What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Molly's not so jolly over Hayne being allowed to play

Hurriflatch

Referee
Molly's not so jolly over Hayne being allowed to play

Josh Rakic | October 4, 2009

MELBOURNE officials aren't game to say it, but the Storm's No.1 ticketholder Molly Meldrum has slammed the NRL's handling of Jarryd Hayne's dangerous contact charge, declaring he should not be allowed to play in today's grand final.
''Melbourne Storm can't say but I can because I'm not part of the board - it's bewildering that Cameron Smith didn't play in the grand final last year and we have Jarryd Hayne playing this year. And we've got the same thinking,'' Meldrum said.
''It's a shame we don't have Michael Crocker in the team this week because he could sort of fix up Jarryd Hayne - do a similar thing that Jarryd did last week to Bryson Goodwin, and put him out of the game. That's my thinking at least.
''As much as Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk and Cameron have welcomed that Jarryd Hayne is playing for the Eels, we can't see much difference between his indiscretion to Cameron Smith's of last year.
''Considering Bryce Gibbs from the Tigers did a very similar thing and got three weeks … I don't get it. I'm not sure if that was even as bad as Hayne's. You can use the old Melbourne-Sydney war as an excuse, but it is bewildering.''
Meldrum remains confident his beloved Storm can win their second premiership in three years.
''They have to. I can't have two grand finals lost in the same week, I'm a St Kilda man, too,'' Meldrum said. ''I think they're a lot more switched on this year than last year because we had all the drama with Cameron Smith after the Broncos match and then with the coach and Brian Waldron being fined and the lawsuit threat. It was unsettling for the team, it really was. The fact that our captain wasn't in the team was even more unsettling.''
Meldrum suggested the 17 players that take the field today could rival the victorious 2007 side. ''What didn't dawn on me until this week was that Ryan Hoffman will be playing after missing last year's grand final. He's playing brilliantly and with Cameron back and Brett Finch, plus the blokes that have left like Jeremy Smith, it's a whole different team to the one that lost last year,'' Meldrum said.
''Cooper Cronk was a marked man last year but with Greg Inglis in the centres and everyone back, they're having a field day.
''Some of the former players I've spoken to, including Matty Geyer, are saying that maybe this team is better than the one that played in the 2007 grand final.''
Win or lose, Meldrum will host the Storm players, officials and their partners at his home on Tuesday night to commemorate another successful season.
MOLLY'S GREATEST STORM TEAM
1 Billy Slater
2 Steve Turner
3 Greg Inglis
4 Ryan Hoffman
5 Matt Geyer
6 Dallas Johnson
7 Cooper Cronk
8 Robbie Kearns
9 Cameron Smith
10 Glenn Lazarus
11 Brett White
12 Stephen Kearney
13 Tawera Nikau

http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/hayne-shouldnt-play-molly/2009/10/03/1254418751761.html

Molly = Moron

El Diablo

Post Whore
it's bewildering that Cameron Smith didn't play in the grand final last year and we have Jarryd Hayne playing this year. And we've got the same thinking,'' Meldrum said.

that's because Smith had carry over points

Victorian

yy_cheng

Coach
FFS, you want to beat a team that has all it's stars in it, not a reserve grade team.

To me, they are SCARED

bartman

Immortal
Molly's a St Kilda fan from way back, just dirty that his team lost the AFL grand final last week... didn't know he gave two hoots about league anyway.

strider

Post Whore
hoffman in the centres, white in the 2nd row and johnson at 5/8th? lol

and Turner on a wing over Bai :lol:

just noticed that :lol:

surely Matt King had to take a centre spot.

Molly thought it was AFL and he was allowed 18 players on the field

Bai, King, Scott Hill etc are the 5 players the paper left off
give him a break - he's only been on the bandwagon a couple of years :lol:

gotta feel sorry for molly - both his teams will lose grand finals within the space of a fortnight

''It's a shame we don't have Michael Crocker in the team this week because he could sort of fix up Jarryd Hayne - do a similar thing that Jarryd did last week to Bryson Goodwin, and put him out of the game. That's my thinking at least.

So an admission from the "King of Queens" that Melbourne Storm deliberately coached Michael Crocker to play dirty then?

I don't know if I can stomach a Melbourne win today; not just because I support the Eels (though that would hurt the most), but for the simple fact of what it will mean for Rugby League:

The triumph of a team in a purple uniform; inspired by a Chinese ballet dancer turned stockbroker; with a slobbering, senile nice person as its number one ticket holder!?!?

:pray: :pray: :pray: no, no, no, no, no!

To quote Mickdo: "make it stop!"

Latest posts