What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mid year tests in 2022

Iamback

Coach
Why not both? The more tests the better, every time we play an international it raises the profile and gives the players opportunity to rep their countries. Why do you say it doesn't do much? Mid season is good for one off and end of season for tournaments. As the viewing figures showed ditching them for origin was a pointless exercise. We lost a test weekend and gained nothing.

NRL putting on test matches for content is a waste. Crowds and viewers were nothing special

Having an international window - like every other sport has. Allows these smaller countries to host games. Play for trophies etc is much better than an odd game here and there.

It allows them to actually make some money too

Perth Red

Post Whore
NRL putting on test matches for content is a waste. Crowds and viewers were nothing special

Having an international window - like every other sport has. Allows these smaller countries to host games. Play for trophies etc is much better than an odd game here and there.

It allows them to actually make some money too
sold out match in NZ, yeh waste of time! If PNG had been in Port Moresby as well that'd sold out. Putting the tests on in a shtty suburban Sydney ground hardly helps.
Like I said why not both? No one is suggesting we run one off tests instead of tournaments in Oct&Nov. Having two international windows in a year is better than one!

There is no reason to not to. It was done to appease Ch9, even though Sunday origin rates as well (or in this years case better!) than Wednesday origin.

Matua

Bench
Did NZRL get any money from the test?

I was told no
Did NZ players get to play for NZ? Yes. That's more important than who made the money or not (and frankly if NZRL were unable to make money from the test that's on them as an organisation.

Your posting on this thread reads like you're the marketing man for the NRL/ARCL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Did NZ players get to play for NZ? Yes. That's more important than who made the money or not (and frankly if NZRL were unable to make money from the test that's on them as an organisation.

Your posting on this thread reads like you're the marketing man for the NRL/ARCL.
He's a vlandys lover and can see no wrong in any decision the NRl make.
My understanding is the ARLC organised and underwrote the tests and took any revenue from them. Shame as would have been a nice earner for NZRL. More than the pittance they get from the NRL every year!

Iamback

Coach

Did PNG or Fiji?

What about England testing themselves against NZ?

It is alot more meaningful to have a solid window for internationals. Instead of Australia doing and funding it all.

That is what RU does right. Gets the season done than into tests

Iamback

Coach
He's a vlandys lover and can see no wrong in any decision the NRl make.
My understanding is the ARLC organised and underwrote the tests and took any revenue from them. Shame as would have been a nice earner for NZRL. More than the pittance they get from the NRL every year!

You see nothing wrong with those countries getting no money from it?

I want to see England play more tests. A window does that nothing to do with PVL at all

siv

First Grade
The 6 week 3rd weekend Oct to end if Nov

Is a no brainer

But you should look to soccer on how to address the club v country issue. There have worldwide nominated rep weekends in a year

So we need something similar

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I don't see what the problem is. Playing one-off tests in the middle of the season and origin doesn't do much for the international game.

The rumour is they will be replaced by a month-long tournament at the end of the season, similar to the oceanic cup.
How did Origin go at the end of the year?

Matua

Bench
Did PNG or Fiji?

What about England testing themselves against NZ?

It is alot more meaningful to have a solid window for internationals. Instead of Australia doing and funding it all.

That is what RU does right. Gets the season done than into tests
I agree, this can be one of your solid windows, it's a good time to do it as the club game is taking a back seat to origin, and then there can be another solid window at the end of the season.

This is what happens in RU - well in the SH, in the NH they play the 6 Nations when the club comp is on, in the SH it's Super, then internationals (window 1) with crossover of domestic games, domestic finish, then EOYTs (window 2).

Iamback

Coach
The 6 week 3rd weekend Oct to end if Nov

Is a no brainer

But you should look to soccer on how to address the club v country issue. There have worldwide nominated rep weekends in a year

So we need something similar

That is it

Lets NZ do TV deals for themselves.

Allows ESL guys to come and play for the likes of Fiji

Iamback

Coach
I agree, this can be one of your solid windows, it's a good time to do it as the club game is taking a back seat to origin, and then there can be another solid window at the end of the season.

This is what happens in RU - well in the SH, in the NH they play the 6 Nations when the club comp is on, in the SH it's Super, then internationals (window 1) with crossover of domestic games, domestic finish, then EOYTs (window 2).

Only 1 player came down from the ESL though. They stop for Challenge Cup Rounds not sure they pause the comp again for a window.

siv

First Grade
That is it

Lets NZ do TV deals for themselves.

Allows ESL guys to come and play for the likes of Fiji
But it would mean the IRL has to step up to the NRL

NRL has enough votes on the IRL to stop what they dont want

Cant see NZRL or Pacific nations crossing the floor when the NRL could pull things like paying players to play test matches

Just they trying on the NSWRL

The golden handshake is very much alive

Look at the NFL - they dont play any rep games with 100% focus on their season

Matua

Bench
Only 1 player came down from the ESL though. They stop for Challenge Cup Rounds not sure they pause the comp again for a window.
I see you're just going to have an excuse for not supporting any international league outside of one window you and the NRL/Origin bigwigs want so there's really no point carrying this discussion on.

Iamback

Coach
But it would mean the IRL has to step up to the NRL

NRL has enough votes on the IRL to stop what they dont want

Cant see NZRL or Pacific nations crossing the floor when the NRL could pull things like paying players to play test matches

Just they trying on the NSWRL

The golden handshake is very much alive

Look at the NFL - they dont play any rep games with 100% focus on their season

Times have changed RL players have the power.

Samoa is likely to be the whole Panthers backline - There is zero chance any of them get sacked for wanting to play a test.

So too Dogs with Kikau etc.

The sport is changing. IRL needs to get on the front foot and forward plan these things

Iamback

Coach
I see you're just going to have an excuse for not supporting any international league outside of one window you and the NRL/Origin bigwigs want so there's really no point carrying this discussion on.

It is a discussion.

It is the reason I asked if anyone had heard if NZRL made any money from the test.

How does the Revenue coming back to the NRL from the tests. Help the countries involved?

I brought up the ESL because Fiji lost. Maybe they win with their 6 ESL players.

Cook Islands could of used Kenny Edwards, Napa etc from ESL.

You don't think for those countries it helps to have the window when they have everyone available?

Tigers1986

Juniors
sold out match in NZ, yeh waste of time! If PNG had been in Port Moresby as well that'd sold out. Putting the tests on in a shtty suburban Sydney ground hardly helps.
Like I said why not both? No one is suggesting we run one off tests instead of tournaments in Oct&Nov. Having two international windows in a year is better than one!

There is no reason to not to. It was done to appease Ch9, even though Sunday origin rates as well (or in this years case better!) than Wednesday origin.
Shitty ground? Enjoy your shed crap in the dusty west and not have a team you stain.

The crowd was more than the alleged 10k. I was lined up for 25 minutes to get in. NEVER happened for the NRL games except the anniversary game against Broncos a few years back.

The atmosphere for the Samoa/Cook Islands game was incredible. Origin like.

Iamback

Coach

sold out match in NZ. That Australia kept the profits and TV money from. Tell me how did that help NZRL?

Again where am I saying you can't have mid season tests?
If Australia chooses not to that is on them

What I am saying is NZRL should be able to go to SkyNZ and do a deal fox x amount of games a year then fit those games in where is best for them.

Instead we got NRL needing content. Slapped a few games in where they wanted. As cheap as possible and kept all the money

ESL had one player come down. They need to be on board too for a mid season window to be viable

Perth Red

Post Whore
You see nothing wrong with those countries getting no money from it?

I want to see England play more tests. A window does that nothing to do with PVL at all
Theres always been a test season in Oct/Nov. They arent proposing something new, just getting rid of something thats been a success in the mid season one off tests. Its not an Or situation, its an AND situation!

Iamback

Coach
Theres always been a test season in Oct/Nov. They arent proposing something new, just getting rid of something thats been a success in the mid season one off tests. Its not an Or situation, its an AND situation!

You didn't answer the question. What did NZ get from a sellout on Sat?

NRL needed content. So put on some tests. NZRL could of done with the gate takings and the chance to sell the TV rights

Countries like Cook Islands and Fiji couldn't get players from ESL.

Places like PNG couldn't even host the game.

So you need to get the ESL to pause to create a real mid season window or no point. As long as you are getting a minimum of 5 tests a year then it doesn't matter when they are played