What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Minicello is not a fullback

simon says

First Grade
The more I watch this bloke,the more I find mytself wishing he was on the wing for NSW and OZ,not FB.FB's today play like an extra 5/8....guys like Shifcofsce,Hornby,Hodgo and co have good ball skills that can make half a break into a try.

Minicello just doesnt have those skills,he can barely pass and is fumbly under pressure.If he gets the ball early he is near unstoppable,so strong and jinky that he is awesome.But he just doesnt have the head or hand skills for the FB job IMHO.Whack him on the wing for Sing,and put a more skillful player at the back and watch us flog the enemy.

Cheers.

aids

Bench
he's ok.

he does look a bit lost in the few int. games so far.
but he is a good FB during the regular season

Anonymous

Juniors
I agree, he's not a fullback.

I want to see Matty Bowen make a debut, but he won't.

However Mini is a gifted player, he's not a bad fullback really.

Stranger

Coach
Bowen still has years to make the auzzie side.

Mini's passing game is terrible but he did have a hand in the 2 rooney tries.

OVP

Coach
That post will spark furious debate over at The Wall.

But its been done there before to death. Some Roosters will agree with you (like me), some wont.

RABK

Referee
Minichiello is an awesome fullback. He is the most explosive kick returner in the game and bumps of props like there halfbacks and runs around wingers like there props. He was a great winger but an even better fullback. Why do u need an extra 5/8 when u have lockyer/gower and kimmorley as ur halfs. Although im a big fan of his, bowen has proved in the semi's he's not quite up to international standard yet. (passing the ball to sing and williams every run and very nervous when put under any pressure)

Raider_69

Post Whore
Mini is a winger, always has been, always will be IMO
he is over rated at fullback atm

RABK

Referee
humm... Has mini ever run at a prop.
After playing 126 games and about 15 rep games i believe so. Props are often the 1st ones in to make a tackle on a kick chase (to rough house fullbacks/wingers) and i've seen him run into props, bump off them then run past them. (hit and spin)

CC_Eagle

First Grade
He played on wing for NSW this year didn't he? Or am I full of shit?

I agree, he'd be best on Win with Wesser/Bowen/Slater at fullback.

Red Bear

Referee
I thik he's a fullback. He has awesome kick returns in his defence in certianly better than some fullbacks(it aint the best but it is improving). The little thing he does like chime into the backline on movement eg two of the tries scored by Australia on the weekend are very typical of a fullback as well(or at least a traditional fullback). I much prefer watching the Minichello/Brasher type fullback(Brasher was the kingof Fullback) than a 5/8 style fullback. Sure, the 5/8 style can do some excellent things(like Lockyer did) but the others are so explosive and so entertaining to watch.

TigerMo

Juniors
CC_Eagle said:
He played on wing for NSW this year didn't he? Or am I full of sh*t?

I agree, he'd be best on Win with Wesser/Bowen/Slater at fullback.

You're half right. He got picked at wing in the first game, but didn't play because of the 'phone call' incident. He got picked at FB for the next 2 games though..

Chippo Raiders

Juniors
He was top tryscorer for the Roosters wasn't he? he leads tackle breaks and metre's which are the MAIN two areas a fullback must succeed nowadays. People are always trying to move him back on the wing, Schif in the ANZAC test was rumoured and Hornby was SOO1 fullback, but Mini still outperforms them and I am a Schif fan. He may not be a fullback but he is our best shot nonetheless, Bowen should be exchanged for Wing not Mini.

tiger_nick

Bench
Chippo Raiders said:
Bowen should be exchanged for Wing not Mini.

I agree

Nothing against Wing, he is one of Australias top 17 footballers, but he dosne't fit into this team. No point having him their when Buderus plays 80 minutes no worries, especially when he is captain or vice captain.

fat_mike

Juniors
mini is one of the best posotional fullback in the game.

takes the ball on the full 9 times out of ten and is usually hitting the ball up to the defence hard. his metres gained is great. he may not have a crisp passing game but thats what the halves are there for. mini follows his forwards waiting for an offload and scores tries like a good fullback should.

positional play and metres gained on kick returns are what makes a good fullback and mini is great at both.

Chippo Raiders

Juniors
LRC said:
Wing and Buderus would be first pick in any side....

I think Craig Wing was a fresh tactic when he started out coming on as an interchange hooker, but now I feel the tactic is old and we need to look at Matt Bowen, Bowen doesn't beat Mini as a fullback, Mini does bucket loads of work and that would be missed, Bowen however would be great coming of the bench, he has superior speed over Wing and has an awesome in and away

And Buderus is an 80 minutes player, why would you interchange the games best hooker