, Greece (AP) -- American Michael Phelps rallied in the last 25 meters to edge teammate Ian Crocker for Olympic gold in the 100-meter butterfly Friday night.

Phelps earned his fourth individual medal of the Athens Games, tying Mark Spitz's 32-year-old record for most individual swimming medals in one games.

FULL STORY

half

Coach
butterfly and medley medals shouldn't be counted imo. he's got nothing on thorpey

Razor

Coach
ALmost certain to get the 6th gold in the 4x100 medley. Phelps swam in the heats, but he has pulled out of the final to give Crocker a swim and a gold. If the US win Phelps still gets a medal.

butterfly and medley medals shouldn't be counted imo.

Why?

he's tied the Olympic record for the most individual swimming medals at an Olympic Games

And if the US get a medal (which will happen unless the get DQed) he will tie for the most medals by any sportsman at one Olympics(a gymnast from 1980 holds the record)

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I've gopt to say I was really impressed with his attitude when interviewed the other day, as I have been with all the other high profile swimmers. Phelps, Thorpey and Hoogs all seem like nice guys and good sports, which is great to see when you compare it to the egotistical BS that some of the track and field athletes like to spout.

brook

First Grade
SpaceMonkey said:
which is great to see when you compare it to the egotistical BS that some of the track and field athletes like to spout.

seen gary hall jnr carry on?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
brook said:
SpaceMonkey said:
which is great to see when you compare it to the egotistical BS that some of the track and field athletes like to spout.

Point taken actually, he's a typical Yank tosspot, but Phelps, Thorpey and Hoogs make up for it.
And how about that Polish girl winning gold on her third attempt after getting two silvers, then announcing that she would be auctioing her gold medal to raise money for kids with leukemia? Thats a real good showing of olympic spirit for mine.

brook

First Grade
SpaceMonkey said:
brook said:
SpaceMonkey said:

Point taken actually, he's a typical Yank tosspot, but Phelps, Thorpey and Hoogs make up for it.
And how about that Polish girl winning gold on her third attempt after getting two silvers, then announcing that she would be auctioing her gold medal to raise money for kids with leukemia? Thats a real good showing of olympic spirit for mine.

yeah I agree with you on the rest of them - all four should be proud of themselves

Booyah

Bench
Phelps is a freak - But he ain't got nothing on the Thorpedo :clap:.

You'd have to say that he, Thorpey and Hoogie are the best 3 swimmers in the world. An even scarier thought is that they're still all under 23 too.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
If he was a bit more humble, he may be likable

And dont get me started on Gary Hall Jnr, if you saw him in the 50m free, he came out dressed like a WCW wrestler

He was the one that came out with those famous words "we are gonna smash the Aussies like guitars"

luckily our relay team (in Sydney) had the last laugh.