What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moltzen breaks silence on Dragons move

RedVDave

First Grade
Moltzen breaks silence on Dragons move, but he's still a Tiger at heart - for now

Michael Chammas

August 2, 2011

ipad-art-wide-22-moltzen-420x0.jpg
Gloves off ... the decision by Tim Moltzen, left, to leave the Tigers and sign a three-year contract with the Dragons prompted a scathing attack from the club's chief executive. Photo: James Brickwood

WESTS Tigers utility Tim Moltzen has broken his silence on the contract saga which sparked an emotional war of words between two of rugby league's biggest clubs.
In his first interview since signing a three-year deal with St George Illawarra, Moltzen yesterday told the Herald he was at peace with his decision, defending his choice to join the Dragons in 2012.
Moltzen's decision to leave the Tigers was greeted with a hasty response from the club's chief executive Stephen Humphreys, who in a scathing attack labelled the Dragons ''arrogant'' and ''disrespectful''.
Advertisement: Story continues below
Humphreys's spray was aimed at the Dragons for the timing of the announcement - it happened just hours before the Tigers played Parramatta last month - but Dragons boss Peter Doust denied any wrong-doing in the matter.
Moltzen is intent on finishing off his time at the Tigers on a high. ''You're not around forever,'' the 22-year-old said ahead of Friday night's blockbuster between the two clubs at the Sydney Football Stadium. ''You have to make the most of the opportunities you have and this is the way it's turned out. I'm happy with the decision.''
Moltzen was reluctant to delve into the politics surrounding the deal when quizzed yesterday, wary of reigniting the topic which was at the forefront of great discussion only weeks ago.
Despite another year left on his contract, the Tigers had given Moltzen permission to talk to other clubs, which led to interest from Cronulla, South Sydney and the Dragons.
The Herald understands that Moltzen's manager Martin Tauber had informed the Tigers of his client's decision three days prior to the Dragons' announcement.
Despite understanding the public interest with his situation, Moltzen was eager to bypass the issue to instead concentrate on starring for the Tigers on Friday night. ''It's a weight off my shoulders,'' Moltzen said. ''I don't have to worry about the issue any more. It's put to bed and my future's decided. All my focus is on the Tigers this year and making a charge towards the premiership.''
Having never met Dragons coach-in-waiting Steve Price before he was given permission to negotiate with other NRL clubs, Moltzen has since met up with his future coach on several occasions to discuss his plans for the future.
But he insists that he hasn't been guaranteed a certain position in the team for 2012. ''We spoke about it because I wanted to know where I stood going to a club like that,'' Moltzen said. ''I suppose we'll see how preseason goes and what he decides to do with me next season.
''I'm happy to play wherever, but for me it's about staying in one spot and trying to better myself in that position. That's what I'll be looking to do - but where that is, I'm not too sure at the moment.''
Moltzen, who lives with Tigers superstar Benji Marshall and is no stranger to a beachside lifestyle having played on the Central Coast, will make the move to Wollongong at the end of the season.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...rt--for-now-20110801-1i892.html#ixzz1TrkGm71n

Mr Red

First Grade
i guess three things stand out in this article..
1. the tigers have no right whinging about Moltzen leaving or the timing of the announcement - if they didnt want bad news then dont give the player the power to negotitate with a year left on a contract... simple as that

2. three clubs were chasing him... souths, the sharks and us... why are we chasing players that only the lesser quality teams have interest in????

3. quote " I wanted to know where I stood going to a club like that" ... obviously Moltzen sees us as a step up from the tigers... i think he is already worried he will be out of his depth at the club and wont get much time in the starting 13...

Breathingfire

Juniors
2. three clubs were chasing him... souths, the sharks and us... why are we chasing players that only the lesser quality teams have interest in????

We needed an outside back and so do Souths and Cronulla.

The first thing that stood out to me about that article is that the photo is of Chris Heighington and not Tim Moltzen.

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The journo certainly dug deep in that article.

I never knew that breaking silence was the same as breaking wind.

nrlnrl

First Grade
We needed an outside back and so do Souths and Cronulla.

The first thing that stood out to me about that article is that the photo is of Chris Heighington and not Tim Moltzen.

maybe the journo had taken a few blows to the head before writing the article

scarcev

Juniors
Wow sorry guys, but you have purchased a dud, worst player on both sides last night (except Gaz probably). Only excuse is he is not a fullback and you blokes wouldnt be playing him there anyway but geez he was ordinary.

MacDougall

First Grade
If you play him at 6 and Soward at 7 or vice versa then you'll have a deadly halves combination. Moltzen has been criminally misused by Tim Sheens. He is not, and never was a fullback.

mepelthwack

Juniors
If you guys actually play Moltzen at 1/2 he will kill it. That's his real position. Sheens has really misused him.

Das Hassler

Bench
He's only 22 and still getting his confidence back after a year off with serious injury..in '09 he was terrific for the tigers. No doubt that when you bought Soward some would have thought "WTF?" and some at the Chooks would have thought.. good riddance...don't write Moltzen off yet

Mr Red

First Grade
Same was said of Soward a while back. ;-)

Bennett coached Soward, he wont be coaching Moltzen.
Soward most likely would still be a dud if the best people manager in the game didnt get his hands on him the last 3 seasons...

Moltzen was pretty awful last night.... i am still yet to be impressed by Moltzen in any game i have seen him in..

i will reserve my judgement until i see what we plan to do with him, but he isnt a fullback thats for sure...

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Bennett coached Soward, he wont be coaching Moltzen.
Soward most likely would still be a dud if the best people manager in the game didnt get his hands on him the last 3 seasons...
Actually Soward came to Saints when Brown was coach in 2007. Brown was still coach in 2008. Soward had already made his mark by the time Bennett came along.

smi962

First Grade
He has already started playing for the Dragons based upon last night. I haven't seen an impressive performance by him either; don't really rate him as a full back where I am assuming he will play.

Mr Red

First Grade
Actually Soward came to Saints when Brown was coach in 2007. Brown was still coach in 2008. Soward had already made his mark by the time Bennett came along.

you're kidding right???

yes i know Brown was coach when soward joined the club... the point i was making is that Soward was still a fringe first grader under Brown - still inconsistent and was in and out of the team a few times and lacked confidence in himself.
it wasnt until Bennett got his hands on him that he turned him into the player we know today - Brown had ZERO ability to get soward's mental game in order..

SilentAssassin

Juniors
you're kidding right???

yes i know Brown was coach when soward joined the club... the point i was making is that Soward was still a fringe first grader under Brown - still inconsistent and was in and out of the team a few times and lacked confidence in himself.
it wasnt until Bennett got his hands on him that he turned him into the player we know today - Brown had ZERO ability to get soward's mental game in order..

I agree. Do you REALLY think Brown did Soward any favours by dropping him before the NRL finals for BEN ROGERS :crazy:. Apparently Gasnier and Cooper had something to do with that as well. But do you think Bennett would do that? No way in the world.

Soward didn't make his mark until 2009. Before that he was just 'potential'. Very inconsistent.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
you're kidding right???
No. He was with us pre-Bennett. But I suspect you know this now.

As for 'fringe first grader', anyone who watched Soward knew he was a match winner. Still, 'fringe first grader' is a tad better than calling him a 'dud' so I'm glad you're coming around a little. ;-)

With Nathan Brown, for all his faults and occasional puzzling decisions (eg the 2008 final against Manly), he was not the worst coach going around. Bennett, upon his arrival at the club, praised Brown and pointed out that he wasn't walking into a basket case. So saying Brown had 'zero ability' in regards to managing players is a bit of a stretch.

Granted Soward got better, and of course he shined under Bennett. But we also saw Soward play a few pealers in 2007/2008. So I don't think it was big task for Bennett the get the best out of Soward. He was already ready to step up to the next level imo.