What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Minicello is not a fullback

JJ

Immortal
Look's like a fullback to me - wears #1, plays behind the fron line of defence, returns kicks, etc etc

Azkatro

First Grade
Red and Blue Knight said:
Props are often the 1st ones in to make a tackle on a kick chase

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Minichiello is a winger. Regardless of whether he can "bump of [sic] props like there [sic] halfbacks and run around wingers like there [sic] props", that's not necessarily what you'd call a job description for a fullback.

As I've said before, I think the best fullbacks in the game today are guys like Patten and Hornby. A lot of people believe the best fullbacks are the explosive attacking guys like Slater, but I really do think a fullback should be defensively capable first and foremost. The wingers are your guys who are mostly geared towards attacking I believe.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I only really rate Minichello for kickreturns, he has the best in the League. Also, people always say he looks all bumbley under pressure, but usually manages to get it.

Hornby has gotten most under-rated 2 years in a row

I think ball skills wise he is the best fullback. He can kick getting preassure off Baz & Head, links up well with off-loads making line-breaks. One thing he needs to work on is catching under the highball, it's not the best

I'd like to see Mini have another go on the wing & see how he goes, than we can judge

supersoniceagle

Juniors
Chippo Raiders said:
LRC said:
Wing and Buderus would be first pick in any side....

I think Craig Wing was a fresh tactic when he started out coming on as an interchange hooker, but now I feel the tactic is old and we need to look at Matt Bowen, Bowen doesn't beat Mini as a fullback, Mini does bucket loads of work and that would be missed, Bowen however would be great coming of the bench, he has superior speed over Wing and has an awesome in and away

And Buderus is an 80 minutes player, why would you interchange the games best hooker
I think Wing really got Australia back on track against GB. He's still the best utility player and must be on the bench

stubbsie

Juniors
Minichello is a great fullback positional, kick returns and support play but a find it hard to believe after all the games he has played he can't pass a ball.

Mr Saab

Referee
Mini is a winger.
Wing is not the answer anymore. His effectiveness is no more. I am a fan of Bennett, but to have Gower,Kimmorley, Buderus, and Wing on the field at the same time baffles me.

Broncodroid

Juniors
I read a handful of posts and scrolled down to enter my post.

Anthony Minichello IS a a fullback in every sense of the word and despite whatever he is lacking the passing department (which is news to me when judging a fullback), he makes up for it with a dynamic running game and safety at the back which I judge ANY modern day fullback on.

There is NO other fullback in the game that I want returning the ball from a kick in general play (the best positional playting fullback I have seen outside Lockyer) and NO other fullback I want under the high ball.

In attack Minichello may not be able to use Lockyer like ball skills, though he puts defenders in 2 minds as he runs with the ball in 2 hands and his speed / strength has led to many breaks that result in tried for the Roosters and at rep level.

There is a push for Matt Bowen amongst fans on this board after a brilliant season especially the closing 6-8 weeks, though I remind you all, it was Bowen not Minichello who cracked in the prelim final.

God-King Dean

Immortal
& he has the most tackle breaks

He is still the best fullback, I'd still like to see what he does at winger

JJ

Immortal
Broncodroid said:
I read a handful of posts and scrolled down to enter my post.

Anthony Minichello IS a a fullback in every sense of the word and despite whatever he is lacking the passing department (which is news to me when judging a fullback), he makes up for it with a dynamic running game and safety at the back which I judge ANY modern day fullback on.

There is NO other fullback in the game that I want returning the ball from a kick in general play (the best positional playting fullback I have seen outside Lockyer) and NO other fullback I want under the high ball.

In attack Minichello may not be able to use Lockyer like ball skills, though he puts defenders in 2 minds as he runs with the ball in 2 hands and his speed / strength has led to many breaks that result in tried for the Roosters and at rep level.

There is a push for Matt Bowen amongst fans on this board after a brilliant season especially the closing 6-8 weeks, though I remind you all, it was Bowen not Minichello who cracked in the prelim final.

all sounds good - Lockyer's skills were unusual at fullback.

As for passing, no one ever confused Garry Jack and Wally Lewis

panthersballboy

Juniors
Even though i would love to see Bowen get a run in the # 1. Mini is the best fullback at the moment. His kick returns are second to none.

Nugby

Juniors
Are you guys for Minichiello at fullback seriously saying that a winger can't get back and take a kick-return? Watch the next St. George game, and I guarantee that you'll see Reece Simmonds take a couple to take some pressure off Hornby while still allowing Hornby the occasional crack at second 5/8. Minichiello couldn't simply do this, rove around a bit when we're attacking and throw Hornby, Bowen etc in the side as Gould had intended during Origin? It's not like Matty Sing is even seeingthat much of the ball, it'd work to good effect in these Internationals.

if the aussies had say an established 5/8 available lockyer would be fullback for the bronco's/qld/australia and mini on the wing for at least nsw and australia.

Greenblooded

Juniors
Generalissimo Stalin said:
if the aussies had say an established 5/8 available lockyer would be fullback for the bronco's/qld/australia and mini on the wing for at least nsw and australia.

You mean like Scott Hill?? 8)