What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Misanthrope's Significant Others (Season 1, coming soon to MTV)

Misanthrope

Staff member
Update

One continent to go. South America continues to elude me. North America continues to be the source of most of my lovin'.

So, the American lass and I broke up after almost two years together. Amicable split that included a somewhat bittersweet and romantic 'break-up tour' through New Zealand and Fiji. We said our goodbyes on a beach in Fiji. Tearful stuff.

She's now engaged with a step-daughter :crazy:

I moved back to South Korea and had a string of one night flings. Ticked Europe off my list thanks to a couple of obliging Poms.

Dated a crazy girl from Seattle for a few months. Amazing in the sack, but a genuinely horrible person when I look back at how she treated me. Mind games, emotional blackmail, back-handed compliments... the works. Well shot of her.

Came back to Australia in May and had a lengthy drought. Got borderline raped by a girl from eHarmony who was living in Ian Roberts' old apartment. Had a whole bunch of awkward dates on eHarmony before ending the drought with a random Aussie girl off of OK Cupid. Not my finest hour.

28 and that's my first Australian girl. Sweet Lord.

Looking forward to getting back to the traveling thing so I can sow some more of the wild oats.

Or, y'know, fall in love.

Last edited:

Misanthrope

Staff member
Update!

Been dating (another) American girl for the past 5-6 months. Went to visit her in the US and then she moved to China so we could keep seeing one another.

Since getting here she's decided that she dislikes China and loves America, so she's going to be heading home when we do our Cuba/Costa Rica/Mexico tour in Jan/Feb and I'll be flying solo again.

Still undecided as to what 2013 holds for me life wise. May renew here, may go back to South Korea where the pickings are better, may check out Japan or Thailand or Turkey for a lark, or may (although very unlikely) return to Australian shores.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
28 pages and I must say, an interesting read. Did it all at work (aka play time) today.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I don't labour under the illusion my love life is worthy of vicarious experience. Happy if itgives a chuckle or two.

Misanthrope

Staff member
American lass looks like heading back to the US in March, leaving me free to pursue a life of casual sex and drunken silliness if I can find:

- Guys under 40 to drink with
- A way to worm my way into the community of early 20s European and American students here

Misanthrope

Staff member
The former. China isn't for everybody, especially if they haven't traveled before. It's dirty, loud, crowded, and one of the less westernized Asian countries. I definitely think South Korea or Japan is a better 'first stop' for a first time traveler.

There are, of course, other factors. We want different things long term and you can't put off reconciling the two indefinitely. Someday you gotta shit or get off the pot. I'm nowhere near ready for a marriage or kids - nor is she ready for that with me - but that's what she wants long term while I want to avoid real life for as long as humanly possible.

Something's gotta give and drawing it out only makes it harder on both of us in the long run. Doesn't mean we can't enjoy the rest of her time here though. Headed to Hainan - China's 'Hawaii' over Christmas and SE Asia in Jan/Feb. Aiming to take a few weeks off after her contract ends to tour China before I send her on her merry way.

Unless, of course, something changes drastically. I've learned not to try and predict how a woman will act.

move to the US!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Be my friend!

I'd actually love that. Living in the US for a year is a dream of mine. Trying to find some random to marry me so I can live there :lol:

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Intriguing. You lead a fascinating life.

Gotta ask, though, why you want to avoid 'real life' for as long as possible?

Misanthrope

Staff member
It doesn't suit me and, being frank, I'm not very good at it :lol: Real jobs bore me and I end up either quitting or slacking off until I'm moved on. I can't focus on anything mundane, which is pretty much all my degree qualifies me for.

I could go back to University and do my teaching degree, as that is work I actually enjoy - but that would mean finding a way to afford living in Australia again.

That and the fact Australian girls and I just don't click at all. I've dated/slept with more Americans, Canadians, and Poms than I have Aussies. Australia is in the same league as South Africa and South Korea :crazy:

Drew-Sta

Staff member
The affordable living in Aus is something I get. I spent 12 months in Tonga with the wife and lived on 20k for the year for both of us. We were probably still ahead of 99% of the population too; could've cut back more but then we did do some travel and tried to enjoy ourselves.

I think you have the Aussie girls thing a little wrong, if I may pass my opinion. Expats tend to get laid far easier than not. It's the 'party' and 'only live once' attitude that prevails in a travel environment. People love that. You don't get that when you're living in your country of origin as people not travelling are interested in the future; people who do travel are not (or less interested, I should suppose).

Anyway. Intriguing.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Oh, I don't doubt you're right. The expat lifestyle is addictive and you're in an environment where you're automatically surrounded by people with some similar personality traits (open minded, likes to travel, away from home) to kick start things.

It's not that I don't like Australian girls, although I do think they have a sense of entitlement that I've yet to encounter anywhere else; it's just I feel far more confident in the expat environment. I'm not really built for small talk in bars. I'm a short doses kind of treat, as evidenced by my lack of long term relationships :lol:

Latest posts