What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Millions tune in to grand final

pcpp

Juniors
From regional Australia to the capital cities of the eastern seaboard, more than 3.3 million Australians tuned in to Sunday’s Bulldogs versus Roosters grand final.

Ratings figures today revealed the full extent of the grand final’s reach as the WIN and NBN viewing figures across regional Australia were tallied with the five capital city figures on the Nine Network.

Despite being shown live in only three states, the Telstra Premiership grand final attracted a national five capital city audience average of 2,111,126 viewers.

Across regional markets through WIN and NBN a further 1,268,364 people watched the thrilling decider.

In markets where viewers had the opportunity to watch both the NRL and AFL grand finals live (Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and regional Australia), rugby league led the viewing figures 3,322,177 to 2,854,417.

Nationally, with all markets included, the AFL attracted 3,634,660 to the NRL’s 3,379,459.

In Brisbane and Sydney the Telstra Premiership grand final joined this year’s Harvey Norman State of Origin matches to have rugby league providing the most watched programs of any description in each city to date in 2004.

The top four most watched events in Brisbane are the three State of Origin matches and the grand final, and in Sydney the top three most watched shows to date are the grand final followed by Origins two and three.

Once again the Telstra Premiership grand final surpassed all other codes in Brisbane despite the fact that no Queensland team was represented (616,776 for the NRL grand final, 489,715 for the AFL grand final).

The Melbourne telecast peaked at about 500,000 viewers and at 391,000 averaged a higher figure than the AFL grand final had achieved in Sydney a week previously (313,000).

“The strength of the game across the eastern seaboard in particular is beyond question,” NRL chief executive David Gallop said today.

“To average 391,000 in Melbourne is a reminder of that city’s love of all sport and of the potential that exists for the Melbourne Storm.

“There’s every chance that had we enjoyed earlier timeslots in both Perth and Adelaide that the true national ratings figure would have eclipsed any sporting competition this year.

“If you compare only those markets where we shared live television telecasts with our competitors, the Telstra Premiership grand final was a convincing winner as the most watched Australian sporting grand final.

“It’s a tremendous compliment to the players the clubs, the fans and the Nine Network.”

Telstra Premiership grand final audience:

Regional audience 1,268,364

Sydney 1,044,774

Brisbane 616,776

Melbourne 392,293

Adelaide 26,183 (telecast commenced 10:45pm)

Perth 31099 (telecast commenced 10:45pm)

DIEHARD

----
Truely fantastic ratings!

Some may argue that the AFL was at an earlier time and the NRL was prime time.

Nationally, with all markets included, the AFL attracted 3,634,660 to the NRL’s 3,379,459.

But the NRL was only shown LIVE in three states and the NRL faced prime time opposition in Australian Idol.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Something has fallen here though.

In 2001 national ratings with all markets was about 3.6 million, with AFL's being about 3.4

2002 and 2003 were about 3.8 million to AFL's 3.4/3.5

now down to 3.38 million.

This is a big drop.

I looked at the ATR ratings before, it was like North NSW 210,000 NRL, 160,000 AFL. I find that very, very hard to believe.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
The game really needs to be shown live in Perth and Adelaide. Australians love one off sporting events and would definately tune in to watch the game. This leads me to believe that their is defintely some shifty business going on behind closed doors regarding why the games are not being shown live.

Dogboy

Juniors
Great figures, but it highlights the fact that the NRL has to push for a live telecast in Adelaide and (especially) Perth for the big one.

Actually, ALL the semis should be shown live around the country as well, which shouldn't be too diffucult, as all the AFL finals are on Ten anyway.

t-ba

Post Whore
The problem is that CH9 is privately owned in Perth and Adelaide. Hopefully a few full houses at ME stadium for those Sharks game prove just how high the level of interest is and forces the stations hand.

DIEHARD

----
Remember NRL has tough competition from Aussie Idol and it was the Roosters v Bulldogs which really lowers everyones enthusiasm.

Everyone likes to pick a "good guy" to follow in the Grand Final.

This year it was Darth Vader v Dr Evil.

Leagueguy

Juniors
Yes , Australian Idol is on and it was also the worst possible match to attract viewers in qld. It got very bad press here. Both teams are hated passionately up here. Qlders were actually going for the Roosters and Phil Gould.

syphon

Juniors
Tidus_Raider said:
The game really needs to be shown live in Perth and Adelaide. Australians love one off sporting events and would definately tune in to watch the game. This leads me to believe that their is defintely some shifty business going on behind closed doors regarding why the games are not being shown live.
You're kidding arent you?? 60 minutes normally smashes that Melbourne figure of a sunday night. Only a matter of time before 9 cuts its losses and delays the game in Melbourne too.

JW

Coach
Just like the Swans and their regular <100,000 ratings in Sydney?

:lol:

Cheers.

Razor

Coach
This is a big drop.

There was a call in a Brisbane paper to boycott watching the match to force it back to daytime. It would only really matter what people with ratings boxes decided to do, to make any difference, so don't know if anyone actually paid any attention to it

Also the earlier time would have created problems for some

LESStar58

Referee
I'm happy with the ratings in melbs (500K peak! :clap: :clap: :clap: ).... now if only we could have live Origin and Adelaide and Perth get the GF live!

Tidus_Raider

Bench
syphon said:
Tidus_Raider said:
The game really needs to be shown live in Perth and Adelaide. Australians <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=love&v=56">love</a> one off sporting events and would definately tune in to watch the game. This leads me to believe that their is defintely some shifty <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=business&v=56">business</a> going on behind closed doors regarding why the <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=games&v=56">games</a> are not being shown live.
You're kidding arent you?? 60 minutes normally smashes that Melbourne figure of a sunday night. Only a matter of <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=time&v=56">time</a> before 9 cuts its losses and delays the game in Melbourne too.

Where did I mention Melbourne in my post. I'm talking about Adelaide and Perth. They should be getting the game live. I'm sure if it was than more than the reported 35K that bothered to stay up and watch it would of tuned in.

DIEHARD

----
syphon said:
You're kidding arent you?? 60 minutes normally smashes that Melbourne figure of a sunday night. Only a matter of time before 9 cuts its losses and delays the game in Melbourne too.

Shut up queer

syphon

Juniors
Tidus_Raider said:
syphon said:
Tidus_Raider said:
The game really needs to be shown live in Perth and Adelaide. Australians <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=love&v=56">love</a> one off sporting events and would definately tune in to watch the game. This leads me to believe that their is defintely some shifty <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=business&v=56">business</a> going on behind closed doors regarding why the <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=games&v=56">games</a> are not being shown live.
You're kidding arent you?? 60 minutes normally smashes that Melbourne figure of a sunday night. Only a matter of <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=time&v=56">time</a> before 9 cuts its losses and delays the game in Melbourne too.

Where did I mention Melbourne in my post. I'm talking about Adelaide and Perth. They should be getting the game live. I'm sure if it was than more than the reported 35K that bothered to stay up and watch it would of tuned in.
You eluded to the fact that there is some sort of conspiracy "shifty business behind closed doors" keeping the grand final from being shown live, and how people would watch one off sporting events.

The fact that it was a disaster for channel 9 in Melbourne is testament to the reason why they dont show it live in adelaide or perth. Nothing shifty - people couldnt care less about rugby league, and channel 9 get slammed in the ratings by airing it.

syphon

Juniors
DIEHARD said:
syphon said:

Shut up queer

What, got no arguments?? Resorting to personal name-calling?? Proof you've been OWNED!!

Surandy

Bench
syphon said:
DIEHARD said:
syphon said:

Shut up queer

What, got no arguments?? Resorting to personal name-calling?? Proof you've been OWNED!!

Actually a couple of years back Melbourne got a delayed NRL GF and there was an outcry over it, which is why Nein went back to live GF in Melbourne.

Personally I think the ratings for the last two years NRL GF have been fairly good considering we get no lead up programming, ie the Jersey Flegg GF, etc plus only one of all the semis were show live in the last two years. Keeping in mind that in 2003 and 2004 the NRL GF has been total NSW affairs the ratings are pretty good.

Better than the AFL GF in Sydney or Brisbane this year. :lol:

Yep, the AFL really OWNS those markets. :roll: :lol: :roll:

Latest posts