What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Millward spills some important info.

blacksafake

First Grade
I listened to the same interview. I found it reallly interesting that the long term view at the club is that coaches will be brought in and basically given the role of coaching, while a board will oversee recruitment, retention and development. The reasons given were that if you have to sack the coach, there isn't a giant amount of turmoil like we're seeing at Manly where the team is shredded and almost unrecognisable after they're done. It gives consistency and also fosters a long term policy of developing juniors from the St George and South Coast regions.

I reckon it's a genius idea, and as Ben Ikin indicated, it's the way all the NFL teams are run.
Could be so but the problem may be signing a proven experienced coach under these conditions.I would expect a senior proven coach would like to be judged on his performance & if so this would mean having a big say in who comes & goes.Looks like we will once again be going down the path of rookie coaches & dare i say in house.

FlameThrower

Bench
How about we acknowledge this as a turning point at the Club. Retention of best juniors and extended best of current squad. I was very sceptical of the Committee and what they could add to the running of the Club.its all heading in right direction. I would love to see new coach signed up, and some restructure of the Club at board level...

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I wouldn't mind if we were aiming to become the New England Patriots, or Man U under Ferguson.

I wouldn't mind that at all.

In fact, it would be a dream come true.

watatank

Coach
Could be so but the problem may be signing a proven experienced coach under these conditions.I would expect a senior proven coach would like to be judged on his performance & if so this would mean having a big say in who comes & goes.Looks like we will once again be going down the path of rookie coaches & dare i say in house.

Yep and that will be the justification for keeping mcgregor on...or giving the job to Hornby.

Dragsters

First Grade
It's finally refreshing to see the club being proactive and organised in their future planning, unlike the panic & dartboard recruitment of the last 6 years.
I just wonder if this new sub committee of business professionals led by Mark Coyne, have shown the old boys brigade how things need to work in the real world.
It certainly seems steps in the right direction and now needs the rights coaching appointment for 2018 to further improve and develop the player talent.

Totally agree Coffs.

This semblance of professionalism is refreshing in the least.

Whilst it had been clear for a number of years that the clubs board of dinosaurs were horribly out of touch, it sounds like the new sub-committee led by Coyne have adopted a more progressive, worlds best practice approach to the management of football operations with a more decentralised and focussed strategy.

This point alone leads me to think that if and when Mary is replaced, it is far more likely to be with a coach that is prepared to fit into this structure.

This, coupled with with Haslers comments in the press recently regarding his tenure at the dogs, is enough to make me believe it won't be him.

Cleary appears the more suited than Des, to adapting to the club's new direction, but I'm not sure it will be him either anymore.

Much depends on the impact of this management structure on our form this season, both from the retain Mary perspective and the ability to improve the clubs attractiveness to the best coaches available on the market.

Interesting times ahead.

Last edited:

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Ha, watched some TV - maybe NRL360 and they had Cleary on and asked him about coaching / McGregor. The look on his face indicated he was definitely in the frame. He and journo Hooper also both looked at each other like they'd woken up next to each other.

Gorilla
Mybe they did wake up next to each other . Nows thats interesting lol

Dragsters

First Grade
Ha, watched some TV - maybe NRL360 and they had Cleary on and asked him about coaching / McGregor. The look on his face indicated he was definitely in the frame. He and journo Hooper also both looked at each other like they'd woken up next to each other.

I saw that too. Cleary did look a bit like the cat that just ate the goldfish.

I wasn't sure if that's because he is still in the frame or as has been rumoured, he knocked them back last year and may now be regretting that move.

ALSGI

Bench
Yeah, Dufty seems to have been thrown on the scrap heap.

DW, a decent u20s season from Steve Marsters and we'll all forget about Field!
BennyV
Let's see what we think about McCrone and Widdop in a few weeks, I was one of many that wanted them both gone last week and one of many that wanted Field and Dufty in at any cost.
I'm a lot calmer after last weekend but I'd still like to see Field and Dufty push for NRL time as opportunities arise.
Our forwards gave McCrone and Widdop a great platform but I also think the likes of Field and Dufty helped McCrone and Dufty 'find' form, as did their contracts.

BennyV

Referee
BennyV
Let's see what we think about McCrone and Widdop in a few weeks, I was one of many that wanted them both gone last week and one of many that wanted Field and Dufty in at any cost.
I'm a lot calmer after last weekend but I'd still like to see Field and Dufty push for NRL time as opportunities arise.
Our forwards gave McCrone and Widdop a great platform but I also think the likes of Field and Dufty helped McCrone and Dufty 'find' form, as did their contracts.
The good thing is that this sort of thing is EXACTLY what Director of Pathways should be doing and, to his credit (and despite the unprofessionalism that lead to his appointment) Millward is doing an excellent job.

The fact that he is not only signing, but planning the future of some of our best youngster is something we should have been doing from the early 00s and while I'm not always in 100% agreement of which players are being selected for pathways, its good to see that future planning. With a coach that has a few brain cells, it's a decent future on the field.

possm

Coach
I'd say the Dragons must be confident in retaining Dugan and because we have some young guns coming through the system, they can gain salary cap by letting go Mann, Milne and Lafai by end of season. It was interesting to see there was no indication of Dufty scoring a spot in first grade.

getsmarty

Immortal
I'd say the Dragons must be confident in retaining Dugan and because we have some young guns coming through the system, they can gain salary cap by letting go Mann, Milne and Lafai by end of season. It was interesting to see there was no indication of Dufty scoring a spot in first grade.

I think letting both Mann and Milne go will be a massive mistake. I would try to keep Milne only because I think Mann will leave due to how the club has mishandled him as a player.

Last edited:

Dragsters

First Grade
I listened to the same interview. I found it reallly interesting that the long term view at the club is that coaches will be brought in and basically given the role of coaching, while a board will oversee recruitment, retention and development. The reasons given were that if you have to sack the coach, there isn't a giant amount of turmoil like we're seeing at Manly where the team is shredded and almost unrecognisable after they're done. It gives consistency and also fosters a long term policy of developing juniors from the St George and South Coast regions.

I reckon it's a genius idea, and as Ben Ikin indicated, it's the way all the NFL teams are run.

Yep, especially if we can pull it off!

How was the jet ski yarn!?

JDHD

Juniors

This is the new reality for coaches now. Bellamy, Bennet and Hasler are really the last of a dying breed. We won't get an established coach but realistically, the only one out there without a job is Ivan Cleary and while I'd love to have him (because he's a coach who has proven that he can make a team into a premiership contender) he'd never come near our dumpster fire of a board.

It also prevents coaches from coming in and leaving us like Bennett did with no juniors, an aging roster and a borderline salary cap scandal

Dragsters

First Grade
I think letting both Mann and Milne go will be a massive mistake. I would try to keep Milne only because I think Mann will leave due to how the club has mishandled him as a player.

I reckon Milne needs another crack at either spot in the centres, coz if they do see Duges as a long term centre, then I'd love to see a Duges/Milne centre combo.

If Duges has to play right side then I wanna see Milne get a crack at left centre.

Milne's quality offloading ability, passing game and agressiveness, should alone be enough to earn him a decent crack, to prove his can be Duges perfect future centre partner.

For 2018, with Hunt off the back of our massive, mobile pack, we get big and tough, strong runners on both edges.

Happy days.