What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Misfits' inspire Sharks

cronullashark

Juniors
'Misfits' inspire Sharks
By James Hooper
June 29, 2006

SHARKS coach Stuart Raper last night lauded his collection of rejects, misfits and unheralded juniors who are silently spearheading the outfit towards smashing a 39-year premiership drought.

Ridiculed and written off after losing four of their opening five games, Raper has paid tribute to the unsung Sharks who include five stars cut by rival NRL clubs before finding a second chance at the club. Utility Brett Kearney was shown the door at South Sydney and still has the majority of his wages paid by the Rabbitohs.
Goalkicking winger Luke Covell was dumped by premier Wests Tigers but was last night rewarded with a new two-year deal at the Sharks.
Rookies Luke Douglas and Beau Scott slipped out of the system at
St George-Illawarra before finding a new home in the shire.
Hooker Kevin Kingston was axed by the Sharks at the end of 2004 before joining Newtown, where his form was so impressive he carved out a new contract at Cronulla.
"We gave some of these guys another opportunity and they've rewarded our good faith with some outstanding form over the last couple of months," Raper said.
"At the beginning of the year we were probably getting harshly judged when we lost a few games by only small margins but through that tough period all of these blokes really put their hands up.

"There's a lot of belief and confidence in the players that they can do the job and a lot of these guys have really made the most of it.
"Our local juniors just keep getting better too, the likes of Reece Williams and Dave Simmons, they're going from strength to strength."
After losing key forwards Jason Stevens to retirement and Danny Nutley to England the Sharks were expected to struggle this season, drifting to $51 in premiership betting with SportsTAB after a poor start.
The forecast worsened when prize recruit Ben Ross was ruled out for the year in round eight but after winning eight of their past nine games the Sharks are now $8 to win a watershed NRL premiership.
Raper intends to use the examples of what winning maiden premierships did for Newcastle, Canberra and Penrith as the Sharks edge closer to the business end of the season.
"I can't change history books, we haven't won a title - but I do know every year the club is different," Raper said.
"History is the black and white of what's read or said, it's not what's done. We'll be drawing on what we can do, not what's happened in the past.
"Obviously it would be very exciting to be the first team to win the premiership in this area."
Typifying the relaxed atmosphere at Sharks training yesterday, chief executive Greg Pierce strolled up to winger Covell during the session and shook hands on a new two-year contract.
"It was a chance for a fresh start for me coming to (the Sharks). I knew I had to take the opportunity I'd been given and run with it," Covell said.

The Daily Telegraph

ghoti

Bench
thomo_shark said:
I believe:)
Hahaha...I have to admit there is that feeling to this season. Was speaking to a few Tigers and Dogs supporters the other night and they both said they got a 'feeling' about this time of the season. In saying that...so did my other mate...a Parra supporter.

I love all misfits!

In all serious what the article shows is that if you show a bit of faith in some players and back them rewards are to be had. Many players have the talent they just need to be shown some encouragement and given a chance. The dragons are an excellent example of a club doing this.

From the outside looking in this was something i have been critical about in regards to our club but to its credit we seems to be improving in this area.

Thomo.

First Grade
KINGA standing in front, is this a sign...future club man and club captain?????? what a story(fluffiness consuming thomo) had to read it again:lol:

I know he's probably baited for certain comments by the media but Raper desperately needs to stop talking about winning the Premiership and reinforce that we havent achieved ANYTHING yet.

Continually water down expectations so the players are motivated to over achieve. Sure the end result is his mind but it should be at the back of his head rather than the forefront of his thoughts. There is nothing to be gained by burdening the players with the expectation of being the first Cronulla side to win the comp.

Every week I read Raper talk us up more and more and can't help but feel each time that we are one step closer to the inevitable yearly crash.

No doubt I'll be blasted for being negative but I am into spinning and I think communications is one aspect of the club that could be improved. Otherwise things are going swimmingly.

carcharias

Immortal
Maybe if he talks about it enough by the time the media decide to bring it up again ...as they do during the finals...the team might be oblivious to all that talk.

Lance Thompson
Ben Ross
& Tevita Latu are also players who were discarded by their respective clubs.

Well actually we ended up discarding Latu as well.
:lol:

The Nulla #2

Bench
horn_194_500.jpg

givmeabeer

Juniors
I always knew we had a team to give the comp at shake this year. Just keep on going as we are week by week then we'll see what September bering us ..

carcharias

Immortal
I dont reckon my heart could take it.

I have serious heart rate issues during standard club games.

a GF would bloody kill me....I would have to take the edge off with something.....
I heroin is pretty fun.

dolph_sharkphin

Juniors
I been waiting so long to see us win the big one. Some years when we were so close (couple of times in the 90's) with what seemed a better team than we have now I thought this is it. This is the big one. But nothing. So for this year I say lets not get ahead of ourselves. Yes we are traveling very well right now with our team of "misfits". But lets take this one step at a time, and if and when we win, I will go and shout in the street and everyone will know. I will be so annoying people will wanna avoid discussions about league with me. But until then, I'm going to remain calm and not get ahead of myself.

Vossy

Bench
shows you dnt need super stars to win matches....in roosters case super stars cant even do that

Quigs

Immortal
0-top5.jpg

Being one of the been there had it done to us society.... I will wait to late September to get overly excited.... sh!t it is only the end of the financial year.

I wish Supercoach would stop with the winning the comp in June rubbish.

just plan it a couple of weeks at at time..... let the other 'mouths' get all the attention. We dont need it.

You guys might remember a recent Italian diving champion that stopped another team dead in thier tracks.... who were on their way to history.

We've been intercoursed over the years... we've been Fultoned, Hollywooded, hanleyed, and throw in injuries and plan over conifidence.......

So my advice for what its worth, take it - but take it easy. And shut Up Stu.

Cheers
Quigs

pogo

Juniors
settle down quigs i saw a bloke at the kremlin the other night that was the spitting image of harold holt!!!

Vossy

Bench
kinga will be future captain...also covell,simmo n dougy..future legends..they will get better and better