What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Millward's delivers a world of pain.

The Friz

Juniors
The same bloke who is an Immortal... But please tell us all about your expertise and why you know more about Rugby League than the current rep coaches...
Oh, sorry.
I didn't realise that only opinions that concur with yours can be expressed on this forum.
My bad.

Rugby league can be played at an exceptional level with excellent physical attributes and not so many smarts. Spatial awareness does not equal smart and some players obviously have this and it is part of what is often described as "vision".

Very smart players can also excel with reasonable physical prowess.

Being smart does not guarantee success, nor does excellent physical ability.

Bennett and Bellamy have smarts in many aspects, including man-management and tactics. Mary does not appear to have the real smarts despite being a very good player. I doubt that he will ever learn enough to be a top-shelf coach.
Whether McGregor ultimately becomes a good coach or not does not exonerate the people who appointed him with the qualifications he had in the first place.
Instead, the fans have been subjected to Mcgregor's "apprenticeship" which has now been extend by a further 2 years.
My beef is that a club like St. George (and it's fans) have a right to expect the club to appoint the very best coaching option available. A top quality coach.
Price and now McGregor have been massive compromises which have been shown up many times over.
Worst of all, we just continue down the same path with no light at the end of the tunnel.
Recruitment and roster is only one element of a premiership winning team.
The driving force is the Head coach.
The fans have been seriously dudded and it seems that many are just happy to accept it.
End of rant - thank you!

Just a quick question?
Can anyone name a "recruitment/ retention" or "pathways director" at another club?

No?
Then maybe Millward should keep his big mouth shut.

Yeah. Mullholland.

But still, for that question to be relevant, you'd need to be able to name another club that's had its head coach stripped of all recruitment and retention decision making powers.

possm

Coach
Whether McGregor ultimately becomes a good coach or not does not exonerate the people who appointed him with the qualifications he had in the first place.
Instead, the fans have been subjected to Mcgregor's "apprenticeship" which has now been extend by a further 2 years.
My beef is that a club like St. George (and it's fans) have a right to expect the club to appoint the very best coaching option available. A top quality coach.
Price and now McGregor have been massive compromises which have been shown up many times over.
Worst of all, we just continue down the same path with no light at the end of the tunnel.
Recruitment and roster is only one element of a premiership winning team.
The driving force is the Head coach.
The fans have been seriously dudded and it seems that many are just happy to accept it.
End of rant - thank you!
We were bestowed not only a rookie head coach but also rookie assistant coaches. The only coaching talent in the Club, JD, was let go I guess because he had too much advice contrary to Mary's thinking. What a stupid situation the Board has put the Club in and then to extend this misery, smacks of arrogance and a lack of good management skills.
It's a mess, an 'old boys' mess.

possm

Coach
Yeah. Mullholland.

But still, for that question to be relevant, you'd need to be able to name another club that's had its head coach stripped of all recruitment and retention decision making powers.
The mere fact that these duties had to be stripped from Mary and then given to an 'old boy' who's father is a power broker within the Club should tell us all about the thinking of this incompetent Board of Management.

Life's Good

Coach
Crush, this could be true for many of the arguments on this forum. Another example is some of those that complain about the nepotism in the club and promotions within are probably the same ones who are currently or have at some stage been part of the boys club in their own business - promoted due to age or because they know management. Alternatively they are management perpetuating a similar scenario. It's generally how forums work. Anonymity gives people a sense of entitlement and superiority.
I tend to agree on the nepotism bit being a common occurrence in a normal working field. I don't agree with it but accept that it happens. The thing with the Dragons is that it is never ending and across many levels. (Coach, chairman, advisors, trainers etc.). Now, if we were successful(my definition of that is perennial Top 8 with the occasional GF appearance/win)then I wouldnt notice who is doing what within the club-it wouldn't matter. But we aren't and haven't been for some time apart from Bennett who fell in our lap only to slip through our fingers not long after. So from me I look at the nepotism as simply suffocating the opportunity to prosper because there isn't an outsider applying pressure for results.