What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Minor Semi-Final (2007) Ninjas v Rabbitohs

Willow

Assistant Moderator
MINOR SEMI-FINAL (2007)
*SUDDEN DEATH*
Winner progresses to preliminary final, loser is eliminated

Chuck Norris Texas Death Ninjas v South Sydney Rabbitohs

Game Thread:
Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles).
Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
Only original essays, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.
Rules: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.php

5v5 + 2 reserves each

No TBAs

FULL TIME: Wednesday 22 August 2007 at 9pm (Syd time)
REFEREE: antonius

Venue: The Front Row Stadium
ground_tfr_1.jpg

**The Referee Blows Game On!**
whistle_2.gif

Pistol

Coach
Exceutive_Coach_Awning.jpg

The bus pulls in with the Souths players on board, ready for a finals showdown with the Ninjas.

sm_souths%202007%20away%20jersey%20-%20adult.jpg

Donning this jersey for this clash will be

Pistol (c)
Master Vippo
Mr Fahrenheit
Bumble
Marshall_Magic

rabs
roosterboy60

paulquinn49

Bench
CHUCK NORRIS TEXAS DEATH NINJAS

Gay-Pride.jpg

The bus pulls in with Ninja players, friends & supporters on board, ready for their showdown with Souths.

trailer.jpg

Donning the jersey for the clash will be

paulquinn49 (c)
Edabomb (c)
Titties (c)
jamesgould (vc)
Raider_69 (vc)

Bench
Raider Crusader
Hallatia

edabomb

First Grade
The Lost Art of Making a Comeback

Is there anything more pathetic than seeing a former champion player try and come back for one more shot at glory, only to fail miserably? I’ll be honest with you; I once loved the idea of comebacks. As a naïve teenage I could point to Michael Jordan, who came back with the Chicago Bulls in 1995 and proceeded to win three championships in a row. Jordan was a once in a lifetime talent, and even he failed with a further comeback down the track. I have eventually realized that comebacks in professional sport are a bad idea ninety-five percent of the time. This being the case, my greatest comebacks are the ones that are the most pathetic, the players who should have known their time had come a few seasons earlier.

Terry Lamb is perhaps the worst example of a comeback. After his Grand Final farewell in 1995, Lamb had gone out as a champion. Then with his beloved Bulldogs struggling midway through the 1996 season Lamb decided to lace them up again in an attempt to win back-to-back titles. Lamb found himself to be a step behind the pace, and struggled to have any impact over the Bulldogs results that year. The Bulldogs wound up missing the 8, and Lamb ended his career in a meaningless Round 22 clash, rather than a heroic Grand Final win eleven months earlier. While a great clubman, Lamb should have known when to say when.

Ken Nagas was a Canberra star that ended his career in 2002 after a barrage of knee injuries. In 2004, after two years of being out of the game the Canberra Raiders announced a legend was planning a mid season comeback. Ken Nagas was named in the Premier League side, and hopes were high. From all reports the comeback lasted the best part of ten minutes before Nagas limped from the field, never to return. The fact Nagas hadn’t shown any consistent form since 1997 should have been enough to convince him against making a comeback, but the comeback is a terrible thought that exists in the back of every athlete’s head. Nagas is saved somewhat by the fact that only keen league fans knew of his miserable comeback attempt.

When the Raiders announced the signing Andrew Dunneman in late 2006 many believed this would work out. The Raiders had just lost Jason Smith, another veteran who returned to the NRL with great success. However, Dunneman was never a player of Smith’s class, and it showed. Despite shortening up to 5001:1 to win the Dally M medal after a solid showing in round one against Manly, Dunneman’s days were numbered. He managed one more match in first grade before announcing his retirement. The most noteworthy aspect of Dunneman’s comeback was his stinging Bruce Willis similarity, and it is believed he has left to begin training as a stuntman. Surely he regrets ever leaving the ESL.

Matt Adamson had perhaps the most bizarre comeback midway through 2007. His comeback entailed him being named in the number twenty jersey for one match and never playing an actual game. It is unclear what motivations coach Matthew Elliott had in naming his trainer on an extended bench, and it may never be revealed. But this was surely a forgettable comeback, which somewhat mirrors Penrith’s 2007 season. You get the feeling this comeback was most likely a result of a particularly heavy Monday night drinking session where Adamson claimed he ‘still has it’. The problem was the drinking session went till midday Tuesday, and Elliott went straight to work to name the team. The most disappointing aspect of this comeback was that Adamson never got on the field, it would have been brilliant seeing a thirty-five year old forward (with the wear and tear of a fifty year old body) try and challenge the stars of today.

Comebacks are not always a bad idea; look at what Allan Langer did in the 2001 Origin series. But they are a bad idea for players who never really had the superstar factor in the first place; they can’t adjust to the changes in the game immediately like players of Langer’s calibre. Even Langer struggled with the week in and week out grind of the NRL in 2002. So guys, leave the comebacks to the once in a generation talents, they’re the only ones with any chance of pulling it off gracefully.

------------------------------------
743 words including title

Raider_69

Post Whore
Raider_69 for the Ninja's

Pride and Passion

It was a Sunday morning 2 weeks ago, after a quiet night in on the Saturday I decided to get up early to gear myself up for the do or die clash between my beloved Canberra Raiders and the might of the Canterbury Bulldogs.

As with the tradition of this clash, I pulled out the 1994 Grand final DVD and relived the highest high I’ve encountered supporting this great club, I also made my traditional phone call to the old man (a veteran Bulldogs fan) to let him know how badly his side were about to get beaten. In hindsight, it was a call I shouldn’t have made.

It was about 11am, I wondered into my room to do the final check… wallet, phone, keys, members scarf, hat and of course my lucky jeans. Content that I had done my part to appease the football gods, I made a bee line for Telstra Stadium. I had some heavy rock playing in the car to pump me up for the occasion.

We have a poor away record so I knew the lads would need every passionate Raiders voice spurring them on they could get. I arrived just before 12 and headed to Brewery to meet up with the contingent of the Raider’s faithful making the trek up the Hume.

Bad start, the boys are running late, so I head straight into the stadium to catch a glimpse of Jersey Flegg – the next generation of Raiders. A good result for the Raiders, as we put the Doggies away to the tune of 30-22.

A small gathering of Raiders fans begun filing into Bay 103, and The Raiders Army arrival added more passionate voices to the cause. The build up was relaxed, but you could feel the anticipation in the air. This was our Grand final and the fans were ready to do their part.

Kick off had finally come, with close to 100 strong, passionate Raiders fans eventually finding their way to bay 103 to lend their voice to the cause. We found our voice early through a try to our favourite son – Todd Carney.

But after that, things went horribly wrong, with some good possession and field position the dogs began to dominate and before we knew what hit us, our season was slipping away at 20-4.

This was the moment, the Raiders crowd lifted to drown out the Dogs fans, in hopes of sparking our side into action. They had two options, fight for their season, or surrender meekly to the Dogs and start planning Mad Monday.

The fans had made their decision; we battled on bravely, winning the battle in the stands, as we witnessed the once proud and mighty Raiders give in and let Sonny Bill run riot. The defence lacked commitment, the attack had no urgency, at various points defenders were actually running away from Bulldogs’ players! Pathetic!
In what was one of the more heartless displays by a Raiders side seen in recent memory, the fans showed their passion and sang and cheered till the bitter, depressing end.

As the final siren sounded, a hush fell over Bay 103, as we were left to contemplate another season gone.

Some were disappointed with the result, some were happy with the side’s progression over the year. I was angry, I can cop a loss when the players have done their best and give 100%, even if they get towelled up. What I can’t stand is when fans travel near and far to watch their side show not but a tenth of the pride and passion in the jersey the fans show in the stands.

Fast forward a week from that day, and Raiders fans are on a high after a thrilling win against the in form New Zealand Warriors, they were enthusiastic, they were committed and they showed pride for the green machine, whilst happy with the result I couldn’t help but wonder … where was this a week earlier when their season was on the line?

These blokes get paid big dollars to go out there and give it their all, whilst your run of the mill fan gladly forks over his hard earned to see them do it. We don’t expect a win every game, all we ask in return is that each player goes out and shows the same passion and commitment the fans do each week, is that too much to ask?

Word Count: 743

paulquinn49

Bench
PQ for Ninjas

How to make the game more confusing

Some of the rules in today’s game are a little confusing, well not really but how the NRL “fine tunes” or “reinterprets” them are. In recent times the grapple tackle, foot behind the line, grounding of the football, injury timeouts and the strip rules have been the subject of much talk and debate.

My biggest gripe is with the video ref using benefit of the doubt. It isn’t that hard to stay onside or put a ball over a line, under 6’s can even do it. So when it gets to the standard of the NRL played by grown men, why is almost, nearly, maybe good enough to justify giving points. Remember this is their profession, playing league, so if any doubt is in the mind of the referees how can you give it to them. Scoring a try is an obvious thing, but how can you reward doubt with points. It doesn’t make sense, especially as games can be swung by these decisions.

The games seem to be decided on the press of a button & it isn’t good enough. The commentators, crowd & even players are left gob smacked. Some decisions are made through sheer pathetic adjudicating, some go by benefit of the doubt and others are in the grey area of common sense and going by the book. Often with results that leave fans frustrated. You could be forgiven for thinking you were on the “Truman Show” and they were testing your mentality and watching the humorous reactions.

I have come up with multiple ideas to make the rules more confusing for the fans by using rules from other codes to sort the NRL.

The 1 on 1 strip reared its ugly head again with SBW recently turning the momentum of a game, resulting in St George being beaten by the Bulldogs. The timing of the strip was extremely close with another Bulldogs player coming into the tackle, it could have gone 2 ways. Penalty to St George, which was the popular vote in Wollongong or a try to break their hearts. A try was awarded to the Bulldogs.

I believe we should take a lesson from Netball who deal with this situation by having a “toss up”. This involves the players standing 1 metre apart, hands by their side waiting for the ref to distribute the ball. Whoever was quicker would grab the ball and a new set of 6 would start for that side.

I have already told you of my displeasure with the benefit of the doubt, but good news for the fans is that I am willing to meet them halfway, well a quarter of the way, with my “close enough is good enough” rule adopted from the AFL who implemented an extra set of posts just incase they miss the main objective. If the video referee was unable to rule a try, 1 point is to be awarded for coming close or just failing in general.

Players these days often get marched 10 meters for expressing dissatisfaction with a decision made by a referee, for example if Simon Woolford was penalised for holding down in the ruck and opposed the penalty elegantly by calling Jared Maxwell a “dickhead” the referee would mark his penalty an extra 10 metres from the point of the infringement. Under the new AFL based rule the point of the penalty would be an extra 50 metres up field. With the whistle being blown 5 times in the spirit of the AFL to confuse the crowd.

Maybe paper, scissor, rock could take the place of the coin toss, which often leaves us bored and wondering why a close up of the coin is shown when we cant even tell who called what, or what side of the coin is up due to the glare coming off the coin. Plus these men are captains of their football club, captains are tacticians and fearless.

A 50-50 call on a coin doesn’t do it for me, I propose a best of 8 paper,scissor,rock contest. Calling on skill and mind games before the game actually starts. Fans would see the pre contest contest happen on the big screen, perhaps calling out their own suggestions for kick off, direction running glory.

But why best of 8, simple. It doesn’t make sense, is confusing and could result in a draw, which would entail further competiton, that could be decided by…a coin toss?

Rules, don’t you love em!

750 words

Marshall Magic sits in the locker room looking down at the Souths jersey he is about to wear, the tears stream down his face and onto the jersey, thinking of the Souths legends before him to wear this same jersey. He slips the jersey on and runs out onto the field ready to take the kickoff

---------------------------
The Only Crisis is Form
What is wrong with Brian Smith? He has ousted all the dead wood at Newcastle, namely the “Can’t win without Joey” crew, and all the Novocastrians want him out. He has cut loose a fair few club juniors (Josh Perry, Adam Woolnough, Brad Tighe and to a lesser extent Clint Newton) and brought in some outside talent (Ben Cross, Wes Naiqama, and other talented juniors) yet the whole city wants his head on a platter.

The Novocastrians really seem to love their league, living or dieing by the Knights performances. In past seasons the Newcastle club have been a very strong and been in the top 8 a fair bit, but that changed in season 2004, when in the first month, inspirational halfback and captain Joey Johns suffered another injury, and missed the whole season, with the Knights missing the 8 for the first time since the competition ran under the name NRL.

2005 was a worse story, the club, taking more than half the season to win a game before coming home with a wet sail. This end period was not surprising due to the return of Joey and his domination in State of Origin. He put this form into his club footy, and almost ran down Jonathon Thurston from no where for the Dally M Medal, falling 1 point short, despite missing half the season. The brilliant seasons finish was too little too late, the Knights ran last. The off season broke the news that Michael Hagen would leave the club at the end of season 06 and be replaced by Parramatta coach Brian Smith in a bizarre coach swap.

The following year bigger things were expected, and the Knights kicked off the season in red hot form, winning 4 from 5, before running into competition leaders and a red hot Cowboys side, in a thriller that the Cowboys won and both sides had the wind knocked out of them. This was one of very few season Joey remained injury free, and the Knights were firmly entrenched in the top 8. With 3 rounds left, Joey gave a touch judge a massive spray, and was suspended for 2 weeks (a last round bye ousted him till the finals). In this time a local junior by the name of Jarrod Mullen stepped up, and lifted the Knights to back to back wins, and a top 4 spot, before bombing out 50-6 to the eventual premiers in week 2 of the finals, with key players Danny Buderus (suspension) and Steve Simpson (injury) missing.

Season 2007 begins, and enter Brian Smith. Brian was given one goal-Set up the club for life after Joey. Joey was expected to retire post 2007, but in another turn for the club he lasted 5 rounds, only playing in 2, and in one was KO’d in the first 10 minutes. The Knights soldiered on, and managed to hold a solid 50% win loss record for most of the season. Then, ala 2005, injury struck the club badly, and key players received lengthy stints on the sidelines.

This has seen the Knights slump down to second last and a ‘crisis’ arise in Newcastle. The most recent embarrassment has been a 46-12 defeat at the hands of the wooden spoon favourites, the Panthers, along with many other cricket score losses. Brian has been abused for tearing the club apart in preparing for life after Joey. Many of the players cut were players who have been at the club since 2004, and the beginning of the Knights fall from grace. They have made the finals once now in 4 years, and in the three they missed out Joey has missed extended periods of the year. It’s hard to blame Smithy for this as when former coach Michael Hagen was under similar circumstances he got a wooden spoon. Now Hagen is in the top 8 with a Parramatta side built a lot by Brian Smith, and to quote Jason Taylor, Brian Smith is fixing what Hagen “f***ed up.”

While 2007 is a forgettable season, the Knights line up for season 2008 is a good one with Kurt Gidley, Jarrod Mullen, Luke Walsh and Danny Buderus playing the main roles with talented players around them. If the Knights remain injury free, and play to their potential, the club is a serious top 4 side for season 2008, and there will be more rejoicing from the city of Newcastle. Life after Joey won’t be a problem.
---------------

749 words

Master Vippo

Juniors
Master Vippo for the Rabbitohs

Dogs of War Preach a Lesson of Peace

Recently I was at a wedding in Adelaide, where I met a friend of my father’s. I chatted to this man about his interesting job, and as I gathered information, and heard his stories, I thought-this is a story that should be shared.

If you watch a Bulldogs game, you will see this man. He is around fifty, has a beard and will be sitting with the Bulldogs’ officials, wearing a Bulldogs official suit. You may be hard pressed however to find out who he is, and what it is he does. He is the club chaplain, and while to many of you that may sound like an extraneous role, with little relevance today, it is a difficult role, and one that is required by the Rugby League Players Association.

My family moved to Broken Hill in 1986, where my father took over the Baptist Church ministry there, from Ken Clendenning. Ken then moved to Orange, before returning to Sydney and taking up a teaching position at Morling Theological College. In the early 1990s, Ken began to pursue the possibility of taking up a chaplaincy position with the Canterbury Bulldogs, which was a revolutionary move at the time. He had several meetings with the then coach Chris Anderson, who encouraged the idea, on one condition, that Ken was a Bulldogs supporter. I can tell you by the blue and white tie and Bulldogs pendant he wore to the wedding, he’s a diehard fan.

One of the more difficult things about being a chaplain for a football club is relevance and being able to relate to the players. Ken trains with the coaches to keep his fitness up, and I think is as glad as everyone else to see the back of Billy Johnstone.

Following the rape scandal that shook, both the Bulldogs, and the NRL in 2004, Steve Folkes asked Ken if there is anything that could be done to help get the players head’s back on the job. Ken spent three days with the players, carrying out workshops and seminars which helped them deal with the intense pressure they were under, and to fuse together as a group. As most Rugby League fans will remember the Bulldogs went on the win the premiership that year, which many say they should have won the year before. Well the Canterbury club and the players attributed much of their success to Ken, and his counseling both on those three days, and throughout the season. You may think ‘that’s not true, why haven’t I even heard of this Ken bloke if he was such an integral part of their team?’ Well it may not be publicized, but the club awarded Ken a premiership ring for his part in their ultimately successful campaign, he showed me.

Being a Christian teacher, you may think that it would be difficult for a chaplain to relate to Hazem El-Mazri, who is a devout Muslim. This however is not true. When the Bulldogs travel, Ken and Hazem often room together and they get on fabulously. When Ken first met Hazem, they had a chat, and discussed religion. They are able to respect one another for the way they are true to what they believe; they are able to build their friendship on this mutual respect, helping promote a positive atmosphere in the club. Ken told me that there are many Rugby League players who are either openly or privately religious, many of these being islander players, who pray with Ken before each game. Ken told me that problems arise when someone is phony, or doesn’t hold true to their beliefs, from which the roots of disrespect and disharmony grow.

While I’m not a Bulldogs supporter, in-fact they are in my bottom two least favourite teams with Brisbane, but I believe that the culture and respect that has been fostered in that club is something we all can learn from. Christians and Muslims are historically mortal enemies, yet Hazem and Ken have shown, that a relationship, even a friendship can be built, if foundered on respect and trust, something that our society so desperately needs. Living this way may not happen by accident, but if we work at it, maybe we can learn from this example, and all live together with a little more harmony.

Who said Rugby League was just a game?

734 words...apparently

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
TiTTieS_[CNTDN] takes the field with another inspired Harry Potter like story. 750 words below the line.
-------------------------------------------------------
Sean Hampstead and the Chambers of Secrets.

Sitting down in his chair at the meeting, Sean was greeted by his long time friend, Steve. “I brought you something, mate,” said Steve to Sean. Steve handed a little brown package, neatly taped up with clear Scotch brand tape, to Sean. “Robert’s new initiative to improve refereeing, especially with the finals coming up,” Steve continued.

Sean opened the package and pulled out a Fox 40 Explorer Camouflage whistle. “Unique, just like me,” laughed Sean upon reading the text on the whistle’s packaging.

“Indeed it is,” agreed Steve with a cheesy smile. “Bobby boy thinks it’ll serve two purposes. First that it’s supposed to be the best on the market. Other thing it does is serve to remind us that if we screw up again this year, we’ll be having another boot camp in January.”

Glancing around the room, he saw all the other referees surveying their very own Fox 40. Most pleased was Tony, who thought he would now surely, and finally, lose the tag of shrillest pitch amongst the elite refs. And so it would appear that Robert was on to something. Just then, Robert strutted into the room like the victor of a wrestling contest with an out of control boar. “Fellas, I trust Steve delivered the new whistles to you all? Good stuff. The idea for the whistles came when some little bastards were blowing them outside my apartment the other day. Really drove me up the wall.”

“Tony, vanity thy name is,” Robert continued as he looked up and saw the Bill Murray look alike swapping his new whistle for the locket around his neck. Raptures of laughter spilled from the room then silence fell once more.

“You’re all aware that with only two rounds to go before the finals, the pressure is on. Only 4 places in week one and once you’re there it’s hard to keep your spot, even harder to force your way back in if you miss the first week of finals. So work hard, study the rules and interpretations, and watch the videos every night if you even want to consider yourself a chance….. and that should be ALL OF YOU TONY. What the hell did I just say?”

“These whistles are great, aren’t they boss!” said Tony, dreamily.

With a frown, Robert turned back to the rest of the group. “Anyway, the whistles are here for you and I expect you to use them……..”

Some time later, once the meeting had finished and the referees were leaving the meeting room at headquarters, Robert came up to Steve and said “Mate, Coogee pub in 10. See ya there.” Steve nodded is head in silent understanding.

10 minutes later at the Coogee local.

“Job’s done, is it?”

“Yeah, Bob. Too easy.” Steve replied.

“The Fidelio charm is on the rookies’ whistles?” asked Robert.

“Yep, yep. Stuck it on Gav’s, Benny’s, Jarred’s and Jase’s just in case.”

“Nice, and Paul and Tony. They got the anti-preconceivement charms?”

“All three of them boss.”

“Shayne, you gave him the Trent-reducto charm?”

“Certainly did.”

“And most importantly….. Sean. What did you give his whistle?” asked Robert, starting to looked pleased.

“Occulus reducto, fortified, Confundme, also fortified, and everything the other fellas received. Everyone got what you asked for. Just not sure how this can have zero impact on the Stone of Preconceived Ideas?” queried Steve, a drop of sweat starting to roll down his forehead.

“Don’t worry about that. I have my best security personnel down in the capital looking after that. You see, when it’s inside the stadium there, it’s at its strongest. Nothing can touch it, mate.”

“What about the reputation of our profession? Won’t it suffer with some bad refereeing performances?” said Steve, evidently still concerned.

“Not to worry, Steve,” came Robert’s swift reply. “The Stone and whistles are tied together. The personalised markings on each whistle were engraved using a fragment of the stone. While ever I control the stone, I control the power it has over their whistles and thus their performance.”

Sean, who had just arrived at the pub, caught the last thoughts of Robert, who was just as unaware as Steve was about his sudden arrival. Making quickly for the exit, Sean slipped out in to the fresh night air. The only thought on his mind was to replace his whistle with a near replica of his own, unique Fox 40 Explorer whistle. The rest, as they say, will be history.

jamesgould

Juniors
The Dying Days.

Well, it’s that time of the year again. The grand final is approaching us, and if you are a player calling it quits in the wonderful game of rugby league, the victory lap is the only place you want to be.

Anything else is a disappointment. Anything else won’t be the perfect send-off that you and your fans were daring to dream of. Will it?

Well, that’s where I just cannot agree. To go out in glory with a premiership under the belt – let’s call it the Shane Webcke Departure – may go down a treat with the Hollywood scriptwriters. But it nags at the back of my mind … could he have gone one more season? Could he have gone two more seasons? When still clearly one of the elite props in the game – why call it quits when there’s still so much to offer?

Now I’m not having a go at Shane Webcke, that couldn’t be further from the point. Of course he made his decision, it was the right one for him, and he is no doubt ecstatic with how things turned out. But here are a few other exits from the game. Inglorious ones, in the eyes of many. Departures not befitting such brilliant talents. But from my point of view, no less worthy or grand than “the Webcke”.

Graham Langlands went out in famously ignominious circumstances in 1976. Having had a notoriously shocking match in the 1975 grand final, Changa retired quietly a couple of games into the following season. Citing a loss of passion for the game, in my view, Langlands can at least say he was in no doubt when the final hooter sounded on his career. I’ve got to admire a person who gives their chosen field more than they’ve got – Langlands by the end was running on below empty.

Another who went out with less than a fairytale finish was Rod Silva. Having played 18 matches in 2000, Silva was told by the Bulldogs that new signing Luke Patten was their fullback for 2001. Instead of retiring, Silva took a reduced contract and played ’01 in reserves. His commitment was rewarded when he played the final match of the regular season in the top grade on the wing, scoring a try to boot! His last season was not spent playing like he had never played before, but passing on his craft to young players in reserve grade. It’s a departure I’ve always thought highly of as a rugby league fan – putting the club above himself, he showed a lack of arrogance and big-headedness to willingly go down to the lower tier.

Terry Lamb is another Bulldog who fits into this category. He had the opportunity to go out with a grand final win in 1995, but threw it all away to come back and “help out some mates” in 1996. Canterbury had lost Dean Pay, Jason Smith, Jim Dymock and Jarrod McCracken from their 1995 squad, and found themselves low on depth and experience the following year. Lamb opted to make a return – probably quite certain that in doing so he would “tarnish” his great send-off in 1995. But coming back to help out your mates is something that should never be looked upon in that light. He didn’t hit the same heights as the previous season, but he did take Canterbury to a respectable tenth place.

The final player is the most recent – Andrew Johns. Many a time following his retirement I read that it was such a shame that he didn’t go out with a premiership – “the way he deserved”. Andrew Johns’ career was built on giving 100% despite physical obstacles. He overcame broken necks, backs, serious knee injuries and punctured lungs, among others. It was a fitting way to go, in my eyes, that there was finally an injury he couldn’t overcome. If Langlands lost reason to play another match, Johns lost the ability. And when I think of Joey – that’s fitting. I can’t imagine Johns not wanting to keep on playing - not being physically able to, I can handle.

So as the great September clashes take shape, and a winner emerges to reign supreme for 2007, in my opinion you shouldn’t feel too sorry for those who get knocked out along the way. Fitting finales come in all shapes and sizes – lifting the NRL trophy overhead is just one in a long line of those.

750 words, title included.

Pistol

Coach
Trotting out for this crucial finals game, Pistol throws a cut out pass to his outside man

sm_souths%202007%20away%20jersey%20-%20adult.jpg

Bargain Hunt

It’s a show known to many United Kingdom viewers. For free to air viewers in Australia, it airs on channel 9 and for the Foxtel viewers it’s on the Lifestyle channel. It’s a show that is hosted by David Dickinson and later Tim Wonnacott, which pits two teams of two players against each other. The aim of the game is to go around antique fairs, spot the “diamonds in the rough” and to auction them off for. It’s a show that I quite enjoy watching. Looking around in the world of Rugby League, I can see the many similarities between it and the world of antiquing.

The goal is the same. The main purpose is to find the next gem and to pick it up for a song and possibly down the line, have it valued for a dance. You have the experts going around to grounds to watch the games and scope out the players. Coaches and scouts analyse the strengths and weaknesses of each. Once their decision is made, they haggle and bargain to get the best deal.

Look at the Penrith Panthers. John Lang has been long known for unearthing diamonds in the rough and picking up a “Picasso” for a penny. During his days with the Cronulla Sharks, he picked up a few players for a song. David Peachey is one player that comes to mind. Playing for Dubbo, Peachey made his way to the Shire to ply his trade with the Sharks. Pretty soon he was on everyone’s radar with his long gangly runs and electrifying game. Peachey would go on to play for the Australian Super League side and one game for New South Wales in 2000.

Paul Green is another one of Lang’s gems. Green was running around in the Brisbane Easts in the Queensland competition. Lang saw his potential and brought him to Sydney At his peak, Green was neck and neck with Allan Langer for the Queensland halfback role. Green would later go on to play State of Origin for Queensland and indeed line up with “Alfie” in game 3 of the 2001 Origin series to help Queensland thump the Blues and take the title. to play for Cronulla.

Then there is Preston Campbell. A household name nowadays but in his earlier years, he was somewhat of an unknown quantity on the wing and at fullback. Starting out with the Chargers, Campbell made little impact as the Gold Coast side folded. Little “Presto” made his way to Cronulla where after some time in the lower grades, Lang polished the little fella and set him loose in first grade in 2001. After the return of David Peachey from injury, Campbell’s form was so dynamic that Lang moved him to halfback. It’s like moving your valuable vase from the dining room table to the mantle piece, so that more attention is drawn to it. History went on to show that Campbell won the Dally M Player of the Year for 2001. Then in 2003, he would reunite with Lang at Penrith to help guide the Panthers to the NRL title.

But as every bargain hunter knows, not every artefact will shine and glisten. But that doesn’t mean that the piece isn’t going to be as valuable. Take 2006 for example and the Brisbane Broncos. Wayne Bennett plucked Shane Perry from obscurity. Perry was a bit part player at Canterbury at best. He made a slow start to the 2006 season and wasn’t going so well. Then once the finals rolled around, Perry came into his own. He nailed down the halfback role and was proving a very good foil for Darren Lockyer. Perry’s performances certainly repaid the faith Bennett showed in him as Brisbane went onto win the 2006 NRL premiership. Not a bad investment on Bennett’s part.

Then I think of Joel Clinton. He’s like the rare picture of Dennis Law and George Best in the lounge at my local pub. It’s full of potential but has a few flaws in it which brings down its value. Clinton’s attitude is his main draw back. He has constantly been on the verge of displaying his talents. His problem is he already thinks he’s done enough and that’s not the case by a long shot. But like the Best and Law picture, the flaws can be minimised and his true game can show through. Time will tell at Brisbane.

Not a bad day at the antique fair, ay bargain hunters.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

748 words including the title

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
Mr. F runs onto the field, for a last ditch effort in this do or die game.

Andrew Johns: Man or Myth?

uljohn10.jpg

Gather around children, I’m about to regale you all with a story about a warrior, one who had unparalleled talent, a leader who was praised beyond any other. This is the story of Andrew ‘Joey’ Johns, soon to be a Rugby League ‘Immortal.’ In a country where our religion of choice is sport, Andrew Johns is the closest thing we have to a real live Jesus Christ. Instead of performing miracles on people, he performed miracles with an oval-shaped ball, he didn’t part the Red Sea, but he has parted many defensive lines, it’s not hard to be devoted to Andrew Johns. In fact, it’s almost impossible to disrespect Johns; not because of his prodigious skill on the Rugby League field or his amiable personal character, but due his standing within the media, particularly Channel 9 and the Daily Telegraph. Malcolm X believes “The media’s the most powerful entity on earth, because they control the minds of the masses,” this is clearly evident in 21st Century Australia’s hagiographic perception of Andrew Johns.

The concept of the ‘Man and the Myth’ was brought to my attention through my study of the presidency of the infamous John Fitzgerald Kennedy (JFK.) There is a trend in historiography which tends to dictate writings about any certain period of time. In the case of JFK, there have been three schools of thought. First, was the ‘Camelot’ way it thinking, which arose immediately after his assassination (1960s), this chose to glorify the personal character and leadership of JFK. About twenty years later, the ‘Revisionists’ tended to unravel ‘hidden truths’ which critiqued JFK and his presidency. In the new millennium a new school of thought has emerged. The historians at the forefront of ‘Post-Revisionism’ render a more objective analysis, which take into account JFK’s successes and failures as the President of the United States, but tends to disregard the events of his personal life.

I imagine the most honourable referee Antonius (a little bit of flattery never hurt anyone) and other interested readers must be thinking; “that’s all good and well, but what does all this stuff about JFK have to do with Andrew Johns?” Well, I have drawn comparisons between the ‘Myth’ about JFK following his assassination, and the pro-Johns euphoria that has emerged immediately after his unexpected retirement.

Historians such as Arthur M. Schlesinger and Theodore Sorenson; were at the forefront of the ‘Camelot’ group. These two served as senior counsels to JFK, therefore their publications served to feed and enhance the public’s favourable attitude towards their idol. This is similar to what’s happening now in Australia, except instead of books, Channel 9 and The Daily Telegraph serve as the primary mediums that broadcast a saintly image of Andrew Johns. Some of Channel 9’s Rugby League staff, particularly those on the panel of ‘The Footy Show’ have personal affiliations with Andrew Johns, with the most obvious being his brother Matthew Johns and good friend Paul Harragon. M. Johns and Harragon replicated Schlesinger and Sorenson’s efforts even before ‘Joey’s’ retirement, often introducing him as the “world’s best player.” However, they also publicised Andrew Johns’ personal character. An example of this is Joey “forgiving” Sonny Bill Williams in his article column in the Daily Telegraph.

The ‘Revisionists’ arrived 20 years after JFK’s assassination and were led by those who had no affiliation with JFK, capitalising on social political conditions to impose their negative subjectivity. The Rugby League equivalent would be retired Queensland players reflecting upon Andrew Johns in twenty years time, possibly on a Brisbane-centric ‘The Footy Show’ (since Rugby League’s heartland is shifting to Qld.) I predict that these Rugby League ‘Revisionists’ would focus on Johns’ famous feud with Gus Gould and label him as an arrogant self promoter, or something similar. Eventually ‘Post-Revisionism’ would surface, which may finally provide the community with an objective assessment of Andrew Johns, the ‘Man.’

According to Einstein; “unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” In contemporary society, that ‘authority’ is the media; therefore the populus is constantly in a state of manipulation as certain truth is promoted. In relation to Andrew Johns, the media promotes this ‘Myth’, which is absorbed into the community’s thought processes. However, as the portrayal of JFK shows, there is hope for Johns to be viewed from a fairly objective point of view in future, revealing his supreme skills whilst not elevating him to a god-like status.

735 words without including title.

Sources: http://en.wikiquote.org/

Bumble

First Grade
*The Rabbits are inside the 30 metre line now! They go up the middle again, 4 tackle now...back with Bumble, he snaps for the point!! It hits the upright and it's....*

Faraway, So Close..

---
20/8/2007: Ben Rogers chips for the corner on the second tackle, practically right in front of my seat on the 20m line on the Eastern Side of Telstra Stadium. Chris Hicks is slow to turn, Fetuli Talanoa gets around him with consummate ease and before he even dives on the pill, the Red and Green faithful knew we were home. I rise to my feet, arms high in the air like a prize fighter, screaming in sheer joy. Seventeen years old. I wasn’t even born when we last played finals footy. To be just one win away from that forbidden fruit is a position that is…well, foreign to me.

In saying that, I look to the seat next to me, where my 65 year old grandfather is slightly more subdued than myself, but still grinning ear to ear. I’ve been going to games with him since I was 9, in 1999. It’s better than going with my mates, they’re for drinking and partying with. But my pop, he’s one of the most intelligent critics of the game I can think of, including the ‘experts’ on Fox and Nine. He’s seen it all – The grand final wins, the wooden spoons, the raids by Manly and other clubs to steal our players in the 70’s, the Clive Churchill era. He was even there at that famous 1965 grand final in which the SCG was packed to the rafters.

In any case, it’s been so long since our last finals appearance, let alone a grand final that this stalwart of the game is just as excited and expectant of what our next two weeks could hold as the young schoolboy next to him. You can see how much our success means to all supporters of the club, both young and old. The ridicule that we’ve endured from the fans of other teams, both when we were excluded from the competition and when we made it back, only to be repeatedly flogged from pillar to post. The humiliation of coach sackings in pre-seasons, 3 year contracts to very average players and other administrative gaffes, not to mention the complete stigma that was omnipresent in players when deciding on a new club. From 2002-06, for most of them it was a case of “anywhere but Souths”.

But there’s a change in the wind. Jason Taylor is in the running for Coach of the Year. The prodigal son Craig Wing is returning, and we could potentially have the next great NRL hooker in Isaac Luke – who incidentally, looks a dead ringer to our last young star, the aforementioned Wing, perhaps as a reminder to the last time we looked anywhere near as promising as we do now… 1999. We didn’t make the finals that year, but we were clearly moving forwards. But, as history shows, the club was torn from its adoring fans and thrust into nothingness, and when returned, was a broken shadow of its former self.

Until now.

The Wests Tigers, as well as our most bitter rivals the Roosters stand between us and the peak of our Everest. As Souths fans we’re used to dealing with disappointment, but the goal is now so close, we can taste it. A red and green return to finals football, something that hasn’t been realised by our fans for the better part of two decades. We need to make that one last, giant leap to achieve our goal. For some, it seems like a natural progression that we will beat the Tigers or the Roosters after our performance against Manly, but as any football fan knows, nothing is certain. In my opinion, finals football is still a distant dream.

In saying that, there’s no way in the world I think we won’t be there. Just a deep-seated notion that tells me…it’s finally our time. It’s finally time for every Souths supporter under the age of 20 to discover just how euphoric seeing your team in the finals is, myself included. In saying that, no matter what happens from here, this season will be looked upon as a major turning point in the history of the South Sydney Rugby League Club. It was the year we became a slick, professional outfit and great ambassadors for the game, as well as the first year in a long time that our on-field performances have never at any stage, been embarrassing.

But just to be really greedy, let’s go after the finals.

----

750 words between the lines.

Latest posts