What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Millward Appreciation

dragonreddy

Juniors
Millward's not signing up Dugan now seems the correct decision. Have to give him wraps for that. Let's hope he gets Dufty on a long term contract.

Probably a bit early to be hailing Dufty as an adequate replacement for a current Australian and Origin rep who busts his arse for the team week in and week out.

Maybe make the call this time next year if he,(Dufty) is still going well ,and i hope he will be.

giboz71

First Grade
Probably a bit early to be hailing Dufty as an adequate replacement for a current Australian and Origin rep who busts his arse for the team week in and week out.

Maybe make the call this time next year if he,(Dufty) is still going well ,and i hope he will be.

It's only 1 game but having another attacking option with speed and ball skills makes such a difference. Speed and support play from FB is so crucial. Whether it's Dufty or Field or someone else I don't really care who as long as they bring those qualities.

All I knew was we're weren't winning a comp with Duges at FB, hence I've always backed the club's stance. Even the Sharks knew that when they signed him.

Wait till Ben Hunt arrives next year where we have threats on either side of the field. Dufty can be anything.

Como Connection

First Grade
It's only 1 game but having another attacking option with speed and ball skills makes such a difference. Speed and support play from FB is so crucial. Whether it's Dufty or Field or someone else I don't really care who as long as they bring those qualities.

All I knew was we're weren't winning a comp with Duges at FB, hence I've always backed the club's stance. Even the Sharks knew that when they signed him.

Wait till Ben Hunt arrives next year where we have threats on either side of the field. Dufty can be anything.
Don't forget Kurt Mann.
CC

Crush

Coach
Nothing this man does will ever be good enough.

You need a little bit of perspective here BTN, so let me give it to you.
- Losing Dugan sucked, sure, but the contract he was offered by Millward was sound. He was worth no more than 750k a season for the quality of player he is. Did Millward make a mistake by labelling Dugan as a centre? Yes he did. But ultimately, he f**king IS a centre, he doesn't have the body to maintain the intensity at fullback week in week out, his injuries come far too often and his lack of passing game stifles our backline shifts. Sharks swooped and offered more than he is worth, a big loss but a fair loss.
- We were outbid for Packer. The Tigers are desperate and offered Packer MASSIVE overs. There is absolutely no way we could and/or should have matched it. Besides he had the extra incentive of joining his old coach and best mate in Matulino. Packer's management negotiated with the club that they weren't interested in rushing into re-signing the contract, therefore keeping their options open. It was a fair loss, out of Millward's control.
- Hunt was a massive coup and you know it, don't even pretend he wasn't. Are you really expecting him to make a serious Origin debut with Thurston and Cronk in his way? He was out of the game for 8 weeks this year and has been playing himself back into form whilst guys like DCE and Munster have been on an absolute roll, give him a break. Did we pay slight overs? Perhaps, who knows. If you believe everything you read in the papers then maybe, but Millward made it clear that the numbers talked about in the media were way off the mark. We needed a halfback and he was the best on the market. Period.
- We've retain Widdop who has been instrumental in our top 8 surge so far this year and alongside a natural halfback in Hunt he will flourish, De Belin who played himself into the NSW squad, Frizell who is a current Australian/NSW player, Kurt Mann after everyone was on Millward's back to re-sign him, he picked up Paul Vaughan who should have played for NSW this year, he signed McInnes who almost played himself into NSW selection and has completely straightened up our attack, re-signed Lafai who has completed turned his form around this year (and even though he's plateaued a little in recent weeks, his stats and performance on field are still impressive), and promising juniors in Host/Lawrie/Leilua/Field/Aitken/Lomax etc.
- There is currently NOBODY on the open market. Millward said in the latest recruitment update that there are no front rowers out there that fit their criteria and I agree completely. All that is left is deadwood. Being patient is the right decision because you will find that teams have overestimated the cap and will need to shed players as a result, that is where we swoop. It happened with Vaughan, and look how that ended up for us, best signing of 2017.

Has Millward make some mistakes? Sure, but plenty of other clubs are losing quality players as well. So before you get on your high horse, think about what you're saying and read into it a little bit more rather than being so glass half empty.
Great post.

Stagger Lee

Bench
Love the Duges
But Millard was so right not to sign him for 4 years @ 750K.
It was a tough call to make letting go a player with X factor but if we have talent like Duffy coming through the ranks then it will be shown to be the correct call very, very soon.

Bench
Dufty is just the tip of the iceberg in relation to some of the juniors. There is a wealth of talent that. If handled properly will see us being competitive for the next few years.
I think a premiership is just around the corner.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Pleased as punch that young Matt finally got his turn in 1st Grade he deserved it and hope it continues.....its been a great 24 hrs for him and has given us all a much needed lift with his presence on the field......now everyone should back off just a little and let the kid develop his confidence and skills without having to much pressure on him ever time he touches the ball.....he is an excitement machine and adds much needed pace and variety to our backline but he is still young and will provide us with much joy with many years to come if handled correctly

giboz71

First Grade
Hopefully those who have been bagging Mary give him credit for knowing when to eventually give Dufty a go. Proof is in the pudding, his timing was perfect, who knows if he could have had this kind of debut earlier in the season? Clearly his time in Illawarra has helped him.

We still have 6 games to go and a good draw. Now that he knows he can handle FG, that should help his confidence against some of the lesser teams.

I was hoping his FG experience late in the season could help for him for next year but he could potentially be an X factor for us to make a push for the semis this year too.

jay mac

Juniors

Absolutely true.

BUT, we have been calling for a ball-playing fullback for some time on this forum and Dufty produced more try assists yesterday than Dugan's last 48 games. That's correct; aside from the try assist he recorded against the Knights in Rd 26 last season, you have to go back to Rd 4 2015 to find his previous. I really hope he finishes his time with the Dragons in the No. 3 jersey.

On another, albeit Duges-related, note - I found it interesting that both Dugan and Packer were both due to notch up their respective 150's yesterday, despite Big Russ missed two entire seasons. Even accounting for Packer having made his debut half a season before Dugan, it really shows how susceptible to injury the guy is.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Millward was right to stay solid on the Dugan negotiations although he did back the wrong horse in nominating Field.