What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Milne gone to Tigers

possm

Coach
I believe Milne will be gone next week. He is not part of Millward's plan and we have plenty of replacements still available; Aitken, Mann and our juniors. Although in my opinion, none of these centres are a patch on Milne at is best.

I suppose we can't keep them all however, all this uncertainty could have been avoided if Millward struck a deal with Dugan and Widdop first up and then moved down the list of priority signings/extensions. Milne is young and did not take up most of our cap so it highlights again the balance needed between local juniors and recruited young talented players. I'd say more flexibility should be exercised.

I was at the first trial in 2016 - Dragons v Wynnum Manly - when Milne played his first game for the Dragons. It was a very wet day and for some reason the ball did not come his way very often. However, you could definitely see his class in defence and attack when the ball came is way.

I'm sad to see him go as I do believe he is a better centre than any we have at the Club right now. If Dugan is moved to right centre, it explains the reason for the move.

Crush

Coach
FMD you keep going on about Dugan
Get a list of the games he has missed and what the injuries were.
Injuries caused by crusher tackles and broken jaws are not injury prone they are as a result of illegal play.
If he was injury prone he would keep braking his jaw and crushing his vertebrae.
All these blokes are highly tuned and susceptible to an injury but that does not make them injury prone.
Please present your facts re the injuries that make him "prone".
Now you slipped that in when we were talking about Lafai being a top 3 centre in the comp so do you agree with that call?
On form this year I would say that Lafai would be right up there given how well we are going.
As a centre in general I dont think that he is in the top 20.

JDHD

Juniors
I agree with you JD - my post was entirely aimed at keyboard wimpy people who don't rate him. They are morons and should follow another sport because Dugan is a great player. I'm proud he is in the red V.

I hope he and the club can find common ground - saints stuck out their necks and saved him from his off field mistakes. We all make them but he has matured and is now a role model. He should remember what we did but we should also pay him a market rate.

A good leadership team would negotiate a win/win with a bloke like Duges.

Ah, excellent. It always nice to encounter a reasonable person on this hellish, apocalyptic landscape that we call the Internet.

Agree 100%. He owes us. We owe him nothing. He was headed to the Broncos and completely blew it, and we saved his arse from rugby.

SaintElroy

Juniors
Possum mate, I don't get the Millward hate, to be fair everyone was crying out for the retention of our promising juniors in Luciano, dufty, field, Herbert and the young hooker last year which we locked most them up. Add to that lomax and sailor coming through.

The addition of Vaughn, McInnes and even Simms have proven so far to be fairly astute buys, as well as the extension of jdb.

We have finally signed a decent pure halfback which is the first in a very long time.

Most people and probably including our club at the end of last year were looking forward to seeing the back of Widdop based on his poor form. At that time why would we rush to sign him. Without knowing how much cap space we would have given to us next year by the nrl.

I think we have offered both Dugan and Widdop fair offers if reports are true.

The fact that Milne hasn't played an integral part in the team are we really going to miss him? Behind the scenes maybe he just is a shit trainer and Mary isn't getting what he wants out of him or some attitude issues?

We have a good number of young kids coming through that he is easily replaced by another up and comer at a cheaper price than what it would cost to retain Milne on his next contract. I think millward has done a fairly decent job so far. My view may change if we lose both Widdop and Dugan with no one knocking down the door to replace them. I have a feeling we will keep both though.

Old Timer

Coach
JDHD
I don't get the mentality that he "owes us" that is just shit talk.
Are people going to bring that crap up for evermore FMD it was a minor infraction by a young man?
Sure we threw him a lifeline but that was years ago and he has long since repaid our faith in him.
He has grown into a great club man and is now part of the leadership group and he owes us jack shit other than his best performance each and every game and I believe we get that and more.
In fact, we owe it to him to accept that he is great footballer, has every right to express his views on where he should play and what he might be worth rather than Millward being so dogged and at odds with other peoples opinions.

possm

Coach
Possum mate, I don't get the Millward hate, to be fair everyone was crying out for the retention of our promising juniors in Luciano, dufty, field, Herbert and the young hooker last year which we locked most them up. Add to that lomax and sailor coming through.

The addition of Vaughn, McInnes and even Simms have proven so far to be fairly astute buys, as well as the extension of jdb.

We have finally signed a decent pure halfback which is the first in a very long time.

Most people and probably including our club at the end of last year were looking forward to seeing the back of Widdop based on his poor form. At that time why would we rush to sign him. Without knowing how much cap space we would have given to us next year by the nrl.

I think we have offered both Dugan and Widdop fair offers if reports are true.

The fact that Milne hasn't played an integral part in the team are we really going to miss him? Behind the scenes maybe he just is a shit trainer and Mary isn't getting what he wants out of him or some attitude issues?

We have a good number of young kids coming through that he is easily replaced by another up and comer at a cheaper price than what it would cost to retain Milne on his next contract. I think millward has done a fairly decent job so far. My view may change if we lose both Widdop and Dugan with no one knocking down the door to replace them. I have a feeling we will keep both though.
It's nice to see a member put his case so well. No one liners or personal attacks, just good reasonable words to support your view.

I can agree with most of what you've said. The problem I have is that Millward and his father along with Craig and Dean Young are part of an old boy network who's priority is to ensure jobs for the boys.

Millward has failed in his coaching stint with the Cutters and as an assistant coach to Price/Mary. Now he is a one man band making crucial decisions which will effect our Club for years. This arrangement is one of the main reason why we cannot attract a top line coach.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
To be fair to Millward he has done nothing wrong and achieved
plenty in recruitment. The fact that Dugan and Widdop are unsigned is probably good as they could have been paid overs as the salary cap will now be lower than expected.
I hope that we retain both players along with Ah Mau, Packer and Mann. However, Mann and Nightingale can play fullback and Field and Mann can play five-eighth.
To me Mullholland signed a lot of useless
players and should have brought more juniors through. There are some fairly classy
players in our Under 20's side. I am particularly impressed
with the half-back who plays like Tommy Raudonikis or Terry Lamb. He has a lot of mongrel.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
The Under 20's half-back is Jackson Willis. He looks the goods.
By the way I think that we need to rename the Tin Man the Tough and Sharp Man.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Was not a fan of Lafai and thought Milne would be the shoe in for centre at the start of 2017. Well obviously during the off season Lafai trained the house down and got first shot ahead of Milne. Lafai being dropped in 2016 had more to prove during the off season than Milne and looks like he sure did and is reaping the rewards. Sad to see Milne go but you have to commend Mary for picking a player on form and attitude shown in training ahead of last years form, from a side that were bad all round. It's like he started with a clean slate and made the players prove there worth in the off season and rewarded them according which is not a bad thing.

Bench
With teams paying a player a million or more a season it will be players like Milne who have the potential for first grade will be let go to free up money under the cap for the million dollar player.
By doing that teams will not invest in their young guns. These players can take a few years to reach their potential. But teams want instant success.
Some clubs will never be able to match teams like the Broncos, Storm and a few other teams.

twinkletoes

Juniors
Just on Lafai, is there a court hearing hanging over his head or has that been resolved. Would the findings if adverse have any bearing on his future availability???

Just on Lafai, is there a court hearing hanging over his head or has that been resolved. Would the findings if adverse have any bearing on his future availability???

Thought both Lafai and Havili are before the court this month

May make a difference in terms of who goes and who stays

Latest posts