What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitchell Pearce agrees to join Knights

Spot On

Coach
Haa anyone seen Gal's comments on Pearce's move to the Knights? He basically trashes the Knights.

That merkin needs to STFU.

I'd be happy to take a bet that they'll finish ahead of the Sharks for a few consecutive seasons come 2019 onwards.

It's not even out of the question for 2018.

Sounds like the same type of comments a fair few people made about Kalyn Ponga when he signed with Newcastle. Many said he had just thrown his career away.

Not too much noise was made about it though.

Knightmare

Coach
I'm not happy with the signing of Pearce for two main reasons-

1- For the money the Knights have spent on him, they'd want a halfback who takes charge in high pressure games or clutch situations, and he's shown neither of these qualities. He may be part of a team that makes the finals, but he doesn't have the ability of Cronk, Locky, Joey or Freddy to step up when the pressure is on.

2- He was reluctant to leave the Roosters, a successful club with plenty of rep players around him to rely on. The Knights are not a successful club and there will be much greater expectation on him. How long is his heart going to be in it for?

Saint Doc

Coach
Waiting........waiting...............any day now......

692EE621-7C10-46CB-A03D-42B8C128F8A1.jpg

Iafeta

Referee

1- For the money the Knights have spent on him, they'd want a halfback who takes charge in high pressure games or clutch situations, and he's shown neither of these qualities. He may be part of a team that makes the finals, but he doesn't have the ability of Cronk, Locky, Joey or Freddy to step up when the pressure is on.

2- He was reluctant to leave the Roosters, a successful club with plenty of rep players around him to rely on. The Knights are not a successful club and there will be much greater expectation on him. How long is his heart going to be in it for?

In relation to this...

1. Forget Origin for a second. He's a highly consistent and successful NRL halfback who has delivered in the finals. There are GOAT types like Cronk and Thurston, but they are nearing retirement so I think Pearce is a good get and not a wham bam thank you ma'am type.

2. In fairness, he has some really good pieces to work with at Newcastle. Lillyman, Guerra, Ponga, Watson, Moga, The forward from Brisbane, none of them probably fixes Newcastle. However them altogether is a different proposition, and in Ponga and maybe Watson, with time they have potential to get to the top echelon. They will immediately benefit in their development by allowing Pearce to organise things for them.

Honestly, I think Cronk going to the Roosters isn't that of a deal. He is a bit better than Pearce but make no mistake at club level Pearce is a top player. And Cronk will go around for what 2 more years. We also don't know how Cronk will go without Smith although it's probably not a massive risk in fairness.

I think Newcastle are massive massive winners here and perhaps this is Newcastles best signing in many a season. I think Newcastle can become a challenger in 2 years. Without Pearce I wouldn't be as confident.

If my mob had somehow got him (not that it was ever an option), I would have been very excited on the influence he would have.

Valheru

Coach
2- He was reluctant to leave the Roosters, a successful club with plenty of rep players around him to rely on. The Knights are not a successful club and there will be much greater expectation on him. How long is his heart going to be in it

There is no way be could ever have more pressure/expectation on him than he had at the chooks.

He will go well for the Knights

POPEYE

Coach
In relation to this...

1. Forget Origin for a second. He's a highly consistent and successful NRL halfback who has delivered in the finals. There are GOAT types like Cronk and Thurston, but they are nearing retirement so I think Pearce is a good get and not a wham bam thank you ma'am type.

2. In fairness, he has some really good pieces to work with at Newcastle. Lillyman, Guerra, Ponga, Watson, Moga, The forward from Brisbane, none of them probably fixes Newcastle. However them altogether is a different proposition, and in Ponga and maybe Watson, with time they have potential to get to the top echelon. They will immediately benefit in their development by allowing Pearce to organise things for them.

Honestly, I think Cronk going to the Roosters isn't that of a deal. He is a bit better than Pearce but make no mistake at club level Pearce is a top player. And Cronk will go around for what 2 more years. We also don't know how Cronk will go without Smith although it's probably not a massive risk in fairness.

I think Newcastle are massive massive winners here and perhaps this is Newcastles best signing in many a season. I think Newcastle can become a challenger in 2 years. Without Pearce I wouldn't be as confident.

If my mob had somehow got him (not that it was ever an option), I would have been very excited on the influence he would have.
If your mob had him beside Green expectations would've surpassed those of Newcastle

I wonder what Townsend thinks about Gallen getting his knickers twisted about a halfback not coming to the club.
I'd say Townsend wouldn't have cared about wearing the no.6 instead no.7 on his back.
If you would've wondered about Holmes' knickers it may have hit your spot.

Exsilium

First Grade

1: He's worth every cent at club level. He cops a lot of unfair criticism based on his Origin performances. He puts the Roosters in position to win games all the time. Has done for years.

Locky, Joey and Freddy are ancient history.

I would prefer Pearce over Cronk any day.

2 - Most people would be afraid of change. He's come to the knights to challenge himself. Many can see the knights are a few signings and a good run away from changing things. Losing becomes habitual and ingrained in your culture when you've gone through the transitions the Knights have.

Winning is cultural, ground up, top to bottom stuff. You've had a team that wants to win, kept turning up and taking the hits but you need the players who know HOW to win. Guys who know the culture of winning and what being successful is. This stuff takes years to coach into young players but you've gone out and signed it with the likes of Guerra, Pearce, Heighington and Lillyman are experienced and will add to what Browney is trying to build.

I've already put you in for a top 8 finish.

Pearce is hugely competitive and I'd have him at the Panthers in a heartbeat.

OldPanther

Coach
1: He's worth every cent at club level. He cops a lot of unfair criticism based on his Origin performances. He puts the Roosters in position to win games all the time. Has done for years.

Locky, Joey and Freddy are ancient history.

I would prefer Pearce over Cronk any day.

2 - Most people would be afraid of change. He's come to the knights to challenge himself. Many can see the knights are a few signings and a good run away from changing things. Losing becomes habitual and ingrained in your culture when you've gone through the transitions the Knights have.

Winning is cultural, ground up, top to bottom stuff. You've had a team that wants to win, kept turning up and taking the hits but you need the players who know HOW to win. Guys who know the culture of winning and what being successful is. This stuff takes years to coach into young players but you've gone out and signed it with the likes of Guerra, Pearce, Heighington and Lillyman are experienced and will add to what Browney is trying to build.

I've already put you in for a top 8 finish.

Pearce is hugely competitive and I'd have him at the Panthers in a heartbeat.

I agree. Although Freddie will never be ancient history in my heart.

Grail

Juniors
How often has Cronk played without Smith? He has played his entire career at Melbourne, and with Queensland and Australia. He's never wanted for bad dummy half service, he's never wanted for great forwards and he's never wanted for sharp outside men. The acid test will be now that he's in a new environment how he goes. I feel that the Roosters have taken a big gamble, Pearce was good in their system, good with their players and their setup, he didn't have future immortal Smith there to right the ship with him.

Pearce will be a great signing for the Knights. He brings a lot of experience and skill with him. Sure, he's not set the world on fire with NSW when he's worn blue. But let's face it - that QLD side is about the best League team ever assembled. He's always done well at club level. Now all he's got to do is stay away from the nightclubs and the monthly Hillsborough Dog Show......

Latest posts