What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitchell Pearce - Contract Situation

Jono078

Referee
Taylor is off to the Warriors
Wasn’t it just a train and trial contract though?

Don’t know if you can really blame the club here either.

We would’ve slammed them if they offered any longer of a commitment to Pearce.

This is more on Pearce I think if he doesn’t honor the contract but as I said it’s hard to blame him too, he’s probably been offered a really nice contract to finish his career off and it’s security for the next few years.

Basically we’re in this mess for not going all in on Pearce or cutting our ties when we had the chance and moving on. And no I don’t know what would’ve been the right answer. But if we are to cut our ties I do want it to be now rather than it drag on.

PhilGould

Bench
Tough one. He showed some real signs of ageing in the back half of the year. You could say letting him go with no established half replacement kills any chance of us competing next year but I would argue that's the case with or without Pearce. Seems like he'll be gone sooner rather than later.

Harris-Tavita from the Warriors looks like he could be available for cheap. Not much else around, and quality contracted halves generally don't suddenly become available during pre-season. Maybe throw money at Josh Schuster to play his preferred position.

Jono078

Referee
These are some names that I think we could realistically get, whether you'd like them or not is another thing..

Ash Taylor
Chanel Harris-Tavita
Kyle Flanagan
Lachlan Lewis
Dylan Walker
Corey Norman
Cade Cust
Sam Williams
Matt Frawley

Pick of that bunch is probably the top 2. There's some there that are probably too similar to Clifford. Flanagan had a terrible season and I'm not sure what issues he has but I still feel he's a potentially solid First Grader.

PhilGould

Bench
I think Taylor will stick with the Warriors. I would take a chance on CHT but he's certainly no sure thing. Wouldn't touch the rest with a 10ft pole.

If you're going young/unproven anyway I'd be ok with Hodgson being given the #1 jersey on day 1 of pre-season (Ponga/Clifford halves) and sticking with it. Highly doubt that'll be the ideal choice for AOB.

Still Nutty

Juniors
For mine (Like Phil), if Pearce goes, we bite the bullet and get Ponga into the halves from season start and develop him and Clifford as our halves combo.

He is being earmarked for the captaincy, so the 5/8 role will suit. I also think that Clifford would be more comfortable as a controlling/organising half without Pearce in the mix - it was obvious to me this season that Clifford was being made to play second fiddle to appease Pearce's ego but I think he was ready to step up by seasons end and take the reigns.

All this then means is we need to think about who our full back is for 2022? Not sure if Hodgson or Toa are ready for it but I'd prefer to look at those 2 over Hoy being thrown a lifeline to play full back for us or Mann being given the gig...is there any reliable fullbacks on the market that could fill the void until Hodgson is first grade ready?

Spot On

Coach
No brainer Ponga/Clifford in the halves and that QLD representative superstar Origin match winner Gagai to fullback!!!!

There ain’t a player in this country that can return a ball like him. No player with his silky passing skills or absolute tackle busting, line breaking superpowers that he can bring to the No. 1 jersey.

Hallelujah, our prayers have been answered and problems solved!!!

Amen.

Knight Tales

Juniors
This is shit news. Would have been good to have him ease KP into the halves. Now we have another off season which is basically a reboot.

Woosh

Head Moderator
Just need the young lad from England to be safe at the back.
If you look at the two fullbacks from the grand final teams this year, they both weren’t particular skilful/fast/big.
But what they both did well throughout the season were their ability to catch the ball on the full and eat up as many meters on offer.
Edwards had the most kick return meters in the comp but probably is one of the most unskillful fullback in the game.

Latest posts